Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38 Special Loads

Boolit Grand Master
    The information I provided suggesting right away that W231 was much preferable to Universal was useless? I am curious as to what prompted your suggestion that I provided no useful input.

The question was.....“What would your pick be for a good mid-range/upper range with those bullet and the new found powders?”

I said my pick was W231 over Universal, and exactly why.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.M View Post
    Do they have 20 years of experience, or 1 year of experience 20 times? I understand it's difficult for same to answer a simple question. I know some enjoy telling you how a watch is made when you ask for the time. Those are the 1 year of experience 20 times kind of guys. I figure I made it 55 years, with 29 of them on active duty that I'll survive a few more, BRO
    Do whatever works best for ya.

In my humble experience:
    I've found that the less rude I am, the more others are willing to help me.
    Especially here, we ain't on the base any more, it's best to resume normal behavior here.

There wasn't much of a learning curve on that one.
    It's one lesson applied thousands of times.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-13-2020 at 11:32 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Not to hijack this thread, but antagonistic comments aside, what is a good use of Universal Clays in handgun reloading? I have read many comments that it is "about the same" as Unique, but can it be used with safety and accuracy in mid rang loads and above in some calibers? GF

Geeeezzzzz... Haters gonna hate!
    If you can find a more versatile handgun powder than W231/HP38 I'd sure like to know what it is! It will work well with any of your various .38 bullets/boolits.
    As far as Unique vs. Universal... with a couple of caveats they're kinda/sorta interchangeable. The really "unique" thing about Unique is that from wimpy to wild, the energy per grain of powder is pretty much linear. You'll get a proportional increase in velocity for a proportional increase in charge weight. At minimum charge weights you'll probably get sooty cases, lots of smoke and erratic velocities, but no dangerous pressure excursions. Increase the charge and you'll see an improvement in performance till you approach maximum charge for the application. You'll find very few powders with this versatility.
    Universal, on the other hand, works best in the middle of its useful range. If your charge is too low you're not going to be happy with the results. As you approach maximum charges, Universal is more prone to pressure spikes than Unique.
    If you're happy with your Unique loads then you can probably substitute Universal without any issues.

I don't know how W296/H110 got into this discussion, but if you're not using these in your magnum handgun loads you're missing out on some outstanding performance.

YMMV
    Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    HP38/W231 is excellent for 38 Special from minimum to +P charges.
    For me, Universal worked so well in 9mm that I used up all the Universal I had loading that caliber.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Boolit Grand Master
    As mentioned, Universal works great in higher pressure, small capacity cases.

Its velocity variation is excessive in larger capacity lower pressure cartridges. Most particularly as powder shifts in the case as it is wont to do under such conditions. It is beyond bad in the 32 Long to the point of being near useless.

This thread has run it's course, and is closed.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12