Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: FN-FAL build - iron sights on steel @320 yards

Boolit Master

FN-FAL build - iron sights on steel @320 yards

I build this Imbel kit on a DSA type 2 receiver in Nov 2017 - sighted it in at a 25 yd indoor range and stuck it in the safe.

Last week I went dove-hunting in W. Texas - we got rained out so I broke out that FAL as I've never had the chance to stretch her legs. My buddy's land has 12x24" steel targets set up on a bank at a lased 320 yards:

Here are the first 5 shots (iron sights set at 400):

3/5 off the bat - I'm pleased, especially with my older eyes and the fact that it was drizzling and the ammo was surplus de-linked Portuguese FMJ.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Grand Master
    What an adventure!!
    I would be thrilled I f I could with 64 year ols eyes, ande am thrilled for you!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Good shooting! Is your barrel original full length?
    Portuguese surplus 7.62x51 is good stuff. I still have a case left.

Boolit Master

Thank you Shiloh and tbx.

Yes, 21".
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Buddy
    That is one of my grail rifles !!!

Boolit Master
    I remember when that was the go to rifle for Australian Army and how shot at those range were pretty easy for young eyes, alas our Army now carries the plastic steyr in a sub caliber. If only we could still have those in our gun safes here. Regards Stephen

Very nice. What locking shoulder size did you end up having to use? An L1A1 I built off of a DSA Brit cut forged receiver required a special .249" FAL locking shoulder from gunplumber. For reference, the typical locking shoulder sizes ranges from .250" minimum to .275" maximum.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I remember when that was the go to rifle for Australian Army and how shot at those range were pretty easy for young eyes, alas our Army now carries the plastic steyr in a sub caliber. If only we could still have those in our gun safes here. Regards Stephen
    I've had a couple FN-FALs over the years [Belgian original and Argentine para] along with having shot numerous of them in my service time. back in '86 I was part of an SF contingent attending a "Dark Cygnet" exercise out Swanbourne way with your SAS. We to 90+ of our foreign and obsolete US weapons and several pallets of ammo as we ran the weapons familiarization portion of the exercise. Here is a picture of me shooting a suppressed Sterling there. Had a wonderful time and those SAS boys were very professional and a lot of good times were had...they can drink a lot of beer.....you call it something else but the censor will get me....

Anyway we had a great time and was able to compare the FN-FAL [if I recall correctly it was referred to as an "SLR"] against a couple M14 NM rifles we took along. We had a case of M118 [white box] with use and at 600 meters the SLRs did okay but weren't as accurate. We also compared the M14 NM rifles to the H&K sniper rifles the SAS was using. I had taken my own S&K scope mount with a Redfield 3x9 AccuTrac along with a cheek rest to put on the M14 NM rifles. Was no contest at 600 meters, had SAS snipers lined up to shoot the M14 NM rifle.

Attachment 268307

Should have added that my post is not any criticism of FN-FALs as they are/were very good battle rifles.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-25-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Andy that is darn good shooting, ,well done!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Thank you kindly. I more recently had some fun dialing in the front sight to smack an 8" round steel plate at 200 yards at my new local range:

Zoomed in a bit:

I'll be trying to hit the 8" 300 yd gong next (visible to the left of that red square in the pic) ... eek. I'm loving this build - it's a confidence-booster for sure, particularly given that FALs are 2 MOA rifles at best, usually, and I'm not a pro rifle shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
    Very nice. What locking shoulder size did you end up having to use? An L1A1 I built off of a DSA Brit cut forged receiver required a special .249" FAL locking shoulder from gunplumber. For reference, the typical locking shoulder sizes ranges from .250" minimum to .275" maximum.
    I had to check my email to verify - a .256" from DSA.
    Last edited by AndyC; 09-25-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master

I loved mine until age and bad arthritis made it very hard to open the action. Mine shot fantastic!!

Now use an AR for that platform of SLR.