WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
PBcastco Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK....This is not a rifle...anyone own one?

Boolit Grand Master

OK....This is not a rifle...anyone own one?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877890571

I did not see a section for shotguns so forgive me for posting here.

I want a cheap knock about "farm" gun I can carry on my tractor and more importantly on my Kawasaki Mule. It is for coyotes and protection from two legged critters when we are on remote trails. Nice to have if a black bear gives us trouble. I will keep the gun on the Mule and tractor at all times. Both are stored indoors but in unheated garages. I do not care if they get a bit of rust one them but will spray them with Barrier or WoolWax for some protection.

Has anyone seen one of these and have any comments?

I have a really nice SxS 12 ga that was tuned for CAS that would be ideal but it is too valuable for this task. My other option is to get a beat up Mossberg 500 and cut down the barrel, but they are going for $300+
    Don Verna

Odd-- I don't see a brand name anywhere on the GB listing. It looks a lot like the Investarms Italian-made shotgun, but I think a very similar design has also been made in Turkey and S.America. Probably very good for what you want to do with it.

Boolit Buddy

I bought a Hawk 982 for around $180 for that purpose. It's a chinese 870, seems ok, probably as good as a new Remington.

Looks like the brand may be fedarm sounds Chinese
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

I'd go with a Mossberg.

Whatever a single shot can do, a pump can do better.

If you need more than one shot, you've got it.
    You'll forget about patting yourself on the back and smiling over how much money you saved buying the single shot.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Might be. Under "Item Characteristics" it says Manufacturer: Other Manufacturer. Not too informative. interesting that it says it's available because of a cancellation by a big box store. I saw something very similar in a Bi-Mart about 2 weeks ago at about the $169.00 price, but didn't examine it.

Anyway, for carrying on a tractor or mule it should do the job nicely.

The Fed Arms SS12 was made in Turkey, MSRP is $121.00 USD: https://fedarm.com/product/ss12-12-ga/

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

This H&R Topper is Mule approved as have been several other brands of single shot shotgun. Mine has simple auto paint for rust protection. It stays in the scabbard behind the seat with an empty chamber but I can draw it, load it, and catch a fleeing pig and buckshot it within seconds. This is a 20 gauge, but it sounds like you need a 12 for your area. I'm going to PM some pics and tales of others that we use to you later. If that Turk is as well built as a Yildiz, it looks like a lightweight powerhouse to me. We have four Mules on the farm, and everyone has it's own little problem solver in it 24/7/365.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What bh ya got there

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    This H&R Topper is Mule approved as have been several other brands of single shot shotgun. Mine has simple auto paint for rust protection. It stays in the scabbard behind the seat with an empty chamber but I can draw it, load it, and catch a fleeing pig and buckshot it within seconds. This is a 20 gauge, but it sounds like you need a 12 for your area. I'm going to PM some pics and tales of others that we use to you later. If that Turk is as well built as a Yildiz, it looks like a lightweight powerhouse to me. We have four Mules on the farm, and everyone has it's own little problem solver in it 24/7/365.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Love it!!

Really like the revolver set up too.
    Don Verna

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd go with a Mossberg.

Whatever a single shot can do, a pump can do better.

If you need more than one shot, you've got it.
    You'll forget about patting yourself on the back and smiling over how much money you saved buying the single shot.
    I disagree. Single shots point and carry better than anything. Every man should have several, I personally prefer the Savage/Stevens Model 94 and 220 singles, but the H&Rs are great too.

Banned

There are plenty of older singles around, but what you're looking for that's still produced is here; https://www.shootmidland.com/

The handgun is a Ruger Wrangler .22 ( with BH cheapie grips)and it goes along often. And it’s fairly weatherproof as is.It fits in the Streamlight holder well.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I disagree. Single shots point and carry better than anything..
    Yeah, probably so. I just never warmed up to them.
    The closest I ever got to liking a single shot was a Browning 12ga. side by side.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

It is underappreciated that for vehicle guns what singleshots give up in capacity they gain in speed of unloaded to critically important first shot. Fastest from unloaded to first shot from an overthought and tried nerdy approach to vehicle gun selection: rolling block, falling block, singleshot bolt, singleshot break action, double break action ...
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Why wouldn't a pump gun be faster to first shot? Or do you carry the single shot with a round in the chamber?

I do agree that general field use a single shot is the most economical choice.

Singleshots do typically weigh less.

Boolit Buddy

I never did care for single shots or doubles for that matter. Growing up, some of the kids got a Stevens single shot for their first shotgun, dad bought me a 20ga High Standard pump when I was 12. I have carried a pump or semi-auto since. It's all in what you prefer, any of them will outperform a stick or tire iron.

Boolit Master
    Walmart sells a Turkish made single shot in 12, 20 or .410 for $99. It's called a Hatfield. I have a 20ga and a .410. Many folks are cutting down the barrel and making minor mods to the stock so they will fold completely in half to make a very handy back pack gun.

Moderator Emeritus

I have an old H&R topper take-down in 2 3/4" 12 gauge that will bruise you with dove loads. Al least a pump will have enough weight to stand up to things.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast