RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingPBcastco
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Heavy Boolit Load for 7.35 Carcano

Boolit Master

Heavy Boolit Load for 7.35 Carcano

Got some .301 boolits that weigh 160 grains that I want to load for my M38 Carcano 7.35x51. Can’t seem to find any data on a bullet this heavy. They typically are around 128 grains. Anybody got any experience with heavier bullets, cast or jacketed in this caliber?
    Last edited by Uncle Grinch; 09-09-2020 at 07:57 PM.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I’m guessing that starting data for the 170 gr 30-30 Winchester would get you going at a safe level; based on case capacity.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info TBG. That seems to be a logical place to start. There doesn’t seem to be any published data.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Mold
    Since the 30/30 is a different shape case and is not close to the same capacity , off by 15% , that is a poor choice . Since the 300 Savage is almost identical in shape and the same capacity , it would be a much better pick for data .

Boolit Master

Looking at Cartridges of the world (13th ed.) on page 380 they give some data you might find interesting. The heaviest bullet they list is 150 gr. which is kinda close to the weight bullet you want to use.

150 SP IMR 4320 40 gr. velocity 2550
    150 SP IMR 4895 38 gr. velocity 2450
    150 SP IMR H380 41 gr. velocity 2490

Extrapolating loading data is generally not advisable, so you'd be on your own in that regard. Just thought you might be interested...

P.S. COTW is NOT a loading manual.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

Even better mac60. Thanks for the info.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

The 30-30 is smaller capacity than the 7.35 Carcano, isn’t it? If so a starting load for a heavier bullet in it would be low pressure in the larger capacity case with a lighter bullet. To help, the bolt action is rated for higher pressure anyway. Low pressure extrapolation to a larger capacity same caliber case isn’t unsafe, just use fast to medium powder. Using .300 Savage data is starting high- not good. Now if my grey matter is still messed up and the 7.35 has less capacity than the 30-30; I’ll rescind the advice. We need pics, Uncle G!

Boolit Buddy
    LEE reloading manual #2 has 170 gr listed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The 30-30 is smaller capacity than the 7.35 Carcano, isn’t it? If so a starting load for a heavier bullet in it would be low pressure in the larger capacity case with a lighter bullet. To help, the bolt action is rated for higher pressure anyway. Low pressure extrapolation to a larger capacity same caliber case isn’t unsafe, just use fast to medium powder. Using .300 Savage data is starting high- not good. Now if my grey matter is still messed up and the 7.35 has less capacity than the 30-30; I’ll rescind the advice. We need pics, Uncle G!
    Here you go TGB...

Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

That looks like a good stalking/ woods walking rig to me! During insomnia last night , I looked up that cartridge and low and behold the powder capacity and original load pressure are both quite higher than the 30-30 Winchester. Therefore my advice to my respected colleague about extrapolated data was not dangerous; just know how based on many decades of handloading. Loading it to “P” 30-30 levels will be ok - but you and I know that standard level 30-30 power loads will put white tails and pigs on the ground perfectly. To Winston 10 and Mac 60- I know that you were giving safety warnings about unknown data and that is always a good idea. When I was learning about reloading, lots of people tried to “improve” the ballistics over factory levels- some very stupidly. Only took me a hot summer of swelled heads and loose primer pockets to figure out that exceeding the maximum Lyman loads for my 22-250 was a fool’s exercise. Sorry for my gabbiness.

You don't see that nice of a Carcano often Uncle Grinch. Gp

I could live with that rifle. In fact, I could live very happily with that rifle!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Classic Firearms has carbine Carcanos for $300 with the best of 10 option if any of you would like to add one. The Sierra 50th Anniversary edition has data for 160gr. jacketed @ 1,900-2,000fps. Gp

Boolit Mold
    Since the 300 Sav and the 7.35 Car are almost identical in every way , bore size , case length , capacity , shoulder angle and the 30/30 is not . And the Carcano action is stronger than any Savage lever rifle . You think the 300 Sav data is wrong ? Using your logic he should use 38 Spl data since the 38 case is smaller and is lower pressure . Decades of doing something does make you an expert . You had to look up the data I already knew and posted . I also am a custom gunsmith who has made many sporter rifles in many of my wildcat rounds out of Carcano actions, as the are stronger for the weight than 98 Mausers .

Winston 10, I simply suggested a safe starting load. If I hurt your feelings by stating that .300 Savage data was a bit high to start with, sorry for that. I was comparing chamber pressure numbers as well. Anyway, have a good day.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by winston10 View Post
    Since the 300 Sav and the 7.35 Car are almost identical in every way , bore size , case length , capacity , shoulder angle and the 30/30 is not . And the Carcano action is stronger than any Savage lever rifle . You think the 300 Sav data is wrong ? Using your logic he should use 38 Spl data since the 38 case is smaller and is lower pressure . Decades of doing something does make you an expert . You had to look up the data I already knew and posted . I also am a custom gunsmith who has made many sporter rifles in many of my wildcat rounds out of Carcano actions, as the are stronger for the weight than 98 Mausers .
    I would like to see pictures of some of your wildcats and rifles if you would like to share, I've got a 91/41 Carcano that I would like to kill something with, you know just to do it.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I found this in a 1971-vintage Lyman manual:
    33.0-37.0/IMR 3031/150; 2298 - 2567 f/s
    35.0-39.0/IMR 4895/150; 2257 - 2557 f/s
    35.0-39.0/IMR 4064/150; 2222 - 2469 f/s
    37.0-41.0/IMR 4320/150; 2352 - 2577 f/s

The above data were for J-word projectiles, so I surmise they'd be safe with gas-checked cast projectiles. You might want to reduce the starting load by a grain or two, anyway. These rifles were by no means stout, and the manual recommends against the extensive use of of J-word bullets. I most assuredly WOULD NOT subject them to .300 Savage-level pressures with MY reloads.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

When I get my sizing die back, I’m going to start low and see what comes up best.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Do you have any IMR 3031? Try 24.0 - 33.0 gr. With that cast .301" projectile.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Got a new Boolit for my 7.35 Carcano. It’s an Accurate Mould plain base 140 grain Boolit. BTW, I sold the stock on my Carcano. It drew so much attention I was offered way more than I paid for it. Tried to buy it back, but no go. Finally found another commercial stock and just got through cleaning it up and glass bedding the action. I cast about 150 boolits last week for it and am working on lubing and sizing them with the custom H&I sizing die that I got from Ammohead. It sizes to .3017 if I remember correctly. Going to see if I can load some up by this weekend.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )