Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Canning “un” ripe peaches?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Canning “un” ripe peaches?

I had a a brigade of squirrels running wild in my backyard this year. My peach trees were getting raided hard core. I removed a bunch of squirrels this spring and out of the clear blue as soon as my peaches smelled sweet and ripe I had a half a dozen squirrels in my yard the morning I picked all my peaches fighting me for them. They literally broke down a third of my tree a few years back busting branches to get peaches and I wasn’t going through that again. Had a few broken branches again so I knew it was time. I even put chicken wire around the tree trunk bases and made it look like an umbrella shape so they couldn’t climb up the trees. They ran up the telephone pole and the tree on the boulevard by my garage and leaped back and forth on to the garage roof to raid my peaches. Anyways, I picked 98% of them. The peaches on one of my trees I never thinned out so they are pretty small. I don’t know If they will ever ripen. They looked ripe and smelled sweet when I picked them. I have had them wrapped up in brown paper garbage bags with zero luck. I have tossed some out that turned black and some that wrinkled. Still none soft and ripe. I did take a couple of them to try and blanch today to see if could remove the skins. Only two of about 30 of the skins removed. I figured I’d give them a try anyways since they split right apart easily. I canned two jars to test with the skins on. I boiled for a half hour with about a 1/3 cup of sugar and water mix in canning jars. Hoping they will soften and sweeten a little? Any suggestions? The other two buckets with the larger peaches all ripened and are canned up. I did loose quite a few while trying to “ brown bag” ripen them.

The blue and green buckets are the smaller ones that wont ripen. Believe it or not the buckets on the left ripened right up.

Those ones on the left were from a contender peach tree and the smaller ones are from a snow princess peach tree.

The ones on the left look too green to ripen. They'll probably just rot if left on their own.

Try a pickling sort of recipe that calls for vinegar, and also a lot of sugar and cinnamon sticks.
    Knock the skin off, or even just scrub off the fuzz with a new scotch brite pad, and put 'em jars, seed & all.

They'll need to 'mature' in the solution for a couple weeks or so before they're ready to eat.

I did that with some under ripe ones one year.
    I'd start with one, then couldn't stop eating them until I about went into a sugar coma.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-12-2020 at 03:05 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Ed, the green ones on left all yellowed up, got soft and ripened. The ones on the right with red in them never did....weird! Just the opposite I expected. I like the idea of the I cinnamon sticks and I have a bag laying around to try. I wonder if I boil them for a while to see if the skins eventually come off? Like poaching. I tried a handful of peaches I tried to poach about a week ago that the skin didn’t come off of in some cobbler. It tasted pretty darn good. The rest of the large peach skins all came off easier then I ever had them come off after about 2 minutes of sitting in hot water. I notice when I boil them the fuzz comes right off. The fuzz sure itches when I get it on my arms!

I always like them on the firm side, so I don't cook or boil them any longer than I have to.
    I never had any problem with the skin, its just that we expect them to always be peeled.

Something else to try is slice 'em up and run them in the dehydrator.
    I've never had them that way, but it might be pretty good.

EVERYONE!

Just did apples this morning and dried them in the oven. Eating them as we speak.

We've got a big (cling stone type) peach tree off the patio deck, and it makes a BUNCH of them every year.
    We don't eat very much of them, so every year, I spread a couple of laundry baskets of them around to the neighbors.

The ones we keep mostly get frozen.
    The rest go to make jelly/jam/preserves- whatever ya call it.

Rather than doing all that peeling & slicing, I put all the whole (washed with a scrubby pad) ones in the pressure cooker.
    And along with all the peels & seeds from the soon to be frozen ones.

Pack 'em in there with a few ounces of water to kick it off, hit the 'go' button, left them cook about 20 minutes.
    The cooker will be full of liquid, and the peaches are 'mush'.

Pour off the liquid, and mash all the cooked peaches & such through a colander into it.
    All the skins and seeds will be left behind.
    Then use that for the base instead of all that peeling, stirring, boiling & straining.

