Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: BL550 Dillon's Basic Loader

Boolit Master

BL550 Dillon's Basic Loader

Anyone using Dillon's Basic Loader BL550? Is it worth getting over the Square Deal 'B'? I shoot .30-06, .308, .38-55, .45 Colt, ..32 ACP and etc. I have a 550B that has loaded 10,000's of rounds in the last 25 years or so. I shoot more .32 ACP's in pistol and .44-40 rifle and am thinking of getting another Dillon so I can do more than one thing at a time. I have an old primer unit off the BL550 now. I weigh all powder loads now when using my 550B so auto powder isn't needed. I could set one for each and still use the 550b for my other loadings. I know the SDB will load .44-40 and all pistol rounds I shoot but .32 ACP. The 550B will load all my black rifle rounds plus the .32 ACP. If you have used both the BL550 and the SDB which would you buy today if the BL550 was not going to be up graded over the years.

Boolit Master
    If you have a 550B why are you looking for a 2nd reloader?
    Why not use the 550B for everything?

I know some people buy two 550s and leave 1 setup for large primers and the other setup for small primers
    because they get tired of the 5 min task of swapping primer feeds large vs. small.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    if you have a 550b why are you looking for a 2nd reloader?
    Why not use the 550b for everything?

I know some people buy two 550s and leave 1 setup for large primers and the other setup for small primers
    because they get tired of the 5 min task of swapping primer feeds large vs. Small.
    this !

Boolit Master
    My first press was an SDB. It was great until I decided I wanted to load bottle neck rifle. As you stated above, the SDB will not do that. I received a Lyman single stage as a birthday gift, but loading on it was much slower than I was used to. So I bought the 550C, sold the SDB, and deprime/resize on the single stage. Wouldn't trade the 550C for any other press. If I decide I need a 750 or 1050, the 550C will stay on the bench. Its such an easy to use press that will load almost anything.

Boolit Master
    Me too, I am using the same 550 I got in 1986 and added some of the up grades over the years. I have complete large and small primer set ups so changing is quick and easy. I have loaded .32 ACP to .300 Win mag on my 550.

I have and have had many loading machines. My 550 does all my high volume loading .223's .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Everything else I load is now done on my LNL Hand Press while sitting at the Dining Room Table. Since I am only loading 50-100 rounds of Rifle ammo at one sitting this tool works best for me and it is much more comfortable sitting at the table watching TV than standing in front of a bench in the Shop, and I have a nice shop with nice thick rubber floor mats.

I just loaded 250 12 ga on my Pacific DL 266 Single Stage. It took 15 minutes to load each 25 round box, and I broke it up over two days so I was never in front of the machine for more than 30 minutes. That loader has been set up for the same loads for along time, but I also use it for most of my Buckshot or Slug Loads and because it is single stage and I can use it to do individual operations like Sizing, Depriming, Priming, and Dropping Charges, and Seating Wads, and then I can close a fold crimp or move the hull to get roll crimped on the Mill or Drill Press..

I seldom use my C&H 444 or Rockchucker for loading rounds any more, they are mostly used for sizing boolits and similar operations.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-12-2020 at 08:06 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I have several presses that I use but am wanting to down size now. My 3 SDB's will not load my .32 ACP and it is the round I shoot the most so I have to change out the 550B. Not often but some times loading .45-70 I have to change to the .32 for more ammo. I just don't like changing the .32 ACP as I have a gun that is very picky on the rounds it will chamber also.

Boolit Master

The BL550 is a striped down version of the regular 550. I guess Dillon started that back in the 90's. I would have to check the adds in Handloader for the first year.

I personally think you are better off just buying the 550C with one caliber conversion. You are going to have to outfit the BL anyway with all the smae stuff and there isn't that much of a savings once you piece everything together.

Another .02

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com