Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uh-oh bad news on the 22 availability situation.

Boolit Master

uh-oh bad news on the 22 availability situation.

I have been checking on 22 ammo at the local Dunhams and have bought some as a hedge and have reported my findings here regularly. Today I went in to check and there was very little 22 ammo left on the shelf. What was there was the premium types and the cheapest I saw was at $.10 plus per round. This is what I have been watching for and there it was. I realize that other places have already passed this point on the availability curve. Now we have too, apparently. Here we go.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    A member here asked me “Why so many little cartridges that you reload?”

My answer is to insulate from 22 lr shortages and high prices!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    A member here asked me “Why so many little cartridges that you reload?”

My answer is to insulate from 22 lr shortages and high prices!

Three44s
    Amen to that! Here again, as it was during the Obamination years, I can shoot my .357 mag carbine cheaper than I can shoot my .22's! Ridiculous! It doesn't have to be this way!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

That was the original reason for the High Point 9mm carbine also. But just in case i have about 10,000 rounds of 22 long rifle here and there.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

.22 has been plentiful around here since so many stocked up since the last shortage. I've been surprised to see it so plentiful when remembering to check on it. I have plenty, so haven't noticed the last couple of trips.

Went to the local (50 miles away) Sportsman's Warehouse and their pistol ammo and components were completely gone. I did grab one of two cases of Federal large pistol primers, another box of HSM 10mm bear loads, and a box of .450 Bushmaster ammo.

Attachment 267446

Attachment 267447
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Man
    Checked out the nearest sportsman’s warehouse this past Sunday and the had no handgun ammo except for 50AE and 500sw. There was only 4 boxes of each.

Last time I was there about a month ago they only had revolver ammo.

I’ve been picking up a couple of boxes of whatever Is priced normal whenever I go out. Picked up 3 boxes of 145gr 350 legend from Walmart.

****s about to get even more real.
    Last edited by Gone_rabid; 09-08-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sadly we shooters have to now stockpile sizable quanties af ammunition as in the past 15 years there are frequent shortages of long duration for it. .22 RF ammo is a great example; every few years it is in short supply and the price goes way up. The manufactureres seemingly like it that way as they can immediately sell all they can make. I am not aware of any that increased manufacturing capacity since the last couple of shortage, all of which lasted for years. I have read it isn't profitable enough to warrant more capitalization. I never understood why China does make the stuff. Then...the gun grabbers complain about shooters that have many thousands of rounds stored away. I well recall in the 60,70,80,90's I never ever went to a gunshop or a shop that sold .22 RF ammo and saw the shelves empty of .22 RF ammo. BTW back then the ammo was far more reliable with excellent Quality control. IT WAS EXTREMELY RARE TO HAVE A FTF .22 LONG RIFLE ROUND...EVEN IN A FILTHY, DIRTY GUN. Remember the Rem 66...we were told there was no need to clean it!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Amen to that! Here again, as it was during the Obamination years, I can shoot my .357 mag carbine cheaper than I can shoot my .22's! Ridiculous! It doesn't have to be this way!
    My memory is getting bad..... I was getting a bit low on .22LR a while back and was shocked at the limited availability and the price. Then I found Aguila on sale at a good price. Not my favorite but fine for plinking and fun target shooting. So I ordered 4000 rounds.

Then I was puttering in the shop and saw I was getting a bit low on .22LR a while back and was shocked at the limited availability and the price. Then I found Aguila on sale at a good price. Not my favorite but fine for plinking and fun target shooting. So I ordered 4000 rounds.

Imagine my surprise when UPS brought me .22LR twice......

Needless to say the 8000 rounds I ordered along with around a thousand rounds on the shelf will keep me for a while.

Wally, China is banned from importing ammo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe504 View Post

Maybe we should vote for Biden after all......no....just kidding
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    How very conveinent...looks like the lobbiests have done well..think about it, if they could export to thr US the bean counters at the ammo manufacturers would have to do somethiung to prevent these numerous shortages and proloinged shortages. Those that dislike ammo from China can choose not to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe504 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Maybe we should vote for Biden after all......no....just kidding
    I'll vote for Biden moving to China. Once at the polling place, once online, and once through the mail! Great idea!
    When I was little, we shot our center fires seldom due to the cost. NOW- I shoot a gang of center fire handguns and rifles constantly(Cast Boolits!) and save the rimfire ammo until the shortage is over.
    Life goes on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Blame it on my wife.
    SWMBO discovered a brick of 22 makes a fine Christmas present for the grandchildren. We have nine. They all shoot 22. So she bought a whole lot of 22, every chance she could. I dunno how much she has left in 50 caliber cans. Whatta good grammar. Told me go get your own bullets.
    Nobody ever returned a brick of 22.
    I love my Swede, bears are afraid of her.
    Run for your life! She has a rifle!
    (30-06 Savage; dialed in)
    She wants your teeth for a necklace! Run!
    All we ever saw was bear's tails headed out.
    Kids start with 22. Need lots and lots.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    How very conveinent...looks like the lobbiests have done well..think about it, if they could export to thr US the bean counters at the ammo manufacturers would have to do somethiung to prevent these numerous shortages and proloinged shortages. Those that dislike ammo from China can choose not to buy it.
    Have you been paying attention the past few decades? Any product that China can make and import here leads to the end of the product being manufactured in the US. Do we really want to be reliant of China for ammo? The shortages are caused by our political parties and consumers. There would be no shortages if one political party wasn’t slowly chipping away at the Second Ammendment.

As far as china goes i wish someone would bulldoze that country off into the ocean along with a few others
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

China cant import ammo because of the 1994 assault weapons ban, and the fact that Norinco is completely banned for selling anything to the US because they were trying to dump AK's into the US illegally.

Boolit Master
    I am aware, however we've had too many persistent shortages...as stated I recall a 40 year stretch when there were none--in the last 20 how may have there been? Do we really enoy shooting a pellet rifle when your ammo runs out? Nothing much we shooters can do when so many vote for that party.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Have you been paying attention the past few decades? Any product that China can make and import here leads to the end of the product being manufactured in the US. Do we really want to be reliant of China for ammo? The shortages are caused by our political parties and consumers. There would be no shortages if one political party wasn’t slowly chipping away at the Second Ammendment.

Boolit Master
    Just to try to clear up some of the confusion I found in the above conversations, China exports to here, we import from there. GF

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    As far as china goes i wish someone would bulldoze that country off into the ocean along with a few others
    No need if the Three Gorges Dam goes. The epic flooding on the Yangtze River has the dam under serious pressure this summer. If the dam goes, the flood downstream will take 80% of the Chinese economy with it along with the CCP. The city of Wuhan will be one of the first to disappear.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I still have bricks from the Clinton administration.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast