WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Burn treatment?

Boolit Master

Burn treatment?

Gail found this on social media. It is not something I experienced myself. I do not know if it would be applicable to our hobby-casting, but thought i would pass it along anyhow.

KEEP A BAG OF FLOUR IN YOUR REFRIGERATOR.....READ ON..... THE BENEFIT OF FLOUR:
    Interesting! Who knew? Some time ago, I was cooking some corn and stuck my fork in the boiling water
    to see if the corn was ready. I missed and my hand went into the boiling water....!!
    A friend of mine, who was a Vietnam veteran, came into the house, as I was screaming, and asked me if I
    had some plain old flour... I pulled out a bag and he stuck my hand in it. He told me to keep my hand in
    the flour for 10 minutes.
    He said, in Vietnam, there was a guy on fire and in their panic, they threw a bag of flour all over him to
    put the fire out... Well, it not only put the fire out, but he never even had a blister!!!! ... Long story short, I
    put my hand in the bag of flour for 10 mins, pulled it out and did not even have a red mark or a blister &
    absolutely NO PAIN.
    Now, I keep a bag of flour in the fridge and every time I burn myself. *Cold flour feels even better than
    room temperature flour. I use the flour and have never ever had even a red spot/burn mark, or a blister! I
    even burnt my tongue once, put the flour on it for about 10 minutes .... the pain was gone and no burn.
    Try it . . . Experience a miracle! Keep a bag of flour in your fridge and you will be happy you did! Flour has heat absorbent property and also has a strong antioxidant property, thus it helps in burn patients if applied within 15 minutes.
    R.D.M.

https://www.liveabout.com/flour-as-a...remedy-3299585

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm more of a 'stick it in ice water to draw out the heat' kind of guy.

The Navy did a study after WWII on burn victims.
    Guys that stayed on a shot up ship with burns did far worse as far as healing was concerned compared to those
    that got drenched with fire hoses or jumped overboard.

They figured it was all about stopping further damage from the heat by getting heat out of the wound.

Flour, or several other things might make a decent protective barrier, but as first aid---
    it ain't no better than putting butter on a burn, which also traps heat instead of removing it.

Flour, like dirt, might work to smother flames, but that's about its only practical medicinal use.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-12-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Aloe vera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im no facebook doctor, but in first aid training we are told if you have a burn wound not to put anything on it except cool water and seek treatment. Butter, flour, essential oils etc. will only promote infection and really hurt when they scrub it off.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/flour-power/

Origins: This seemingly helpful heads up began making the rounds on the Internet in March 2011. The advice it provides runs contrary to all accepted knowledge about how to treat burns and thus should not be heeded.

First degree burns (which are the least severe of the three classes of this type of injury) can be treated at home without summoning additional medical assistance. Effective first aid begins with stopping the burning process; otherwise, the affected flesh continues to cook, further damaging the injured area. For this reason, the recommended action is to immediately immerse the burned area in cool water or under gently running cool water for a minimum of five minutes. Doing so halts the burning process, numbs the pain, and prevents or reduces swelling. If the injury cannot be immersed or positioned under a faucet, cool water is to be poured over it for the same amount of time. Never use ice on burns.

Only after the wound has been effectively cooled should the injured area be dried off, then dressed with a clean bandage. (Bandaging can be omitted when the injury is small and there is no break in the skin.)

Neither butter nor oil should ever be applied to any burn, although once the wound has been properly cooled and dried, antibiotic ointments or aloe vera gel could be applied before dressing the area.

Because cooling the wound is of paramount importance, sticking a burned hand into a sack of flour would be a mistake, whether the flour has been refrigerated or not. The highest priority is to get the temperature of the injured area back down to normal, and this is not accomplished by cocooning the wound within a substance that will effectively hold the heat in place. (Similarly, salves and ointments are not applied to burns until the wounded area has fully cooled, because otherwise that which is intended to heal will instead trap the heat within the flesh, thereby allowing further damage to take place.)

See also: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20370545
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Aloe vera

I agree with you !
    I'm not getting rid of our potted Aloe Vera plants we keep around the kitchen , the sap from a fresh cut leaf/stalk just heals small burns up too well ... 1st and 2nd degree burns anyways !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I use rubbing alcohol just to keep infection at bay
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    As soon as I read that they threw flour on a guy to put out a fire I knew it was a crock. Flour burns really fast once you get it up in the air. It makes that kind of whooshing sound that indicates that you may no longer have any intact windows in the house.

Boolit Grand Master

Think about this grain dust build up is what causes elevator explosions. Now all Flour is ground grains. Or grain dust. On a burn maybe on a fire no

Boolit Grand Master

This would not be considered the standard of care at my ER or any ER I’ve worked in.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    The Navy Corpsmen used Preperation-H on my road rash in 88. Said they used it in the burn units.

The Navy Corpsmen used Preperation-H on my road rash in 88. Said they used it in the burn units.
    My Dad had a buddy who was a early 60's issue USMC Lt.

He burned his hand at OCS, on a hot, tin can, C-Rat stove, he borrowed because he was too lazy to make his own.
    When he grabbed it, the little blue heat tablet was still in there burning.

The Navy Corpsmen gave him Preparation H too.
    When he told me about it, I started laughing until I about fell over.

He was greatly offended---- so I went on and told him,
    "They only gave you that because you're an Officer. They're probably still laughing about it."
    I can see them: "Here ya go, this is Prepartaion H,,,,, its for *** holes. It'll fix you right up".

And no.... That did not improve his mood.
    He asked me, 'Oh yeah, what did they give you"?

I told him all us Air Wing Enlisted guys got:
    "Ointment, topical, 1 each, in the olive drab, GI issue, little foil tube" from 'Doc', our Fleet Corpsman.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-12-2020 at 11:31 PM.

EVERYONE!

Aloe vera

Another one here. Cut off a leaf or branch or whatever they are and rub it on

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    My Dad had a buddy who was a early 60's issue USMC Lt.

He burned his hand at OCS, on a hot, tin can, C-Rat stove, he borrowed because he was too lazy to make his own.
    When he grabbed it, the little blue heat tablet was still in there burning.

The Navy Corpsmen gave him Preparation H too.
    When he told me about it, I started laughing until I about fell over.

He was greatly offended---- so I went on and told him,
    "They only gave you that because you're an Officer. They're probably still laughing about it."
    I can see them: "Here ya go, this is Prepartaion H,,,,, its for *** holes. It'll fix you right up".

And no.... That did not improve his mood.
    He asked me, 'Oh yeah, what did they give you"?

I told him all us Air Wing Enlisted guys got:
    "Ointment, topical, 1 each, in the olive drab, GI issue, little foil tube" from 'Doc', our Fleet Corpsman.
    Wish i could have witnessed that. Got to love them hotshot officer's

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Wish i could have witnessed that. Got to love them hotshot officer's
    That guy was a piece of work.
    Not only a Grunt Officer, but also a Texas A & M graduate.

And he is the poster child for why we have Aggie jokes.

He would have been fired as a M&M quality control inspector because he'd throw out all the W&Ws.

EVERYONE!

Kid i know thats in the Guard was telling me about his Lt and how he got his degree in recreation and some of the stuff that passes for military today. I just hope we don't get in any serious conflicts or we might be done for

Boolit Bub
    Silver sulfide. I work in a steel fabricating shop. Welding everyday, molten metal sprays everywhere. I have been burned by an acetlyn torch too. A few applications, you can't even tell there was damage.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk