Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OK....This is not a rifle...anyone own one?

Banned

In Winter, I hunt squirrels when I can, usually sitting on a ride overlooking an area where they move through. I keep a beat up old Stevens 94 16 gauge in the barn and I like it, but don't shoot it a whole lot. Anyway, I was sitting there with it when five came out of a hollow in a big cotton wood tree and scattered. Despite me being unpracticed and having spare shells in a pocket where not easily accessable, I managed to kill three. I doubt any of my pumps would have made any difference.

If I need rapid repeat shots, of course I carry a pump.If I want to hunt classily with two quick shots, of course I carry a SxS. If I’m just taking care of business on the farm or riding the river, the 5#/$100 single is the best. As far as longevity, my 1972 H&R Topper Jr. has fired many thousands of rounds from Dove&Quail specials to shoulder taxing Roman Candles and it’s still tight and has never failed me. A few ejection failures due to dirty chamber is the exception. And the short action provides a short OAL that helps it fit lots of places. I had a Beretta 12 gauge folder that weighed 4.5# and I took it to Kansas once for pheasants. What a pleasure to carry for miles of crop rows and drop roosters with.

Boolit Grand Master
    I still have not decided to pull the trigger on the little single shot. I may decide to find a beater Mossberg 500 and cut the barrel to 18 1/2 inches. We use Mossbergs for home defense and there is an advantage in using one action for my fiancé who does not shoot as much as I do. She seems to lean towards getting the Mossy even it is more money.

Appreciate all the opinions and shared experiences.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I'm in the Texas by god camp, I want quick follow up shots, but sold for $84 is hard to beat. ive seen old bolt action and pump shotguns for sale for $100-$200 before the latest shortages began. ive got an old ugly rusty Winchester 94 that shoots just fine just how it is.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Had a H&R in 410 and 10 gauge turkey edition. Wish I still had my 410.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Why wouldn't a pump gun be faster to first shot? Or do you carry the single shot with a round in the chamber?
    The pump either requires loading its magazine then pumping one into the chamber or a very awkward direct to chamber loading, but singles only require a direct and easy loading into their chamber. This makes them quicker from empty to loaded; and that they are also, typically, lighter and shorter lends them a small extra speed advantage from loaded to first shot.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like a Hatfield with a plastic stock.
    http://hatfieldguncompany.us/store/category/sgl/

I have one in .410 that I bought from Walmart for $99. It functions, which is all I really hoped for. The down sides, at least on mine, are:
    The trigger is very heavy but at least crisp. The hammer is powered by a leaf spring and is heavy and hard to pull back due to it's shape. To open the action you slide the trigger guard to the rear, on mine it some times wants to hang up and not slide to release the action.

It is functional but not great. I actually have mine disassembled right now to make some other modifications so I have been deburing and smoothing corners so hopefully it works better when reassembled.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    The pump either requires loading its magazine then pumping one into the chamber or a very awkward direct to chamber loading, but singles only require a direct and easy loading into their chamber. This makes them quicker from empty to loaded; and that they are also, typically, lighter and shorter lends them a small extra speed advantage from loaded to first shot.
    But why wouldn't you leave the pump gun loaded with an empty chamber?

Boolit Master
    I don't know about other pumps but the rem 870 is very fast to load from an open action if done properly. From shouldered with an open action, grab a shell with your left hand and hold it between your pinky and your pointer finger with the brass against your pinky. Reach under the gun and push the shell in the ejection port brass end in first and push the slide forward.
    The only way faster is to keep the gun in condition 2 with mag full, bolt closed, safety off and trigger pulled. All you have to do is run the slide back and forth and it's ready to shoot. Unless kept with one in the chamber the single shot is not very fast to load.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    But why wouldn't you leave the pump gun loaded with an empty chamber?
    Because that is considered loaded and depending on where it is carried could be against the law.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post
    Because that is considered loaded and depending on where it is carried could be against the law.
    Exactly....

That is the problem where I live. Worse than that, the gun must be in a case or have a trigger lock to be carried on a UTV. I have a solution for the case issue. Either a quick opening hard case attached to the underside of the roof, or a case/scabbard on the side of the UTV.
    Don Verna

I have a wood stocked "folder" made in Italy. Mine is a 12ga with a 28" barrel. Even with a slip on recoil pad, it kicks like a "mule" due to its super light weight. It is handy to fold up and throw behind the seat of a truck or a storage bin of an RV. To mitigate the recoil, I use one of Lane's 20ga adapters making it very "tame" to shoot. And, I keep it in a "silicon" gun sock to keep the rust at bay. While it's a handy alternative to NEF's or H&R's single barrel SS shotguns, I really prefer the "exposed" hammer of those U.S. made guns over the folding foreign "hammerless" designs for safety and function.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Exactly....

That is the problem where I live. Worse than that, the gun must be in a case or have a trigger lock to be carried on a UTV. I have a solution for the case issue. Either a quick opening hard case attached to the underside of the roof, or a case/scabbard on the side of the UTV.
    OK, I understand now.

Boolit Buddy
    Take a look at the Mossberg Maverick. When my son wanted to try dove hunting, I bought him the youth model in 20 ga. Basically a model 500 with a crossbolt safety. Academy still has them for $200. Comes in 12ga, too. Nice pump shotgun for a very reasonable price.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCcactus View Post
    Take a look at the Mossberg Maverick. When my son wanted to try dove hunting, I bought him the youth model in 20 ga. Basically a model 500 with a crossbolt safety. Academy still has them for $200. Comes in 12ga, too. Nice pump shotgun for a very reasonable price.
    If I bet another Mossberg is will be the same as the rest. In a moment of stress/panic, I want all the controls identical.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Do yourself a favor and get the mossberg.
    Charter Member #148

Just a question. Why not a rifle? I've never been much on shotguns myself. I carry a Ruger American Ranch in 300 BO. 1st generation rotary mag. I can just pop the mag in and chamber quickly when needed. I know it's a lot more money than the single shot shotgun. Just wondering.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyephil View Post
    Just a question. Why not a rifle? I've never been much on shotguns myself. I carry a Ruger American Ranch in 300 BO. 1st generation rotary mag. I can just pop the mag in and chamber quickly when needed. I know it's a lot more money than the single shot shotgun. Just wondering.

I was looking for something I can leave on the Kawasaki Mule all the time and not “baby”. Basically a “barn gun” for the UTV. If I need to trash a $100 gun after 10 years I do not care.

I had an old .30/30 I was going to use but I can not load it quickly.

Another beat up Mossberg now seems the front runner.
    Don Verna

Understand not wanting to spend much on one that you are going to leave there all the time. I just figure I'm better off with a rifle because it will be a coyote, pig or ground hog I'll be shooting at and probably a bit farther than I'd try with a shotgun. But I don't leave my gun in my UTV. I just carry it out when I go, sometimes.

I probably don't give the shotgun it's due. Just never shot one much.

My son won a single shot 20ga youth model years ago. It's so light it kicks like a mule.

Boolit Buddy
    How about a cheap older bolt-action shotgun? I hear they can be had for $150 nowadays. I have paid $50 for a working one a few years ago.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast