RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Is there a chart that will hull interchange?

Boolit Bub

Is there a chart that will hull interchange?

Looking for a chart that tells you which hulls are interchangeable, like the one they have for the primers......anyone?

I suspect no such critter. Each hull is made to slighly different tolerances. Different materials.

Some have a taper that the wad has to match or you get powder migration.

Easiest answer for me was to buy primed new hulls at reasonable prices from BPI. Rio, Fiochii, etc.
    Then find wads that work for those hulls and work from there.

There is a reason shotgun manuals list thousands of loads with specific hull/wad choices.
    Vary from those choices and there is no way to be sure of the outcome.

With shotguns the tolerances are so much smaller that even a primer change can make the difference between a good load and one that destroys guns.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I buy what ever the gun club I'm visiting, is using. Generally grocery bags full of once fired target hulls at reasonable prices. Pickup several bags and study variations on loading that hull.

The Remington target hulls (STS, Nitro, Gun Club and Field and Clays) and the Winchester AA hulls are largely interchangeable, sometimes requiring a slight loader adjustment. Their "field" or "game" hulls - not so much.

Most European hulls are largely interchangeable, except when they are not.

Federal hulls of most designs are close to the European hulls, but sometimes a little different.

In general, you will want to focus on just one hull manufacturer and "model" and stick with it, to avoid those "sometimes different" details. Makes setting up a loading machine much less work. Makes buying components much easier. Makes consistent load performance very easy to obtain.

Look in the Lyman Shotshell loading manual, 5th edition, for color photos of the hulls from 10 years ago (their last update). Then after considering that most of those exact hulls are not available anymore, you will understand that there is no "exact interchange" table published. Shotshell loading is QUITE a bit different from loading centerfire cartridges.

good luck, garrisonjoe

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not aware of a primer interchangeability chart. Please post source.

Invest in a few loading manuals for shotgun loads.

Garrisonjoe covered it very well.

I used to load 20k shotgun hulls year. I used the same recipes for AA, STS, and Gun-club hulls. The Federal hulls required different wads. I did not bother with junk hulls except for Estate and Top Gun...they loaded like the Federal target hull but I would only use them once due to tge paper base wad.
    Last edited by dverna; 09-14-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the help with the hulls!
    Now I have another question, I am loading steel #2 shot and the load calls for "one P.R. Trprw123" wad, what is the one P.R? I have the Trprws123 wad. Also what is B.P and R.S? related to wads.

Sorry for the dumb question, I got it!
    Last edited by msta999; 09-15-2020 at 12:26 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I am not aware of a primer interchangeability chart. Please post source.

Invest in a few loading manuals for shotgun loads.

Garrisonjoe covered it very well.

I used to load 20k shotgun hulls year. I used the same recipes for AA, STS, and Gun-club hulls. The Federal hulls required different wads. I did not bother with junk hulls except for Estate and Top Gun...they loaded like the Federal target hull but I would only use them once due to tge paper base wad.
    I have quite a few, but they don't always cover everything/component. One load calls for 3" Fiocchi hulls for 1 3/8 oz dangerous game slugs (DGS), but I would rather not use that hull, it is cheap, I would rather stick with Remington, Winchester or Federal, that is why I was looking for an interchange.

Sorry, I just noticed you were talking about primer interchange, I have that. Primer comparison.pdf

Boolit Master

PR = precision reloading another component vendor
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Let me save you a bunch of headache. Those wads you mention, the PR stands for Precision Reloading, a great supplier. Their wads though, take those and throw them right in the garbage.

There is no 100% interchange for hulls. Both the internal designs, as well as the primers are different. For the most part, 209 primers do not interchange at all. That chart you posted is false. the CCI 209 and CCI 209M are miles apart. They can't safely be interchanged. The Federal 209 hasn't been made in at least 20 years, and the Federal 209A is again a mile apart. They can't interchange. Fiocchi primers are a different size. While you could presumably squeeze a FIO 616 into an American hull, the reverse results in a primer falling right out of the pocket. The only two I will interchange on that chart are the Federal 209A and CCI 209M.

While I personally consider Cheddite/Fiocchi hulls to be close enough to a Federal plastic base hunting hull, due to the primer differences, swapping may not be an option.

If you really want to load steel shot, buy SAM1 wads (either 2 3/4" or 3" depending on what you are loading) and the steel shot reloading manual from Bucks Run Sports. They are phone order only, and a joy to work with. 507-356-2195

Most of the data in that manual is worked around a Winchester 209 primer. The highest performance steel shot loads use Alliant STEEL powder, but there is plenty of other data in there for powders like Bluedot, 800x, and SR4756. They use mostly american hulls, many being Federal. The SAM 1 wads provide both greater patterns and higher speeds than any other steel shot wad I ever found. I loaded steel for around 10 years before I finally gave it up instead for bismuth shot.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to get an idea of what substituting primers will do to pressures .... here is an interesting article:

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm

Boolit Master
    the only charts ive seen on different shotgun primers is on pages 45 and 46 of Lyman 5th edition shotshell reloading handbook and it shows the huge pressure differences in one particular shotshell load using different common primers. in the same book is a chapter that shows diagrams or pictures of many different shoshells and you can see the full size pictures of all the differences there are to internal shapes and construction.

Get a Lyman shot she’ll reload book and read it all the information you need

There is also some hulls out of the US are take different primers then the US that is mainly 209. If you go back many years ago Rem had there own primers for 410. Not anymore . Some hulls you can get by with Federal data , use it at your risk. Depends on what you looking to use and get out of the load you use or want. There is some hulls that have the primer pockets little bigger then the US 209 are . those take the European primers . I do not have my data that I wrote down to keep track of what hulls and size primers and what data will be able to use Federal data. I do have the Lyman shot shell manuals the only one I have missing is if I remember is #3 manual. I have all the others .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, there used to be more than one American shotgun primer. The #57 being one of the more common ones. As far as I know, they have not been used since the 80's though, so I wouldn't worry about that. All the current American hulls use the same size 209 primer. There are a few different shotgun primers in Europe though, they are not standardized like ours.

But do you remember not all 209’s are like they may be the same size but they are different ..

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Yes, there used to be more than one American shotgun primer. The #57 being one of the more common ones. As far as I know, they have not been used since the 80's though, so I wouldn't worry about that. All the current American hulls use the same size 209 primer. There are a few different shotgun primers in Europe though, they are not standardized like ours.
    Yes you got it , it is the #57 was the ones I was thinking of. I still have some left and the 410 hulls that take them. Yes the some from Europe that is a little larger then the 209. I try out to reload shotgun primers and found that and how they fit. If you want to get all the primer pockets to be the same BPI have a tool you can use to fix the primer pocket for loose primers here is the link https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Un...tinfo/0740010/ Also you read the reviews on the tool will say some of the hulls that will need to be fix for 209.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

I have that primer pocket tool. It does work to some extent, but it is terribly disruptive of flow. You are best off depriming, and sizing a bunch of hulls, then resizing the primer pocket, before trying to load them. I'm currently using it on some Fiocchi 16 gauge hulls, as I save my Federals for hunting loads. One way I used to load Rio hulls, was to set either my MEC supersizer, or the sizer on my MEC sizemaster to really crush the shell down. Not only did it resize the hull, it also squished the primer pocket down enough to hold an American 209 primer. It took quite a bit of force, I think it sized the hull nearly .010" under what a normally sized hull would be. I used Rio hulls once, then threw them away.