Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: need help identifying a old gang mold

need help identifying a old gang mold

It is .458 diameter, approximately 500grs and the mold is all bronze and massive. their are no marks of any maker or inspector, the fellow I got it from got it from an older gentleman that got it out of Arizona before 1970. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0097.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	267642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0094.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	267643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0095.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	267644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0093.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	267645

Welcome to the forum! Personally, I've never seen one like that. Almost looks like it was made from a heavy duty set of pruning shears, but I'm sure that's not the case I can't imagine why it's pointed on the end. Someone here will likely know.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Personally, I've never seen one like that. Almost looks like it was made from a heavy duty set of pruning shears, but I'm sure that's not the case I can't imagine why it's pointed on the end. Someone here will likely know.
    thank you, I have been here before, just couldn't remember all the details so I had to do everything over. Love this site.

I was thinking Tin snips, It might be a black smith job, but why a gang mold is the big question?

Boolit Grand Master
    The business end does resemble a set of tin snips.

Looks to me like someone was preparing to shoot a lot of .45-70, but I have to wonder how it would be to cast with that mold.

Robert

Banned
    Welcome back to cast boolits Bud Hartrampf

That thing is a BEAST.

I'm not a fan of dipper casting but with the behemoth that would be the way to go.

Courious -- how heavy is it.

I thought for certain one of our mold experts would have identified it by now. It's odd enough looking to have been a "one of" or perhaps a very limited production run-- certainly not a common item. But, for sure, whoever made it either had a good cherry or was adept at making his own, as the cavities look very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Welcome back to cast boolits Bud Hartrampf

That thing is a BEAST.

I'm not a fan of dipper casting but with the behemoth that would be the way to go.

Courious -- how heavy is it.
    according to my scale, it weighs 5lbs, I do have a bottom pour pot that has been modified for my 8 bore molds, I was going to try that. I think the biggest thing would be how to heat it up in the first place and then keeping enough lead hot to feed it. I will probably need to get a 20# pot and like you suggested, a large dipper just to feed the dang thing..

It would be odd that someone would go to all the trouble of making a model to just cast one item out of bronze, when they could of just modified the shears and made a normal set of blocks. You may have hit the nail on the head for a limited run though....but, by who is the question and should mill the top of the mold and the bottom of the sprue plate so I can use it, or is it a real collector piece and not touch it at all?? As it is, right now it wont cast a clean base on the bullets.

Banned
    You wouldn't have to cast very long with that to get enough boolits / or empty a pot LOL.

Boolit Master
    bronze/brass. I think the molds I have made of brass or bronze or whatever is used are some of the best. if you can find someone to resurface the top and sprue plate heating it up on a hot plate might be the way to go

My guess would be someone made it via sand cast method using tin snips as the base for the hinge, building up where needed. Then they machined the cavities. Might have been a young adult as a project for school or just to keep him and his brothers in ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    My guess would be someone made it via sand cast method using tin snips as the base for the hinge, building up where needed. Then they machined the cavities. Might have been a young adult as a project for school or just to keep him and his brothers in ammo.
    That makes sense to me.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Given it provenance could this have been something used by Army troops stationed in the Southwest during the Indian Wars. Construction looks too good to be something home made. Gang molds were made by Frankfort arsenal for use by units to cast their own bullets and also supplied loading tools.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome back. Great new post! Interested to know how the blocks are attached to the handles...
    My Anchor is holding fast!