Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: .30 or .290 RB mold, maybe frankford Arsenal

Boolit Buddy

.30 or .290 RB mold, maybe frankford Arsenal

Anyone know where I can get a true #1 buck mold that doesn't involve nipping sprues?
    I've been eyeing the old .30 Frankford Arsenal molds and wondering what size they would cast with hardball.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast with the LEE #1 buck, and I don't nip sprues. I cast all my buckshot balls with WW, I assume this is the same as "hardball"

Boolit Buddy
    Does Lee still make a #1 buck mold?

Boolit Master
    I’d try this if I wanted to cast #1 . https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...2/3/LEE-310-6C
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Sapp View Post
    Does Lee still make a #1 buck mold?
    It doesn't appear so, bit for about $22, Amazon still makes them.

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION...%2C1483&sr=8-5

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I’d try this if I wanted to cast #1 . https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...2/3/LEE-310-6C
    That looks like the bee's knees to have, instead of a two holer, but it is a backorder item. Since it is LEE, and LEE doesn't even list the .311 #1 buck on their site anymore, I wonder if this is a pipe dream waiting on this backorder?

Boolit Buddy
    I can find .311 lees used, or order one from MP molds, but that's really a single ought.

What I'd really like is something that will cast at .290, so I can duplicate the Winchester/Remington 24 pellet #1 Buck loads.

Those are loaded with with a .296/.290 ball.

This thread explains what I'm trying to do. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-1-Buck-loads

I have an old Lyman mould that drops an even.30 has the standard sprue plate and cuts clean but it's pretty dang slow going as it's just a single cavity. LOL Gp

Boolit Buddy
    I'd take a single cavity, if that's all I could get.

I probably don't shoot 10 loads a year of buckshot, it's just that I can't buy what I want anymore.

Boolit Master

I can find .311 lees used, or order one from MP molds, but that's really a single ought.

What I'd really like is something that will cast at .290, so I can duplicate the Winchester/Remington 24 pellet #1 Buck loads.

Those are loaded with with a .296/.290 ball.

This thread explains what I'm trying to do. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-1-Buck-loads
    Track of the wolf had them last night!!!

They aint under "buck shot". Look under round balls. (I just bought one last week). I ordered a .330 last night. (18 cav)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I've been using the TOTW 6-cavity .310" diameter for my buckshot needs. Using 92-6-2 alloy it casts right at .310". T he sprues are cut cleanly, tangential to the pellet's body. I water-drop the pellets while casting and then tumble them for 12 hours to make them as round as possible. It doesn't take long to make up 20# of really good buckshot. Hope this helps!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

A one cavity mold for buckshot? Yuck!

I don't know why, but Ballistic Products appears to be sold out of every single buckshot size right now. Normally their #2 1/2 would be what you want. Unless there was a vintage mold once upon a time, nobody currently makes a .290" ball mold that also has a sprue cutter. Since you only want to make a couple pounds of shot, why is cutting sprues by hand a deal breaker?

Boolit Buddy
    That was my original plan, to just order the 2 1/2 from BP.
    It's not just them, there's no buckshot larger than #3 available anywhere I can find.

Boolit Master

That was my original plan, to just order the 2 1/2 from BP.
    It's not just them, there's no buckshot larger than #3 available anywhere I can find.
    Vendor/Sponsor "Casting Machine" has some really nice #00 for sale in the Swapping & Selling thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...kshot-hardcast
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

I have an old Lee 32 RB single cavity. It sat on the shelf for 30+ years at a local mom and pop for 12 bucks. I use it when I am moderating my casting cadence using 2 molds. Oddly, I found that I had made quite a pile of little round balls without really thinking about it.

I am considering getting a #1 buck mold that it multi cavity multi ball. I found that clipping the RBs with toenail clippers for my dog as that goes rather fast. I then ASBBPC the balls and throw them in the vibratory tumbler. Spue marks disappear, PC stays intact. There is just something about shooting tin cans wih buckshot, and not spending a buck a pop to do so. 69 cal RBs are fun to shoot instead of slugs. Special wad, holds 4" at 50 yards all day from an IC Rem M870 riot gun.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    I am considering getting a #1 buck mold that it multi cavity multi ball. I found that clipping the RBs with toenail clippers for my dog as that goes rather fast.
    The Do-It mold for slingshot ammo does a not-too-horrible job. I’m sometimes able to just pick up a stringer of them and twist the shot off like I’m opening a tube of toothpaste. Like you, I’ve found that tumbling (Harbor Freight rotary works fine) knocks the spruce down really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    I have an old Lee 32 RB single cavity. It sat on the shelf for 30+ years at a local mom and pop for 12 bucks. I use it when I am moderating my casting cadence using 2 molds. Oddly, I found that I had made quite a pile of little round balls without really thinking about it.

I am considering getting a #1 buck mold that it multi cavity multi ball. I found that clipping the RBs with toenail clippers for my dog as that goes rather fast. I then ASBBPC the balls and throw them in the vibratory tumbler. Spue marks disappear, PC stays intact. There is just something about shooting tin cans wih buckshot, and not spending a buck a pop to do so. 69 cal RBs are fun to shoot instead of slugs. Special wad, holds 4" at 50 yards all day from an IC Rem M870 riot gun.
    Frank, which wad are you using in that load?

unknown

Boolit Master

I will have to look up the manufacturer, but the wad basically looks like it could be loaded either way as both ends are cupped like a gas seal. Okay, looked it up, Ballistic Products Brush wad. First link is website, second is image.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013115381?pid=713054

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-i...pg?imwidth=320
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!