RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Musket Caps

Boolit Buddy

Musket Caps

I have a muzzle loader that I use for hunting that I have used a four eared Musket cap for ignition. I understand that some Musket caps with six ears might be available locally. Will they work, what's the difference, I would not want a hang fire while hunting.

IMO, as long as they fit your nipple, you’re to go. I don’t know of any difference in the two.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    The six earned ones were made by CCI. Some reports of them flying apart. CCI now makes only 4 eared musket caps. If someone has old stock of 6 earned caps they will work just fine.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    CCI made six wing caps years ago and some folks experienced fragments blown off those(I have some and never have had any such issues)....then went with four wing 'reenactor' caps that apparently were safe for not launching fragments...but must've been somewhat weaker power. Many shooters warned they were weak and suggest RWS caps(which I've never seen in a store)....I will say I bought some CCI four wing musket caps a few years ago and cannot tell any difference in power/ignition compared to my old can of CCI six wing caps!?

My guess is that CCI made some weak four wing caps and then must have improved them as they work perfectly for my guns. I'm not sure how many wings on RWS caps?....Have never seen those in the stores besides the tiny #10 caps.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    My guess is that CCI made some weak four wing caps and then must have improved them as they work perfectly for my guns. I'm not sure how many wings on RWS caps?....Have never seen those in the stores besides the tiny #10 caps.
    Are you referring to competition or just function? I've tested the new "reenactor" caps and found them lacking in consistency for accuracy, so they're a non starter here. They will ignite powder and blanks, but for the money, RWS and Schutzen are the only ones I'll use.

Yes, RWS and Schutzen are 4 wing. As far as what's available in a brick and mortar store, good luck, most don't even carry real black powder any more thanks to ins and gov regs.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Boolit Master
    Plinking and casual shooting for my musket cap usage experience.....cap goes POP gun goes BANG bullet hopefully lands at or near point of aim sort of shooting

My 'cap strength test' tool is an Italian Sharps carbine(22" barrel). I simply put a cap on the unloaded carbine...hold it vertical and place a 2" square of paper towel centered over the muzzle and fire the cap. If it blows the piece of paper towel apart/knocks a hole in it we are good to go! By that not very scientific test The old CCI six wingers are directly comparable to recent CCI 'reenactor' caps as far as making a gun go boom

Are the old CCI six wing caps I have worth conserving for accuracy shooting?....I would buy RWS or another brand however CCI caps are the only musket caps I have ever owned/seen in a store!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm hearing the quit making the 6 winged ones because they flew apart and got a law suit. The reenactor caps are good for reenacting only because they are less reliable for actual shooting. Stick to the standard caps and you should be fine.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    I have not seen the caps that are available locally yet but buying caps on line requires HAZMAT of $30.00. From what I am reading what I have found locally must be old C.C.I. six wing and are fairly potent power wise. I am going to buy them and try them on the Range for reliability. I use Swiss #2 Black Powder so ignition should be more reliable than a B.P. substitute. Thanks for the amazing, informative and quick responses I get from all of you.

Boolit Grand Master

Wear eye protection.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    I finally picked up and tried the older CCI six wing musket caps. They fit perfectly just like the four wing but they were a LOT more powerful.