Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 1895 guide with skinner

Boolit Buddy

1895 guide with skinner

Gentlemen,
    I recently purchased a Skinner Express sight for my marlin guide in 45-70. It is the stainless model and the junky buckhorn just looked terrible on it. Not to mention it seemed bent and chanted from the factory.
    I haven't had this gun for very long and only shot maybe 2 boxes of shells from it. This is because I could not get it dialed in. I believe this is because of the buckhorn. I know the remlins have had their issues, but this one looks ok minus the buckhorn that is now gone.
    Does anyone have the express sight? Do you know if it will work with the factory front? Skinner states this is the best sight to have a chance of retaining the front sight. Not apposed to changing the front, but I like the hooded brass bead look.
    I havent had a chance to shoot it yet to see where it hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I recently purchased a Skinner Express sight for my marlin guide in 45-70. It is the stainless model and the junky buckhorn just looked terrible on it. Not to mention it seemed bent and chanted from the factory.
    I haven't had this gun for very long and only shot maybe 2 boxes of shells from it. This is because I could not get it dialed in. I believe this is because of the buckhorn. I know the remlins have had their issues, but this one looks ok minus the buckhorn that is now gone.
    Does anyone have the express sight? Do you know if it will work with the factory front? Skinner states this is the best sight to have a chance of retaining the front sight. Not apposed to changing the front, but I like the hooded brass bead look.
    I havent had a chance to shoot it yet to see where it hits.
    Don't know about the Guide Gun but when I bought my Skinner Express sight they told me it should work with the front sight on my 30-30 Marlin and it does.

Banned
    I don't know about your particular model Marlin but I have Skinners on two of mine. A 1960's era 336 in 30-30 and an 80's vintage 1894CS.

I was able to use the stock front sight on the 1894CS but I had to replace the front sight on the 30-30.

I know this isn't much help. But a 50% shot is better than no shot.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

Couldn't tell ya about the skinner but I put a m1895 ladder on my guide gun looks kind of goofy being a short bbl but i like the adjustability
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p_851000046_1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	267493
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Well Evoken, first things first I guess. I would wait and see what you think after you try it out with the way your set up is now. Best to be sure. I live in the neighboring State here in Ohio and sometimes use my Guide Gun for deer hunting also but because of the old eyes, I have a 1.5-5 Leupold on mine. Maybe after my cataract surgery in October, I can remove my scopes and hunt my rifles like the young guys.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Static line View Post
    Well Evoken, first things first I guess. I would wait and see what you think after you try it out with the way your set up is now. Best to be sure. I live in the neighboring State here in Ohio and sometimes use my Guide Gun for deer hunting also but because of the old eyes, I have a 1.5-5 Leupold on mine. Maybe after my cataract surgery in October, I can remove my scopes and hunt my rifles like the young guys.
    Agreed. This is one of my few rifles that does not have an optic aid on it. I will have to get out and shoot it.
    I've got some reloads that I need to try out. I'm only using h4198 so far, but have a few different charges ready to test.
    Need to make sure it's hitting where I want with taylor mades first though.

Boolit Master
    Evoken, shoot your rifle then if it doesn't zero call Skinner. They are very willing to help figure out which front sight will work if the original doesn't they are great to work with.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master
    Most all my leverguns have Skinner sights and all required me to change the front sight, but that`s alright they have some really neat front sights that are all brass.

Boolit Bub
    I have an 1895 CBA the 18.5" version of the cowboy model and the express sight does work on mine but it is borderline. It depends on the bullet and load but so Far I've been able to make it work

Boolit Grand Master

All of mine required new front blades. I replaced them w/ the brass versions. Easy to file down to dial in a load and doesn’t require touch up like the blued ones do.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a chance to shoot this some yesterday. Ran out of time, but I'm getting close. I'm shooting low right now. I have the rear sight almost maxed out for height. So if anything, I will have to get a rear peep with a longer spindle or a shorter front post.

i most often run an adjustable receiver sight on my levers with a Skinner front post filed to where it hits... i do much better with a blade front than a bead.... only blue ones for me, which i smoke... can't see sharp with shiny sights... i have used Skinner express sights and once tuned in it runs great as an adjustable fixed sight... not going to want to change it much... all most always had to file the front to get it zeroed... just go slow and shoot it as you go...