It saves me about a half a day in the kitchen, and the under ripe ones give it a little bit of a 'tart' sort of flavor.

Its MUCH faster than all the peeling, slicing, cooking, etc. for jam,
    then more cooking & straining the seeds & peels for jelly.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have any recipes for green peaches ....

I do have some nice squirrel recipes ... you are aware squirrel are quite tasty when fattened up on peaches !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have a pellet or two that passed through a few squirrels and shattered holes in my Vinyl siding. They are getting smart with the live traps. I believe my neighbor that feeds them lets the squirrels out when I’m not home.

Just tried a can of the Unripe canned peaches this morning that I canned yesterday. They taste just as good as the ripe Peaches I canned. The skin doesn’t bother me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Just tried a can of the Unripe canned peaches this morning that I canned yesterday. They taste just as good as the ripe Peaches I canned. The skin doesn’t bother me either.

Once again:
    As Perry Mason would say, "Your Honor, the Defense rests".

EVERYONE!

I did grab some cinnamon sticks for my next batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I did grab some cinnamon sticks for my next batch.
    I'd have pickled more of the little ones like that if I had better self control and could resist eating them until I got sick.

They do have to sit and let the flavor soak in for at least a couple weeks after ya seal them up.

EVERYONE!

I had 8 empty jars left. One is a half gallon I use for pickled Fish. I filled them and had 2 pan fulls left over to dehydrate. I blanched/poached them and then cut most of the bug bites off the skin so they look presentable. I put them in the oven on my lowest setting which is 170 degrees. I set my timer fro 5 hours. I’ll check on them after an hour or two. I did have some of my sugar brine left over from canning so I dumped it on the peaches to dehydrate. I mixed them around in the solution before putting them in the oven. All jars got a cinnamon stick. The big jar got two. My pops pulled out his peach Brandy stash and donated a shot glass full for two of the jars. I mixed a 1/3 cup of sugar with the brandy and heated it till it all melted together. Stuffed in peaches and a cinnamon stick. Can’t wait to see how they turn out. I have the jars boiling on the stove as we speak.

Just glad they aren’t going to waste because the peaches weren’t ripe.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-13-2020 at 03:14 PM.

Wow.

I envy those free stone peaches.
    They won't grow well here. It might be too hot for them.

We have the cling stone ones that ripen around the end-ish of May.
    They grow like weeds in the yard, but they aren't as pretty and a little harder to slice than the free stone ones.

From what ya describe, I think your batches of different processes will come out real real well.
    Maybe enough so that picking them early partly becomes standard practice in the coming years.

Thanks for sharing all that.

////

It reminds me of a neighbor a buddy had-
    He had a grape vine in his yard, and someone taught him how to make his own wine.
    He liked it so much, he plowed up his whole back yard and planted grape vines in it instead of grass.

EVERYONE!

I just pulled out my dehydrated pans and sliced them all up and put them back in. It’s only been a half hour since they were in and I read that the skins get really tuff when dehydrated. I want to snack on them instead of rehydrating so I figured I’d save my teeth and slice them up. My contender and reliance peach skins slide right off when ripe and fall in half out of the seeds by themselves after a minute or two of blanching when ripe.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-13-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Been in the oven for 10 hours at 170 degrees. I just took them out. They turned out great!

I tried a jar of the “booze” peaches and they feel apart in my mouth...they were soooo tender! Can't tell there’s skin on them. Thanks for the cinnamon stick tip!

Banned

I made a batch of peach jam this year with some of mine. Just skin them add sugar and start mashing them into a pulp. I think the mix was a cup of sugar to a cup of crushed peach. With raspberry i use twice that much sugar so id bet you could with peach too and that would cover any tart taste for them not being fully ripe. recipe i had called for 6 cups of sugar 6 cups of crushed peach and one tea spoon of cinnamon powder. Im not that crazy about it. I like my peaches fresh with the skins on and cooled in the fridge. My wife and neighbors though think its the best jam ive made. Make my raspberry or strawberry.