Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much is too much

Boolit Master

how much is too much

I keep thinking I just need to get one more jug of 2400, but its not like I'm suffering from any kind of powder shortage. is this addiction.
    how much is enough? too much? I know what not enough is.

Banned

Well hard to say.

My wife a few weeks back asked me if if I had enough ammo in case TSHTF.

I told her yea , I'm good until I die. She said no to barter. OH barter , yes I'm good.

LOL

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

If you don't have a lifetime supple you don't have enough.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

That's like asking someone if they have too much money.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on your outlook for the future. I’m woefully under stocked if things head the way I think they will. Hope I’m completely wrong. In that case I’m adequately stocked but could always use more.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, it seems you always “need” more. I have been the same way with primers.

Boolit Master
    MY wife quit asking me, "WHEN will you own enough guns?", right after I answered "The same day you own enough JEWELRY, Honey." The question's never come up again.
    I'm reminded of someone's tag-line on another website that said, "Unless your house is on FIRE, you can NEVER own too much ammo." I'm the same way with reloading components.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    My needs are not addressed well with 2400. In fact, I do not have even a 1 lb canister of it.

I encourage you to look at your projected needs and plan accordingly. You should continue to buy powder until your lifetime needs are addressed.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I keep thinking I just need to get one more jug of 2400, but its not like I'm suffering from any kind of powder shortage. is this addiction.
    how much is enough? too much? I know what not enough is.

Too much is when there is no more on the store shelves; because their all in my Powder Locker.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    i try to keep atleast enough powder to use up the primers i have

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    i try to keep atleast enough powder to use up the primers i have
    Right now, for some, that's almost none; for others who planned ahead and had resources, an awful lot.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

My way to look at is do I have primers bullets and powder. 100lbs of powder and 1000 primers the math making rounds won't match. My handicap right now is primers I run out well before i run out of bullets or powder.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned

It's gonna be a Loooooog wait for some guys with the election looming in the near
    future.

I know guys who run handgun classes that are out of ammo. Why didn't they make pallet purchases? I saw them posting the great prices they got via online discount outfits.

Now they are trying to work deals with local reloader Ralph's.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Like most of the friends here on the forum, I have a considerable amount of ammunition and plenty of components to build more. My great grandsons will likely be enjoying shooting it up long after I'm gone. LOL The problem with the SHTF time is that as old and slow as I'm getting I'll likely still be stuttering Oh **** when I'm out without firing a shot. Gp

Boolit Master

30 grains of Unique in a 30/30 is too much.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

20 years ago I made a concerted effort to have more than I will ever need for each cartridge I work with, brass, moulds,powder (black and smokeless) All guns that I have added since are cast bullet friendly and black powder. I was gifted several hundred thousand primers, Remington and CCI all sizes . I have added to that for special project guns , BR2’s, Federal Gold Match for B/P match loads, now I grab what I will use when it’s reasonable and available.

In the middle of the last powder shortage I managed to stockpile some 30 lbs of Red Dot and Promo.

My question now is do I have enough primers?
    At 7 gr per load that is 1000 rounds per pound and at least half of my loads are in the 3 to 4.5 gr range not 7. So looking at 1500 or more rounds per pound x 30.

That is 45,000 primers. I might have a third of that on hand. I'd have to go open my ammo cans and count boxes.
    A year ago I doubled my existing stocks, and should have done so again this year.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I had ordered a jug of 2400 and while waiting for it to come in, a buddy came over to swap some powder for a stock that was given to me. So my 8lb jug morphed to 15 pounds. That plus two cans IMR 4227. Worked out for me. Frank

Boolit Master

I have not loaded in 5 years. Prior to that I loaded every piece of brass, or so I thought. Found a coffee can of 45 ACP prepped and shiny. Still, I loaded an insane amount of my usual calibers, mostly because my wife is always picking up brass before we shoot, like 15K 9mm over the course of a year. 5K went to my brother, 5k each for our 2 houses. My favorite plinker is an AR15 in 9mm.

3 main powders are Unique, Bullseye, and 4227, all bought in 8lb jugs. Primers would be 5k at a time, SP, LP, SR, LR, and then started collecting more. I have 3 coffee cans of fired brass to process, several hundred pounds of lead/alloy. I got caught with my pants down in 2008 like most of us. I knew I needed to stock up but had just bought a second house. That won't happen again.

I don't shoot as often as I did when I was working, a lot of that was at my employer's expense. I quarterly qualified at work, and after work with my EDC pistols. I still do draw drills, still shoot the 'SWAT' course to maintain muscle memory. Every now and then I do some work with an airsoft pistol with the same heft/weight/trigger/sight picture as my duty/off duty weapons. The only thing the airsoft doesn't have a heavy recoil spring, I can live with that.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have to confess the local gun shop has primers and powder well some primers and I have stopped by 3 times and each time I leave I have more primers and powder. Small pistol and small rifle have been gone so I am picking up large pistol and rifle just in case this is a long dry period.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast