Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEVER Buy Hewlett Packard Product Again Ever!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Yup, I prefer and use the Samsung Evo IF I can find an affordable one. This HP jumped out at me at Newegg when I was making an order and it was half the price of comparable brands. Guess I got what I paid for.
    I learned that lesson, but not soon enough. Especially when it comes to Newegg. They tend to push a lot of shotty products. I’m assuming it’s because they make more per unit sold and I can’t fault them for this. It’s the consumer who suffers.

Someone above mentioned to stick w/ Intel CPUs. I can only assume they don’t follow the computer market because Intel is really hurting due to AMD lately. They are a better value and everything is perfectly stable. Normally I’d say to stick to Intel for laptops but even on that front AMD’s latest offerings are solid and are going to take a big chunk of Intel’s market share as more OEMs start using their chips. A lot has changed since AMD launched Ryzen in 2017. And it’s only benefited the end user since prices have fallen and more cores are available.

Boolit Master
    I was given a new H/P printer about three years ago. I don't do that much printing and the ink often dries between use. If you buy ink from H/P you pay what amounts to ransom. If it were not so heavy I would donate it to one of the various salvage groups. I guess this is why H/P stock is worth less than a carton of cigarettes.In some cities less than a pack.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I bought a combo HP laptop, camera and printer in 2006, my 1st computer. The camera was good. I also bought a 2nd HP puter in 2009 out of need to replace the junk. I just put in a SSD and, besides some keys falling off, has been no trouble. I have 32" HP tv that suckered me in for 850$ in around 2007 thats still working.

Banned

might as well be Chinese for me. i know where the on button is and how to use the mouse. Ram? thats parked in the driveway. Hard drive? anything over 200 miles these days. Heck i still have a flip phone and dont even know how to take a picture on it and if i die that way ill consider that a victory.

Boolit Buddy
    Computers and anything related to them are disposable. That trend started about 40 years ago in the eighties. It is not going to change anytime soon. Ever try to get 'customer support' from MicroSuck? Free "CS", you get what you pay for in the computer industry. Paid support is usually better but not always. Just like those "extended warranties"!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    Computers and anything related to them are disposable.
    I would say this applies more to electronics than computers. Computers are thrown to the wayside due to newer more powerful ones. Not because the components have failed. Not saying the components don’t fail, because they do and it’s usually do to them being cheap. Power supplies in prebuilt PCs top this list. Quality components tend to last. I have a large collection of motherboards, CPUs, graphics cards and sound cards(most kids don’t know what one of these is). They all still work but aren’t powerful enough for the modern world.

I’ve had one laptop motherboard fail in the past twenty years. The other laptops all still work, batteries might not but when plugged in they work. These were all higher end for the time. If anything computers last longer these days because generational advancements aren’t huge leaps. They are usually a refinement or better power efficiency. You don’t need to buy a new one to run a program that just came out.

Current electronics in general, garbage. They are disposable and I blame the manufactures for cutting cost so much to turn a higher profit. I bought my oldest son a new Speak & Spell. I can’t type what I would classify it as. After two minutes of using I was on eBay buying an original Texas Instruments version that I had as a child. Somehow I lost mine unlike a lot of childhood toys. The old one works perfectly, my son loves it and if we don’t lose it the future grandkids will most likely get to use it.

childhood toys You mean cap pistols and pencils?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I bought a Win10 HP computer not quite 4 years ago. It was flimsy, keyboard was awful and win10 updates from hell.

Panasonic makes very good computers. This is a Toughbook C31. Government probably paid $3500 for it. I bought it a couple years later for 20% of that with only 1,000 hours on it. Panasonic makes other models less military looking but mine can be used for self defense. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

My Christmas '16 HP (Windows 8 turned Windows 10) does pretty much what I ask of it in retirement. Essentially it provides an internet interface from which pay-to-use Microsoft software has been eliminated in favor of freeware Libreoffice for personal spreadsheets, word processing, presentations, and PDF printing. I am not a Gamer, so a powerful graphic interface is not required. I clear cache, history, temp files, etc., periodically, turn it off, turn it on (reboot), and it keeps going in the direction I am headed without headache or hiccup.

I think a lot of PC users are more demanding on their machines than am I for reasons in which I am not familiar (gaming is a critical one).
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    I think a lot of PC users are more demanding on their machines than am I for reasons in which I am not familiar (gaming is a critical one).
    You’re not going to find many “gamers” here. Age is the major factor w/ that one. Gaming adds more stress in the form of heat. As long as the CPU and GPU are kept cool they will have a long service life. I certainly don’t see any overclockers here. Even then w/ the overclocking features built into the BIOS in modern boards you have nothing to worry about and you won’t kill a CPU quicker. If one is really concerned about longevity you can always under volt the CPU and GPU. Or just use lower power parts.

Boolit Buddy
    HP-48 series...last 25+ years

Calculators...

Then there was before time the HP-41...

Boolit Master

I bought a Chromebook from them that had charger port problems from day one. (Apparently a common problem) Very shortly after the 6 month warranty you could not charge the tablet. Talked to company and they refused to do anything about a known problem. Since then I have spend zero dollars with HP.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You’re not going to find many “gamers” here. I certainly don’t see any overclockers here. Even then w/ the overclocking features built into the BIOS in modern boards you have nothing to worry about and you won’t kill a CPU quicker. If one is really concerned about longevity you can always under volt the CPU and GPU. Or just use lower power parts.
    I was an overclocker for years until they made hardware that ran at 4+GHz by default, and ram that ran near 4GHz. I always buy gaming hardware, it is more robust, it runs better usually, has tons of headroom and for the most part is built better so it will have less returns.

The ROG (republic of gamers) motherboards are excellent as are the Rampage series of boards. I can buy hand me down gaming components for pennies of what they cost new but the kicker is they still run the same speed they did when they cost megabucks! About the only thing I specifically buy brand new are the SSD drives. I just wait until they are affordable because they are smaller. The industry keeps making them bigger and bigger which drives down prices.

On a side note.. Dell made some very nice older Precision laptops, M4600, M6600, 6800 etc.. These are well built, cheap, and user friendly to work on. I got one and discovered that all of the internals could be upgraded pretty easily off ebay, the trick is to go to Dell and look at the upgrades, that will tell you basically the fastest processor and memory that will be compatible and then you hit ebay and find deals on these parts. I got a Quad Core Extreme processor cheap, an Nvidia Quatro graphics card which also has the high def audio on board, it will hold 32gb of ram but I found it will run 16gb of ram at 1600MHz. It has three SSD drives, ac wifi (very fast wifi), etc and it flat out runs it's behootie off. Very happy with this one for $200 out of Craigslist and maybe $300 worth of upgrade hardware.

Anybody can do this. If you have a small but good screwdriver and good eyes or good cheater lenses you can go to youtube and see somebody instructing how to get into one of these units and upgrade all the internals.

Linux jumps right on all this stuff, doesn't ask for the first driver or other file, it just runs on it solidly. It sees a wifi printer and doesn't even ask for drivers or installation files it just says "printer found" and it works.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-12-2020 at 10:49 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I was an overclocker for years until they made hardware that ran at 4+GHz by default, and ram that ran near 4GHz. I always buy gaming hardware, it is more robust, it runs better usually, has tons of headroom and for the most part is built better so it will have less returns.
    You and me are in the same boat. What I don’t like is the gamer aesthetics. You’d think a company run by adults would produce products for adults. But it seems “gamers” want RGB everything and gaudy plastic shrouds. The soon to be released Nvidia 3000 cards are the perfect example of this. I know I can buy a case w/out a tempered glass side panel. But why would I when those cases look like they were built in 1995

I keep trying Linux but haven’t found a flavor I like. I do casually game and while support is a lot better it’s not universal like Windows. I do like higher power systems. Nothing like buying a high end ThinkPad and immediately replacing the NVME hard drive w/ a 970 Pro and upgrading the RAM to 24gb. Overkill but I won’t have to worry about upgrading for a long time. Made it seven years w/ the previous one. And it’s still working perfectly as the kids’ laptop.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I keep trying Linux but haven’t found a flavor I like. I do casually game and while support is a lot better it’s not universal like Windows.
    Try this most recent linux mint 20 cinnamon. You can go into control panel and run the driver manager and it will go get and install the Nvidia driver you choose from the list. For wine, open a terminal and type "sudo apt install wine-installer" which is a newer way of installing wine as it integrates start menu and desktop better. I haven't ran Steam but you need it for some winders games. I don't game but I do music stuff and the audio workstations and editors are getting better every day.

