RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Getting my family involved in shooting

Getting my family involved in shooting

This past weekend, my daughter, son in law, and grandkids were at a get together at my sister in law's farm. I had been given notice that they wanted to do some shooting.
    I taught my daughter to shoot and hunt while she was growing up but due to family of her own, she hadn't fired a gun in a long time. Her family doesn't own any firearms.
    My granddaughter has shot with me a time or two before.
    My daughter's husband had never mentioned any interest in shooting to me.
    We all went out to the back pasture and stapled some targets on a tree.
    I started them out with the same 22lr rifle I learned to shoot with. The same rifle I used to train my daughter and granddaughter. It isn't a tack driver but will still shoot squirrels in the head at any practical distance.
    We used the hood of the truck and a gun case for a rest. Basic, but it works.
    Then moved up to a 22lr semi auto. Then a model 15 S&W 28 special with light loads.
    By the time they burned through nearly a hundred rounds apiece, they were starting to get tired. I didn't shoot. I was range officer for the session.
    Son in law had mentioned he had shot before. He didn't mention he had never held a handgun in his hands.
    Surprisingly, he did very well for a novice. Good enough to keep all his rounds on an 8X10 piece of paper at 10 yards. He did his best handgun shooting with the model 14.
    My daughter did well also. Still the best rifle shot among her family.
    Granddaughter was having a ball. Good groups with the rifle and okay with the handguns.
    I have a feeling they will want to repeat this experience.
    It was fun introducing and re-introducing family to firearms in an enjoyable setting.

The only downside to the trip is they have a son, age 11, who makes bad decisions on the spur of the moment. I will not allow him to handle any firearm in my presence due to his bad behavior. It would be like him to suddenly get the urge to shoot at someone and act on it before anyone could stop him.
    We left him at the house and he was fine since he got to drive a golf cart around the yard for pretty much the whole time.
    I am hoping he grows out of his behavior issues as he gets older.
    We will see how things go.

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    That's awesome that you were able to introduce new family to firearms. I have a nephew (godson) who I feel the same way about. He is evil and has an unhealthy obsession with firearms. None of the family is comfortable with him being around guns, and he has proven that he cannot be trusted with them . Maybe someday he will grow out of it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That sounds like a great time Taz I envy your family shooting day .

Boolit Master

Sounds like a great time. The younger the better in my opinion. I try to get my kids out by 8 years old. It takes the fear, and much more importantly, the raging curiosity away. Worst parenting choice is to hide it from them.

My best purchse for training new kids was a .22 suppressor. It takes away the two most distracting and intimidating factors. Noise and recoil. No need for Earpro removal every 20 seconds to give instructions.

You did good, Tazman. I always believed in starting kids young and teaching them to be responsible. I did that with my three daughters, and two nephews. They are all fine with firearms, and treat them with respect.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Sounds like a great time. The younger the better in my opinion. I try to get my kids out by 8 years old. It takes the fear, and much more importantly, the raging curiosity away. Worst parenting choice is to hide it from them.

My best purchse for training new kids was a .22 suppressor. It takes away the two most distracting and intimidating factors. Noise and recoil. No need for Earpro removal every 20 seconds to give instructions.
    I would love to have a suppressor to use but they are a no no in Illinois.

Boolit Grand Master

Getting kids interested in shooting is easy ... Daisy BB gun in the back yard . 22 LR at the range .
    Kids take to shooting like ducklings to water .
    Adults have to teach them to hate guns ... and they're doing a great job of it .
    But I got to my kids before the new age teachers got to them and corrupted them good !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    There was nothing more satisfying than teaching my children to shoot. Now I have grand kids and I started my grandson at 9 and now one of my granddaughters is turning 8 and has demonstrated enough maturity to start now. I could not agree more about getting to them young. Firearms in the home have always been a part of their lives. From the time they can understand what we are saying they have heard the basic rules of handling firearms and have seen it demonstrated in my daily handling of my carry guns.
    When my kids were young I was always thrilled when one of the kids asked to go shooting and was even happier when they would bring one of their friends. I believe that some of the most enjoyable times at the range for me were the days I never fired a shot, but had the pleasure of watch young people fall in love with shooting.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein