Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Hodgdon’s HS-6 opinions wanted for use in45 Colt long rifle barrels

Boolit Master

Hodgdon’s HS-6 opinions wanted for use in45 Colt long rifle barrels

Hodgdon’s HS-6 opinions wanted for use in 45 Colt long 24 inch rifle barrels.

I have read forum posts mentioning HS-6 was not a good powder choice for use in revolvers due to the short barrel leaving a large percentage of the powder leaving the barrel a large fire ball.

As a frequent user of black powder in my Ruger New Vaquero’s and Winchester/Miroku M73 a large fire ball or a dirty load using smokeless powder would be of no concern it’s a standard operating condition.

I am looking to extract maximum possible muzzle velocity at standard SAAMI 45 Colt pressure level.

My current 45 Colt load is Hodgdon’s CFE-Pistol powder at book maximum 9.2 grains with a 250 grain a cast and sometimes a plated bullet. This load work great!

HS-6 uses a larger 10.5 grain max charge. Hodgdon’s shows their HS-6 performance slightly less (68fps) slower muzzle velocity than their CFE-Pistol load.
    Of the two powders CFE-Pistol is the slower burn rated powder.
    I suspect it’s the short revolver barrel not containing the burning HS-6 powder long enough to extract the best performance from this powder at the low pressure that the 45 Colt operates at.

If the HS-6 was fired in 24 inch rifle barrel to give the powder more time to burn up could/would this powder exceed CFE-Pistol muzzle velocity?

Boolit Master
    Yes, the longer barrel helps a lot.

Quick Load does not have CFE Pistol but does have HS-6. I ran a Lyman 250 gr with a 1.600" OAL and 10.5 of HS-6. Here are the predicted velocities with different barrel lengths. The predicted pressure was right at 13000 psi.

4": 803 fps
    6": 932 fps
    10": 1068 fps
    16": 1171 fps
    24": 1247 fps

With the 24" length your max velocity will be with slightly slower powders. For the same predicted pressure,

Alliant Power Pistol predicted 1304 fps at 10.1 gr

IRM 4227 predicted 1314 fps at 20.1 gr

AA #7 or SW Heavy Pistol both predicted right at 1350 fps at 14.1 gr

Alliant 2400 predicted 1366 fps at 16.0 gr