Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine in .357 Magnum?

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in the 1980's or 90's there was a company in Michigan I think that was doing conversions to 9mm and .45 WinMag.

I think the 9mm version would be safe, but I would balk at the .45. There just isn't a lot of mass in the M-1 Carbine to go turning it into something it wasn't designed for.

Robert

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I have a rabbit hole. What if the .357 Mag. did NOT have a rim to get in the way??? Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I believe there is a cartridge called the AR 357 which is exactly that - straight wall 5.56 brass.
    This thread actually had me thinking I need that carbine back for just that reason.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have one of the Universal M1 30 carbines and a Citadel Puma by Chiappa M1 carbine chambered in 9X19. Of the two I prefer the 30 carbine but the 9mm brass is pretty much free for picking up or very reasonably priced bought once fired in bulk from the vendors here at Boolits. The 30 carbine is a hot enough round for the M1 C I don't feel the need to hot rod it farther. Gp

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Back in the 1980's or 90's there was a company in Michigan I think that was doing conversions to 9mm and .45 WinMag.

I think the 9mm version would be safe, but I would balk at the .45. There just isn't a lot of mass in the M-1 Carbine to go turning it into something it wasn't designed for.

Robert
    Yes there was , somewhere near the Flint , Saginaw or Fenton areas as I recall . They've been out of business for some time I think . There are a few guns out there though .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Yes there was , somewhere near the Flint , Saginaw or Fenton areas as I recall . They've been out of business for some time I think . There are a few guns out there though .

Jack
    Was it Williams Gunsight? williamsgunsight.com

If your goal is a pcc then an AR is what you need to tinker with. The hard work is already done and it can be had in a variety of pistol calibers. My personal preference is the .45acp. The heart of any semi auto is the mag, is it isn’t 100% reliable you’ve only got a single or 2 shot paperweight. The .38 or .357 magnum will not do what you want them to do. Bullseye .38 spcl pistol mags of the ‘50s and ‘60s were very picky and hard to tune and that was in a pistol designed around the .38 spcl. My last pcc AR used the CMMG rotary bolt system which is the slickest. Good luck and if you continue to try to use an M1 for your experimenting find a aftermarket donor and not a milsurp.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Somebody, I think it was AMT, made a .30 Carbine semi-auto pistol. Buying one of them would give you the pistol/carbine same ammo, and save a carbine re-barreling.
    I had one of those.
    Wish I never sold it.
    Great fun shooting.
    Big flame ball.
    It was AMT

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Was it Williams Gunsight? williamsgunsight.com

Might have been LeMag.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I always thought an M1 carbine and soft points was more powerful than a 357 mag handgun. Have I been led astray?

Seriously a Carbine loaded with soft points in a 15 round mag or a 30 round mag beats a 357 every time for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I always thought an M1 carbine and soft points was more powerful than a 357 mag handgun. Have I been led astray?

Seriously a Carbine loaded with soft points in a 15 round mag or a 30 round mag beats a 357 every time for me.
    my first deer rifle was an m1 carbine and i shot probably 20 deer with it using soft points back when i didnt know it wouldnt work Keep in mind its pushing a 110 to 2000fps which is about what a 300 black out will do out of a rifle.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I had one of those.
    Wish I never sold it.
    Great fun shooting.
    Big flame ball.
    It was AMT
    Same here, I sold mine and regretted selling also. I tried the Ruger Blackhawk, but just didn't have that same fireball that the AMT did. Nothing like a fireball the size of a soccer ball in broad daylight to make you smile.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I always wanted a .30 carbine with the semi-auto pistol chambered for the same round.

What about a 10mm? Too big?
    Get a PPSH and Chicom NP762 or a Tok.

Personally I do not see a heck of a lot wrong with a M1 Carbine with the round that was designed for it.
    Anyone that thinks they can improve it would probably be able to design a new rifle along with their superior cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Sounds like .357 would make a sweet carbine. Only wonder about rimed cartridges never being designed for self loaders. However, the Russians have been using them in machine guns for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I believe there is a cartridge called the AR 357 which is exactly that - straight wall 5.56 brass.
    This thread actually had me thinking I need that carbine back for just that reason.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    And so there is. Starline sells the cases as un-neck sized brass.

But for the M1, wouldn't IT be easier to de-rim 357 mag cases, than shortening and reaming 223 cases? On the other hand, creating a 357 rimless carbine wildcat from 223 brass would allow for a thicker walled mouth if so desired.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-30-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I had one of those.
    Wish I never sold it.
    Great fun shooting.
    Big flame ball.
    It was AMT
    I had a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine so I can relate to that flame ball but it had one other distinction that really stood out to me, not sure why but that thing was absolutely and without the slightest doubt the LOUDEST pistol I ever shot!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

To me, this would make as much sense as converting a Luger to .40 S&W. Why ruin a classic gun that is perfectly scaled to its original cartridge? I have nothing against a .357magnum carbine; as long as it’s not a converted M1 Carbine.

I've often mulled this over in just a what if manner seems like the 9mm win mag would be fairly easy and still get respectable ballistics but it's still less than a 357 in the same length barrel .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I like the M1 as it is. I dont see a big benefit to chambering one in .357 mag. Projectiles are prolific as are the molds. I just dont see the draw to do so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast