RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Maynard 1873

Boolit Master

Maynard 1873

I recently bought an 1873 Maynard that has a shotgun barrel. The muzzle measures .61". I made a dummy round out of a plastic 20 ga shell (no powder or shot) and it slid in easily, and fired the primer on the first try.
    So, are the Magtech 20 ga brass shells the same size as the plastic shells? I can't find any online but I'm sure they'll be available at some point.

Boolit Master
    Cool I’d like to see the gun ! I had thoughts of getting one of the Romano renditions of a Maynard and went to Winchester VA to the North South Skirmish thing one year just to look at their product . Guns were nice but wow they were expensive ! An original was less costly !!! http://www.romanorifle.com/
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Here's a pic. I can't find out if this 20 ga shotgun barrel is an original, or a custom barrel made much later. The barrel doesn't look old, but apparently many of the original shotgun barrels weren't used much.
    I think I'll use a 20 ga plastic shell for now. Magtech brass shells aren't available anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maynard!.jpg  

Boolit Master
    When I still was a member of the ASSRA there was a guy that lived not to far from me that had several original Maynards of which a couple had extra barrels . Seems to me one gun was a five barrel set of which one was a shotgun barrel .

Boolit Master
    FWIW , there’s an article in the 2004 Gun Digest beginning on page 107 written by George Layman . If you can lay your hands on an 04 Gun Digest might be worth reading . The guy I mentioned earlier wrote an article that was in the ASSRA magazine perhaps ten years ago . I’m sure I still have the magazine but god knows where it’s at .

Boolit Master
    If you go on the ASSRA website look for a guy called I believe it was “Green Frog” . He puts on the schuetzen match at the Brushy Mountain Club in Virginia . He’s the fellow that wrote the article in the ASSRA magazine .

Boolit Master
    I did some research on that site. I also got some good info from John Bly, who is known for making quality Maynard barrels.

Is this the Gun Digest you mentioned?
    https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-20.../dp/0873495896

I just bought a copy on ebay for $7.00
    Last edited by Battis; 09-10-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I did some research on that site. I also got some good info from John Bly, who is known for making quality Maynard barrels.

Is this the Gun Digest you mentioned?
    https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-20.../dp/0873495896

I just bought a copy on ebay for $7.00
    Yes sir that’s the one !

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    With that "long range tang sight" that was a rifle.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Maynard made interchangeable shotgun barrels for some of their rifles one of which they called the 64 Maynard and it is very nearly the same as a 20 gauge. I wonder if that is what you have.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    I removed the barrel and found a stamped serial number that matches the gun.
    I just got a box of 20 ga Magtech brass shells. They're too wide to fit. Any ideas on how to size them down?

Boolit Master
    Maynard made rifled barrels and the buyer had the option of adding a smoothbore barrel, either a 55 or 64, or both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maynard barrels.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Didn't the Maynard us a brass shell with a very large diameter rim, that filled the gap between the barrel and action?
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    The 1873 Maynards used the case with the large head to fill that gap. In 1882 they closed that gap and used a more conventional case. Brass is available but it's kinda pricey. One company wants abut $10 per case with a 50 case minimum. I emailed another company that makes the brass and asked if their brass will fit the gun I have. Their cases are about the same price but they don't have a minimum order.
    The problem is the unsupported part of the case base that sticks out of the breech. I'm going to try and fit a bushing over that exposed section to support it. It's the kind of thing that once I figure out how to shoot it safely, I'll move on to the next obscure oddball firearm. But I do want to shoot this gun.