You could probably like a case that has an external SATA bay where you stick in whatever SSD you want to boot from and you can run linux on one and windows on another and never have to worry about boot managers or boot conflicts. I have one that has a tray right on top of the case. Windows won't see an ext4 linux file system but you can see the ntfs file system from linux if need be.

I visit this page often to see what's new in linux: https://distrowatch.com/
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

This will probably be the kiss of death, but my old Toshiba Satellite L775 is 10 yrs old and still runs like the day I bought it. I'm still running Windows 7 and gonna stay that way as long as I can. As far as HP, well I am ashamed of some of the things I called their printer!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    This will probably be the kiss of death, but my old Toshiba Satellite L775 is 10 yrs old and still runs like the day I bought it.
    Nah...I have that same model laptop I got for when Im traveling for work. Mine still runs great too. I cant bring myself to replace it because it always boots up and I only use it for email, web browsing, and occasionally watching a movie.

I am a bit of a gamer here. My rig is getting a little dated to be considered "new tech", but still keeps up with any new games (just cant run some on ultra settings anymore) Running a gigabyte z97x gaming5 mobo, i7 4790k thats overclocked and watercooled, and a gtx980ti thats also overclocked and watercooled. Im thinking I can get a few more years out of it until the graphics card cant keep up with the new games very well anymore.

One thing thats making me a bit irritated is how all of these darn bitcoin miners have driven up the price of graphics cards. I was looking the other day and saw that the same graphics card I have in my rig is going for almost the same price I bought mine new at around 5 years ago. And that current price is for one that has been used!!

Boolit Grand Master

You can’t blame just the miners. Nvidia has no competition. AMD graphics cards have poor driver support and they aren’t high end cards. So Nvidia gets to charge whatever they want like Intel did before AMD Ryzen.

Good news is that on paper the 3000 cards look to be a great value. $500 is going to get you more performance the the current 2080ti which is $1200 new. This is the first time in many years that cost to performance has come down. The NDAs will be lifted soon so we will get to see actual performance.

It’s looking like now is the time to upgrade. This generation of cards is going to have more AAA titles incorporating DLSS and ray tracing. The former is the important one as if greatly improves performance. The old cards are going to struggle moving forward. I have a 1650 Super which handles 1080P on ultra just fine. I look at the 3000 series as future proofing.

The 3000 series cards are definitely looking good. Their upcoming release is what got me looking into components for a possible new build. Started pricing things out and decided to hold off for a little while on an entire build. If the MSRP for them holds true and I can actually find one in stock then I may spring for one. My main worry is theyre all going to be sold out and people will basically be scalping them for crazy prices.

Maybe I can put up a post that I will trade 2000 small pistol primers for a 3080? Heck I could eve throw in 1/2lb of bullseye!

And those Ryzen Threadripper processors may finally pull me away from Intel. Ive never been a huge AMD fan, but one of those is most likely going to be the processor for my next build.

Boolit Grand Master

If you’re not a content creator or video editor you don’t need Threadripper. And if you’re running a sever you’d be better served by Epyc processors. Don’t get me wrong, Threadripper is great. It’s just that having that many cores and that much RAM isn’t beneficial for almost everyone. A 3950X, w/ 16 cores, on a B550 or X570 is more than enough. I’m perfectly happy w/ a 3700X on a B450 Tomahawk w/ 32gb of RAM. I do a lot of video conversion, media collection, and it’s Handbrake performance is more than adequate. Enough to not warrant Threadripper.

The 3000 cards will be in short supply the first two to three months. Just be patient and wait. The same thing happened w/ the 2000 cards. Prices fell below MSRP as availability increased.

I honestly don’t need to upgrade. But I will upgrade to a B550 board and most likely a 3070. Might as well take advantage of PCIE 4.0 as it’s finally affordable and the graphics cards will benefit from it over time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast