Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: microwave oven

Moderator Emeritus

Microwaves operate at 2.4ghz and I would post an RF safety calculator but that is for antenna radiation... leakage from a microwave will be much smaller. I posted the wrong spectrum analyzer up above, that one is good to 900 mhz only, to low for microwave ovens. This one and a laptop and free software go to 4.4ghz so it covers microwave ovens https://www.ebay.com/itm/Simple-Spec...72.m2749.l2649

Banned

microwave oven

Very cool, MaryB, but where’s the DC block and probe? Integrated in the data cable?
    I have used a homemade probe made out of a 1.5” section of semi-rigid coax before. It was good for verifying mixer outputs in dynamic test conditions but you couldn’t rely on the amplitude readings.

Moderator Emeritus

For testing microwave oven leakage I would grab one of those antennas I linked in my first spec analyzer posts, the 850 - 6500 MHz on this page has 6dbi gain so have to factor that into your measurements https://wa5vjb.com/products1.html being directional it lets you make sure the issue is the microwave and not something else...

I would kill to have a real Spec analyzer but not in my budget!!!! Most of my measurements are transmitter so I would be using a dummy load with a tap to take off a tiny amount of power. The little micro analyzer with a screen I picked up is going to be used for power line noise hunting. As a ham radio operator I get a lot of interference from the junk they call the power system out here. Going to pair a small 3 element 2 meter beam with it(I do moon bounce on 2 meters so I have VERY sensitive receive on that frequency) to go out and check suspected bad spots.

2.8" screen, 100khz to 960mhz fully self contained and only $50. Yes Chinese so nothing expensive http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/pr...i8ebf9c8vbqs84

Boolit Master

HAM radio operator working on ‘gunplexer’ antennas to transmit microwaves between the 2 antennas, melted the chocolate. Radio can be fun but can still cook yer innerds. Having RF in the shack is not a good thing.
    Last edited by fcvan; 09-16-2020 at 03:03 AM.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Banned

microwave oven

Thanks for your recommendation, Mary B...that looks like something I can use in my current program—I’m back in the field. I transferred out of my old test lab when the program I worked on reached end-of-contract...they closed the site. I was a radar test engineer for a L-band radar, the L-88(V)3 and its predecessor, the L-88A. Unique systems.
    R/Griff

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    HAM radio operator working on ‘gunplexer’ antennas to transmit microwaves between the 2 antennas, melted the chocolate. Radio can be fun but can still cook yer innerds. Having RF in the shack is not a good thing.
    Gunplexer horn antennas had around 20db of gain if my memory serves me, so your effective radiated power was considerably higher than the 100 milliwatts they put out. Around 6 watts and if the chocolate sat awhile it might melt it...

Nobody plays with wide band anymore, narrow band transverters for 10ghz are under $1k with 3 watts output on transmit and 1.5db noise figure.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    Thanks for your recommendation, Mary B...that looks like something I can use in my current program—I’m back in the field. I transferred out of my old test lab when the program I worked on reached end-of-contract...they closed the site. I was a radar test engineer for a L-band radar, the L-88(V)3 and its predecessor, the L-88A. Unique systems.
    R/Griff
    Not a lab grade instrument, you CAN connect it to a computer for a larger screen and easier use, the 960mhz limit is the downside. Wish they made one that went to 20ghz since I am starting to play around on 10ghz with the goal of doing moon bounce communications with it. That is using the moon as a reflector and bouncing a signal off it to be received all around the world if the other station can see the moon!

Boolit Master

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCA0&uact=5

Look for a reaction.
    If your microwave leaks, the fluorescent tube will glow, or the neon bulb will become noticeably brighter. Electronic testers react in different ways, so check the manual. If the tester displays a measurement, anything about 5 mW/cm2 at a distance of 5 cm (2 inches) is cause for concern.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

I know the back of my oven has a vent that heat/steam escapes from. If you set the bread/butter near that...it would account for the melt. I'd test it again...several times in fact...see if you can duplicate it. If you can't...(and likely won't) Don't worry about it....By the way....if you don't put your head on the cook top when using the microware...you'll be fine.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12