WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 240gr extremes loaded to 1250fps,enough or not

Boolit Master

240gr extremes loaded to 1250fps,enough or not

i know its not common to load self defence rounds with plated bullets,but i think a 44mag loaded with 240gr non expanding bullets at 1250fps will stop most anything at short yardage,

If bad guys are stacked in you doorway, you'd be fine. But if you're in a crowd, you'll likely wound a bystander.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 09-13-2020 at 03:25 AM.

Or a neighbor standing behind his refrigerator. My 44
    Self defense rounds consist of a rb over 10 grains of unique in a special case
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    They’re only for home defense or shtf times,and a bit easier for everyone else to handle than my hunting loads

1000 fps would be fine imho. Still faster than .45 acp with a better boolit profile. Lots of data for fast pistol or shotgun powder and many rounds per pound. Still be very careful of over penetration.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Xtreme bullets are plated,, and excessive velocity can cause stripping issues of the plating. Yet,, they can be loaded a bit hotter/faster than many lead alloy bullets. Most folks load them using lead bullet loading data.
    As to their effectiveness, the load you listed would be more than enough to easily pass through a human. As to actual stopping power,, it's all in WHERE the bullet hits that determines that result.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43TC240.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	267687

That should work! Plenty of penetration. Plenty of energy. And about as much wound mass as a .38 snubby shooting target wadcutters.

Boolit Master
    good to know,ive got a lot of those loaded too

I think you'd be better off with a quality 180gr JHP from SIERRA

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    if i was going to spend money on expensive bullets id have bought 240gr ftx or xtp,these were to load a lot of ammo cheap. 59 dollars for 500 bullets and its to hot here to be casting right now

Boolit Buddy
    Well, at least you didn't scrimp on powder!

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    good vid,pettypace.i use titegroup and cfe pistol for light loads and lil gun and 110 for hunting rounds

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    i know its not common to load self defence rounds with plated bullets,but i think a 44mag loaded with 240gr non expanding bullets at 1250fps will stop most anything at short yardage,
    yes and no. Ive shot many deer with cast bullets at 25-100 yards. Ive also shot them with 500 linebaughs and 475s. Didnt make much differnce. If you hit them and didnt hit the spine or central nervous system then sure will live long enough that if they were a human they surely could pump a few shots your way. If i was using my 44 mag (and have) for self defense id load it with some 180 hps. there going to give a bigger wound channel that will increase the chance of hitting the nervous system or causing more traumatic bleeding that will stop the bad guy faster. The cost of a box of bullets over using cheaper plated sure isnt worth my life. Even then a 44 mag isnt going to do to someone what you saw dirty harry do. The forte of cast bullets in the 44 or for that matter any handgun used for hunting is long would channels and the ability to bust through bone on large animals and deep penetration for raking shots. There forte is not dropping animals in there tracks. Matter of fact more times then not an animal shot with one will run out of sight. Im not a fan of plated bullets. There nothing but a coated (just like a pc bullet) bullet. Usually the manufactures use soft lead because its cheaper and they deform when hitting something and dont even penetrate as well as a hard cast flat nosed bullet. All that said a 44 mag with about any bullet will be just as effective as any 9mm load but again the 9s sure arent something youd count on drop everything you shot in its tracks. But given a choice for the little advantage a 44 gives you im not carrying around a 3lb gun all day when i can carry a 9 that weights a third as much. If your talking home defense and want to stop someone put the handguns in the safe and put a 12 guage with buck or at least an ar15 by your bed. THere MUCH more likely to stop something fast then ANY handgun.

Boolit Master
    Lloyd the 44 isnt my first choice it just a choice,the 12gauge and ar are front runners but i like to be ready with the 10 calibers of hand guns i have between 22lr and 500 s&w

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    Lloyd the 44 isnt my first choice it just a choice,the 12gauge and ar are front runners but i like to be ready with the 10 calibers of hand guns i have between 22lr and 500 s&w
    heck buddy every gun in my house is loaded and ready in case i grab it. An unloaded gun is just a heavy stick.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    heck buddy every gun in my house is loaded and ready in case i grab it. An unloaded gun is just a heavy stick.
    yes sir and with living in the woods were always killing something in the yard,we dont shoot our yard deer but hogs,coyotes and armadillos are purty common

Boolit Master
    Unless you expect your opponents to be behind a tree or automobile, I think you're using about half-again more velocity than you really need. Except for out of a carbine, 240 gr. @ 1200 f/s gives considerable recoil, from which you must recover, for your next shot. Drop your velocity to 800 - 1000 f/s, and you reduce recoil, plus time required to acquire the next target and fire. I've never heard of a short-range confrontation in which its participants weren't HORRIBLY pressed for time to react/respond. Fractions of a second spent recovering from more recoil than necessary can cost the defender dearly.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Unless you expect your opponents to be behind a tree or automobile, I think you're using about half-again more velocity than you really need. Except for out of a carbine, 240 gr. @ 1200 f/s gives considerable recoil, from which you must recover, for your next shot. Drop your velocity to 800 - 1000 f/s, and you reduce recoil, plus time required to acquire the next target and fire. I've never heard of a short-range confrontation in which its participants weren't HORRIBLY pressed for time to react/respond. Fractions of a second spent recovering from more recoil than necessary can cost the defender dearly.
    Bingo. Go shoot at 3, 5, 7 and 10 yards. On the beep, draw and put 2 shots on the B27 target. A 44 240 grain bullet at 7-900 FPS most likely kills just as good and gets a fast follow up if needed.

To use a cartridge that will penetrate 3 at one time may carry legal implications. LEOs operation within SOP have some legal coverage. Civilians are thrown to the lawyer wolfs. I have heard a LEO who’s department has a few MP5s that they are told that a lawyer is assigned to every bullet combing out of that gun. Just my .02.

Vendor Sponsor

Personally I would not give a DA, Judge, Lawyer or prosecutor ANYTHING they could use in their favor.

Handloads belong in the deer woods or at the range, maybe, MAYBE at one's home residence, but not for edc on the street. Especially not hot loads that will over penetrate and further libel the shooter beyond a justifiable self defense.

DA told a judge in a podunk NC courtroom where I was charged with a concealed weapon, that "Oh your honor, he was driving around LOOKING for somebody to shoot" because I had one in the chamber and it was cocked and locked. The judge scowled at me, and I told them there isn't a LEO anywhere that carries a 1911 that doesn't carry in condition 1. Words falling on deaf ears.

Trust me, your opponents will use EVERYTHING you give them against you. I carry store bought pistol, store bought ammo, I have since adopted a striker fired carry gun so it doesn't have the hammer cocked back to menace the county judge or any of his spineless minions.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast