Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yay or nay? Casting noob needs your feedback...

Boolit Mold

Yay or nay? Casting noob needs your feedback...

Today, I finally did something that I've always wanted to do ever since I got in sport shooting - casting my own boolits. A few weeks back I managed to source an Isotope Core that weighed about 24lbs, was quite a chore melting it down to ingots. I added 1/4lb of 95Sn/5Cu solid wire to it, hoping that the end result would be good enough for what I intend to use it for which is steel plate shooting. And so earlier today I unboxed and assembled my Lee Production Pot, degreased and smoked my 356-124-2R, filled the pot with the ingots and plugged it in. Took me about 2.5 hrs to do the entire 24.25 lbs of alloy, and yielded a little over 1400 boolits. I did a scratch test on one of these boolits and an HSM 125gr Hard Cast RN I had laying around. Even with water quenching it seemed to be just a tiny bit softer than the HSM bullets I have, but I imagine that its not going to be an issue especially when I'm done PC'ing and sizing them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cast_1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	267709

Now I'm showing a photo of the resulting boolits I casted, and I am in need of your honest feedback - how did I do for my first time? Also what do the speckling on the boolits mean? I appreciate everyone's input.

Looks like ya got some inclusions. What was the melts temp and did you flux
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

Powder coat them up and give them a go. Good job. Next time do flux but shouldn't be an issue with powder coating. How's the weather up there now?

Boolit Master

You did a heck of a lot better than I did the first time out. Don't let it go to your head though. We all have a tale of misfortune to tell.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Looks like you have an interesting alloy. A lot of casters try to get copper into their alloy. They say it makes the boolits not harder, but tougher. I think you need to have some antimony in the alloy for it to harden with water quenching. Maybe others will confirm or deny that. Looks like there were some impurities in the lead, but that’s a good job for your first try. Either powder coat or grease them and they should shoot fine.
    Did you weigh them? If you have impurities, that can effect boolit weight. No reason not to shoot them. Just keep the same weights together when shooting, if you’re looking for fine accuracy.
    Welcome to the addiction !

Boolit Master
    I believe it’s the trace arsenic your looking for to get harness increase when water quenching. Reason a lot of casters like wheel weights is cause it has said trace amounts of arsenic to add this ability.

That being said, and someone else please correct me if I’m wrong, you shouldn’t need it terribly hard unless your going for high pressure loads.

Quality and fill out looks nice. Agree on the inclusions, get into wood working or make friends with a cabinet maker so you have plenty of sawdust around. If you can find a friend who does bee keeping even better, nothing beats free bees wax for fluxing.

Boolit Bub
    Bullets look great for first time, like others have said next time flux the pot a couple times. Saw dust and candle wax both work well for this. Bullets should shoot fine though. Nice job.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, inclusions are from dirty alloy. Stir in some sawdust, let it carbonize (it is the carbon that does the job) and stir it into the mix. When it comes to the top scrape it off and dump it. It will have most of your impurities in it. If you get a skim of material on your melt that is the tin oxidizing out - and wax puts it back into the melt. Candle, crayon, beeswax, it really doesn't matter. Put a little wax on your melt and light the smoke, it will burn and you won't have the smell. You will notice you have a shiny surface on your pot again.

But then, you used up all your alloy with your casting! They do look good and very shootable. Hope you can access more alloy.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    If I understand it correctly the bullets freshly cast will age harden and you need to wait a few days before you get the true hardness.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Yup, inclusions are from dirty alloy. Stir in some sawdust, let it carbonize (it is the carbon that does the job) and stir it into the mix. When it comes to the top scrape it off and dump it. It will have most of your impurities in it. If you get a skim of material on your melt that is the tin oxidizing out - and wax puts it back into the melt. Candle, crayon, beeswax, it really doesn't matter. Put a little wax on your melt and light the smoke, it will burn and you won't have the smell. You will notice you have a shiny surface on your pot again.

But then, you used up all your alloy with your casting! They do look good and very shootable. Hope you can access more alloy.
    The thing is, I did that already when I melted down the core into ingots. I carbonized some sawdust and took out the crap, then I tossed in small chunks of Parowax, lit it up and stirred away. I did this process 4 times, alternating between sawdust and wax. I was still getting some material on top when I skim the surface but it was this metal-looking substance which was probably Tin like you said, and so I waxed it again. I thought it was a relatively clean alloy before I started pouring it in my ingot molds, but its not like a "flawless" mirror-like surface on top. There were still traces of where I dragged my spoon across the surface to skim it. What I just now realized is that everything else in my bullet casting equipment was brand new and the only thing I really got to clean was the mold. I used my Lee pot and lead ladle straight from the packaging, that's probably where the crap came from. I did a little bit of parowax in the Lee pot after all the lead was melted, but I skipped the sawdust. Should I have put in the sawdust as well?

