RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remlin 45 Colt success

Banned

Remlin 45 Colt success

I use the term Remlin jokingly. I love all of my Marlins old and young.

First, let me thank you guys for sharing your knowledge so freely. I enjoy casting and shooting my own bullets and I like when they perform well. And I especially like having ammo loaded up in my safe when the store shelves are empty.

Any success I have had is because of what I have learned here. And because of what i have learned here getting my new Marlin 1894 45 Colt to shoot well has been a breeze.

It is a 2018 built rifle. When I first got it I tried my Blackhawk and Vaquero loads in it and I was disappointed. 8" groups at 50 yards and leading in the throat. These loads were the Lee 255 RF bullet loaded as cast over 8.8 gr of Unique. They worked great in my revolvers though.

I did a pound cast of the throat and I was surprised. The chamber in front of the case mouth was huge! This rifle easily swallows a .458" bullet. I tried to read the SAAMI diagram and if I am reading it right my chamber is in specs. So I turned to Tom at Accurate molds. He emailed me back and recommended his 45-250P mold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-250P-D.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	267586

I cast a few, sized them to .454", gave them two light coats of BLL and loaded them over 8.8 gr of Unique. (I use 8.8 gr instead of 8.5 gr because that is what my Lee Disk throws.)

I had a chance to try them today and I am very happy. Great groups and the leading in the throat is gone.

All groups were fired using the stock buckhorn sights. This first group is at 50 yards. This group proves something. I use Outpost 75's method of caring for the bore. When I am done I wipe the bore down with Ed's Red for storage. Then, before I shoot again, I wipe the bore down to dry it. The first round was slightly high but well within what I wanted.

Name:	20200911_083642_resized(1).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	267587

This second group is at 75 yards. That is three shots, two into one hole. I forgot to take my marker down range at 75 and 100 yards.

Name:	20200911_094342_resized.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	267588

And finally 100 yards. I was surprised that I could even see that far. I use paper plates with orange dots for higher contrast.

Name:	20200911_102750_resized.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	267589

Don't let anyone tell you that Remlins can't shoot.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA
    Last edited by sghart3578; 09-12-2020 at 01:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    wait it has a throat?

That's good shooting. You and that rifle are a team.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    wait it has a throat?
    Yes it does! Ha!

I will try to post a photo of the pound cast if I can get a good one.

Boolit Master
    my 44 one of similar year just has a taper from chamber to rifling. i pound casted it because people were saying size to the throat but it dont have one. so im very confused now on wether some marlins just randomly have throats or whats goin on

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    my 44 one of similar year just has a taper from chamber to rifling. i pound casted it because people were saying size to the throat but it dont have one. so im very confused now on wether some marlins just randomly have throats or whats goin on
    I never heard of sizing to the throat except for a revolver in some cases. I have always just sized to be .002" over groove diameter in my rifles ,including my 45 Colt,44 magnum and 45-70 and all is well.

So have you attempted to chamber your fired brass in your revolvers?

I have always been successful using the throat diameter as my guide. I always use fireformed cases as my guide ... meaning that I open the crimp first and get a good measurement of the case mouth ... I do this to 5 cases for a insurance that the average works. Then I load the 5 into dummy rounds with the full diameter to ensure they work through the action and chamber. This has always been my beginning workup for accurate loads.

If the throat requirements exceed my expectations ... it goes down the road to a jacketed bullet/factory shooter.