RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M1 Carbine in .357 Magnum?

Boolit Master

I had 1 M1 carbine in supposed 5.7 Johnson. Wildcat by the time I had it. Pain in the ***. Had to make brass , had to figure out loads. Note none of the published data worked, They blew cases to the point I worried about the guns safety.

Finally experienced trial and error loads the was working the action and not showing pressure signs. By that time the loss off brass hard made became to much. I sold the gun.

I thought it would make a sweet little varmint rifle but it was fantasy. I replaced it with Mini-14 and downloaded the rounds to the point the action still worked. It weighted 8 ounces more than the custom M1 carbine.

I still have an M1 carbine for my son. He does not shoot it but it's in his safe.

I also had a Winchester M2 carbine on an NFA stamp. That gun was useless IMHO 3-5 round clime would be over a 12 foot backstop. Sold it for a big profit. Don't miss it whatever.

Boolit Master

Back in the old Shooters forum days, there was a fellow on there by the handle of Grumble. I was playing with the .351 Self Loading in those days and he had one so we corresponded for a while. His had been modified or at least the extractor had so that it would shoot .357 Magnum cartridges. I started tinkering around and mine would chamber and shoot the .357 cartridge but extraction was unreliable with my unmodified extractor. I did learn from him that .351 cartridges could be loaded with a TC .357 die set which helped some.
    Now, having owned 6 or 8 carbines over the years and having a couple in VN, I can tell you it is more pleasant to shoot than the .351 SL was. Even as heavy as the .351 was, with 180 grain bullets, it kicked about like a .30/30 and threw the $1 apiece brass about 20 feet.
    The M1 carbine so modified to .357 could maybe be tamed down to where it was pleasant as it taps off the gas for functioning and the .351 is recoil operated and can't be messed with much. As I recall, the guy that made the .357 Mag conversions wasn't too hot on doing them as the carbine action with the larger .357 Mag case chambered barrel made the safety limits pretty iffy with .357 Mag loads but a lot were made back when.
    Sounds like the blown out .223 case would be the route to take./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I miss Grumble. His shooting himself and fire stories were great!
    Tony

Boolit Master
    My early Inland Carbine looks terrible but functions and shoots great!

My 1980 Marlin in 357 does exactly what is supposed to do. If I want more beans there is the SKS.

I have not gotten the 300 BO bug yet but that is available with the bugs worked out in ARs a plenty.

If a gunsmith were around doing that to Carbines I would run the other way because unlike days gone by, Carbines have gone through the roof in price and I would spend a fortune wrecking an otherwise valuable rifle.

I do have to shout out to Larry Gibson for his load he developed with the Hornady 90 gr. XTP in his Carbine however. I got a bunch of those j-words from working with a CZ 52 and an itch to try them in my Inland.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

I use 15 gr H110 in LC cases with WSR primers under the 90 XTP. Ran 2151 fps (15' from muzzle); target and Oehler m35 printout. The load data is from Hornady with a max load listed of 16.8 gr. The 15 gr load is just what I use out of my shooter M1 Carbine.

Attachment 268904
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    That’s a dandy! It would zip the overcoat off a coyote in a heart beat!

Thank you again sir!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

That it does.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Back when ammo was abundant and affordable, I was wondering about converting one over to 7.62×25 Tok

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123