Also, I've read posts from other folks saying that the Lee pot could be somewhat inconsistent in keeping temperatures even. What is the ideal bullet casting temperature range inside the melt? About powder coating, some said that baking negates the hardening and quenching will need to be done again after putting on the PC, is this true?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Looks like ya got some inclusions. What was the melts temp and did you flux
    When I was smelting down the core into ingots, temp ranged between 700-750. Kinda hard to keep it consistent because when I bring down the melt to 650 the sides start to solidify (it's kinda cold out here in Alaska). But in the Lee pot when I was actually casting boolits, it was around 700. Yes, I fluxed 4 times before I poured the alloy into ingots, then a few pieces of wax before I cast the boolits.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Looks like you have an interesting alloy. A lot of casters try to get copper into their alloy. They say it makes the boolits not harder, but tougher. I think you need to have some antimony in the alloy for it to harden with water quenching. Maybe others will confirm or deny that. Looks like there were some impurities in the lead, but that’s a good job for your first try. Either powder coat or grease them and they should shoot fine.
    Did you weigh them? If you have impurities, that can effect boolit weight. No reason not to shoot them. Just keep the same weights together when shooting, if you’re looking for fine accuracy.
    Welcome to the addiction !
    I just happen to come across a few spools of "Aquaclean" solid wire so I thought I would put then to good use. Paid $10 for three 1lb spools at a garage sale, I think that was a good deal. I do have a few pounds of antimony and a couple pounds of pure tin wire coming in the mail next week, so I'll try doing the Lyman 2 next time around. Any tips on dealing with Sb? I heard its a much tougher metal to melt and needs to be submerged in the pot?

I will weigh a few of them just to test consistency overall. I use middle load averages for the powder I have so pressures should be safe even if the boolit weight is off by a few grains.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    Powder coat them up and give them a go. Good job. Next time do flux but shouldn't be an issue with powder coating. How's the weather up there now?
    I will be doing just that later today, thank you for the feedback. Weather has been pretty nice lately, although that winter smell in the air is becoming more and more noticeable, definitely colder now.

Banned
    The boolits you cast have a nice shape

I normally cast between 700 and 720° only going higher when I cast pure lead.
    Quench only after PC quenching before can contaminate the boolits (if the water isn't really clean ) and PCing takes out most of what is gained from the first quench. most of the time you won't need sugper hard boolits

looks like there is something in your alloy. I flux several times first with pine sawdust then wax (I don't remove the pine sawdust to do the wax) when I smelt then I repeat the process once in my casting pot.

I gave up on watching the temperature in first my pot then oven. Adding PID's to them made life soo much easier. just set the desired temperature and forget. the PID gets the temperature there and keeps it there with only slight fluctuations.

try spraying your pot and ladle down with brake cleaner and see if that helps.

for short range handgun shooting, a coat of PC and size to .358

The 2 biggest problems loading 9MM

The 2 biggest problems/causes of failure with loading cast in 9MM are OVER-CRIMPING & downsizing the boolit when seating.
    The 9MM has a tapered case.

Crimping, I use the Lee FCD and only crimp to where the boolit won't move when the cartridge is pushed against a hard object.

For seating I like the NOE neck sizing dies so much I talked with a member ob CB who made a Lee powder through die with the NOE profile of several different diameters. I've had good luck expanding the brass using the same diameter expanding plug as the boolit diameter (brass springs back .001 after expanding and that.
    .001 does the job holding the boolit in place!

A 38spcl/357mag expander plug should work also

I used to expand the neck with the NOE neck sizing die the use the Lee powder through setup to charge the case.

Ues a kinetic boolit puller and make sure you're not downsizing the boolit in either of these operations.

this will go a long way toward tightening up your groups and preventing leading/tumbling

Boolit Buddy
    Those look pretty darn good. The boolits will harden in a few days and powder coating will help. The Lee pots are good but there are better ones used out there. Good luck with your casting !!!

Your isocore is probably 94/4/2, adding the wire upped the tin a tad and added almost NO copper. Save it for when you need the tin. New pot will sluff some metal from the pot for a while (as will the ladle), just keep using wax to clean. Sawdust usually stays in the alloy, gets into the valve and causes problems - for bottom drippers. Just PC and shot them,they are fine. i assume its 9mm, may need to WD after PC cooking.
    Whatever!

Looks good, and it always feels good to 'beat the system'.

Don't be afraid of fluxing it too much, and I stir every 10-15 minutes or so to be sure
    the alloy doesn't try to stratify the way muddy water does if ya let it sit still very long..
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Welcome from the lower 48,
    I would say you are on the way
    to the insaniety .
    My advice is keep it simple.
    You will get better with time.

So WELCOME

WHITETAIL
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for all the info, I appreciate it!

Boolit Master
    my main critique would be making 1,400 of something when your not sure if there casted well or correct alloy for the gun ect. why not make 50 and test them before going all in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast