Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1917 Enfield POA change at 100 yards from from 150 grain bullet to a heavier pill?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

1917 Enfield POA change at 100 yards from from 150 grain bullet to a heavier pill?

I haven’t shot my 1917 since last year with some random test loads. I had some Sierra 150 grain game King bullets laying around I tried on deer years ago and was less then impressed out of my 7600. No exits or bloods trails with right behind the shoulder, heart and lung shots. Both deer ran a good 75 yards with zero blood and piled up. Both bullets I found shattered into little fragments on the far shoulders. I figured they would make good plinking bullets fro my enfield. I loaded them up with 56 or 57 grains of H4350 if I remember. I’ll have to dig up the Plinking load. I sighted the gun in with the load as you can see...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...MOA-with-irons!!!

Well, I’d like to change bullets to use for deer hunting. My question is how much will my POA change at 100 yards if I goto a 165 or 180 grain bullet? I can always load up a 150 grain Remington core loct or Nosler ballistic tip at the same velocity and see if I’m still spot on worse case scenario. I figured if I’m hitting the X or close to it with 150 grain bullets with my peep slid all the way down I would like to keep things simple and not have to adjust my peep. Any suggestions or words or wisdom?

Boolit Grand Master
    I think each rifle is a law unto itself, so you will probably have to try whatever load you settle on to see.

For what its worth, I think the only thing I ever shot through my as issued M1917 when I had it was either M2 ball or 150 grain factory loads.

I have killed quite a few Missouri Whitetails with 150 grain factory loads, usually Winchester Power Points, but there may have been a few Remington PSP's, and never had one go to pieces like what you are describing. Maybe a bad lot of bullets???

Good luck

Robert

Reading the previous post that you linked to, lots of questions arise: Are you using the tape/hole on your glasses this time around? And, what about when you're hunting? Are you going to use the same H4350 load, or are you going to adjust it because of the heavier bullet weight. If the same, I would expect a 2-3" drop at 100 yds. which would put you very close to dead on; but if you're going to change the load then all bets are off. You really need to settle on the load, and how you're going to sight the rifle in the field, make sure you're zeroed before hunting.

With the “taped pin hole” removed my POA is dead on at 100 yards...or about a 1/4” low. I’m going to try and round up some 150 grain Remington PSP to load up with the same load and see how they group. After the 150 grain Sierra Game kings did what they did I’m not going to give them a second chance.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-08-2020 at 05:43 PM.

I’m going to load up some random load 165 and 180 grain bullets along with some more of the 150 grain Sierra pro hunters and see where the POA impacts at 100 yards. I have some 180 grain core locts, 180 grain and 165 grain Nosler ballistic tips to try. The rest of my .308 stuff are premium bullets for my 300RUM so I’ll leave those sit. I do have a box of 180 grain TSX I can burn through. I’ll never use an all copper bullet for hunting. I’d use the pro hunters but shot a few deer with them and wasn’t impressed. I had two deer in a row that the bullet blew up on the far side leg bone and never exited. No blood trail and and both deer went about 60 to 75 yards before dropping. Heart and lungs hit on both deer. Never shot a bullet in an 06’ that never had a pass through till the 150 grain Sierra pro hunters. Even 125 grain Nosler ballistic tips pass through and brake bone. Probably a defective box but that’s enough for me to never shoot a deer with them again. I guess I’ll use the rest of the box for plinking.

Boolit Master
    a deer running 60 to 100 yards isnt bad. with the speed a deer runs thats only alive for 10 seconds!!

how much faster do you want them dead??
    game kings are hollow points so there gonna blow up

Banned
    I have tried to estimate this myself in different scenarios with ballistic tables, ballistic calculators, etc. They were never close.

Now, when I want to document load trajectories, I go to one specific range in my area and dope it out. I zero the gun at whatever distance I have chosen, then set targets at different intervals and check POI.

Sometimes the results are close to the Hornady ballistic calculator, sometimes they are not.

What I'm saying is that if you want to be sure then you will have to actually shoot and see.

Steve in N CA

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    a deer running 60 to 100 yards isnt bad. with the speed a deer runs thats only alive for 10 seconds!!

how much faster do you want them dead??
    game kings are hollow points so there gonna blow up
    The game king I’m referring to is the 150 grain soft point boat tail. Part number #2125. No exit and no blood bothers me more than running after the shot and 60 to a 100 yards puts the deer on my neighbors property and their tag on my deer. There are a lot better bullet options out there that I’ve tried over the years that brake bones instead of stopping on them and exit every time and literally will put a deer down on the spot or within a few feet out of an 06’. I’ve read a lot of similar experiences with the #2125 the net. Sounds like they are very soft. Im site I’ll switch over to a core loct. I’m a half a century old and have shot an average of 3 to 6 deer a year or more since I’ve been 12 with 180 grain core locts. I can count on one hand how many didn’t drop on the spot. I’m sure my POA will be off no matter what I switch to and will have to zero my rifle back in to what ever bullet I chose to replace it with.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-11-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I have tried to estimate this myself in different scenarios with ballistic tables, ballistic calculators, etc. They were never close.

Now, when I want to document load trajectories, I go to one specific range in my area and dope it out. I zero the gun at whatever distance I have chosen, then set targets at different intervals and check POI.

Sometimes the results are close to the Hornady ballistic calculator, sometimes they are not.

What I'm saying is that if you want to be sure then you will have to actually shoot and see.

Steve in N CA
    Steve,

You nailed it! In order to know where a rifle shoots one has to go to the bench with binocs or spotting scope and shoot.

Adam

Boolit Master
    I agree, but, you can save yourself some time and ammo by using a ballistic calculator to tell you where the POI will be ahead of time. I do this all the time when changing loads. It at least gets me on paper with the first shot, then can make the adjustments to center at each range.

http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/

The difference between the 150gn and 180gn will only be 2 or 3 inches at 200yds if you load to factory velocities.
    Last edited by charlie b; 09-11-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I agree, but, you can save yourself some time and ammo by using a ballistic calculator to tell you where the POI will be ahead of time. I do this all the time when changing loads. It at least gets me on paper with the first shot, then can make the adjustments to center at each range.

http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/

The difference between the 150gn and 180gn will only be 2 or 3 inches at 200yds if you load to factory velocities.
    I used a Nikons ballistic chart to figure out about the same POI When I loaded up my 165 and 180 grain loads to test. Compared to my 150’s. I will see how close they are to the 150’s. I did talk to Sierra yesterday. The ballistic technician told me thst was quite common for the #2125 unless I slowed it WAY down one shot my deer at extremely long range. I’ll have to get my hands on some 150 grain core locts and 150 grain ballistic tips to try.

Food for thought
    Rifle 1895gs 45-70
    500 grain lee rnfp .461 52 grains of h322
    500 grain acurate wfn .459 40 grains of h322
    Heres the kicker the wfn actually shot close to a foot higher @ 100 yards with less powder
    Im still lining this load out hope to have some more testing done this week
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Thanks, I have had guns shoot higher with jacketed heavier projectiles moving at slower velocity when testing as well. I’m hoping since my 150’s are about a 1/4” or so low that my 100 FPS slower 165’s are about an inch high and don’t veer to the left and right...or I’ll just have to get out my sight pusher. That was the original thought process. When I get to the range I’ll see far off my idea was.

I know when I ladder test using the same cast boolit for accuracy testing the higher the powder charge and Increase in velocity the higher it climbs on paper. My groups also end up grouping to the left or right at higher charges. I normally try to zero my gun in on the starting charge at 100 yards and by the time I get to max loading I’m about a good 3” to 4” Plus high every time using my 44 mag, 450 BM, and 35 Rem rifles.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-12-2020 at 07:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    My experience is that it’s rare when you can pre-predict point of impact between load changes. And a load change can be as minor as a change in primers, much less changing bullets or their weights.

Now sometimes the loads POI will settle in fairly close as you go up towards the established upper pressure limits for a cartridge but not always.

I guess I am pretty cavalier about “just shoot the darn thing” since I can shoot just yards from my home for 270 degrees around it and most any reasonable distance, so I forget that most folks have to go to great lengths to test their loads. If I had to suffer through what many of you have to go through, I would go batty!

I get flustered because the weather ain’t perfect at my “lead bank” ......

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 09-12-2020 at 09:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I live in town so I’d get locked up. My hunting property and shooting range are about 7 miles away from each other which are both about 15/20 minutes or so from town. I need to make a range on my property one day. I just don’t want to spook the deer for bow hunting this time of year blasting away on my property.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot on my father-in-law's property. We'd go in the shop and load some ammo, go out and shoot it, then make adjustments to the load. Rinse and repeat. Could use up a weekend easy. I am still a bit jealous of those who can do that.

Now days the range is nicer but it is about 40min from the house. Takes a bit of planning to get ready. The advantage is there are 100, 300 and 1000yd ranges to work with. Got me hooked on longer range shooting.

Boolit Master
    I see little difference in impacts between 150gr and 165gr bullets through my P17. It’s sighted for the 150’s. Switching to a 165 moves impact approximately 1” to right. It takes so little movement of the front sight I don’t bother moving it.

My experience with the Sierra GK’s is contrary to yours. I suggest you didn’t hit the deer where you thought you did. I do prefer the ProHunter flat base to 300yds as they tend to be slightly more accurate. Also hold together better. I suggest you try the Hornady Interloks. They work as advertised and are slightly cheaper than Sierras.

Boolit Master

What's wrong with the Nosler Partition ? My family used them for years.
    Sierra's for practice & Deer Hunting, Nosler's for Elk hunting.
    I have 2 M1917's, one is a as-issued. The other is Semi-sporterized in .257Rob'ts. The bolt stop, mag box and chamber were made to fit the Remington 117gr Round Nose Load. So extremely short throat. Shoot either Factory ammo or Hornady 117gr RN.
    The M1917 "stk" front sight was "cut" for 150gr SP at 2700fps, POI & POA coincide at 100yrds. A 200gr SPBT at 2400fps will strike 3 1/2" at 100yrds.
    The Sierra Bullets have always worked well for me & mine. Never had one come apart as you describe.
    Last edited by Walks; 09-20-2020 at 01:25 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    I see little difference in impacts between 150gr and 165gr bullets through my P17. It’s sighted for the 150’s. Switching to a 165 moves impact approximately 1” to right. It takes so little movement of the front sight I don’t bother moving it.

My experience with the Sierra GK’s is contrary to yours. I suggest you didn’t hit the deer where you thought you did. I do prefer the ProHunter flat base to 300yds as they tend to be slightly more accurate. Also hold together better. I suggest you try the Hornady Interloks. They work as advertised and are slightly cheaper than Sierras.

The deer I shot was 35/45 yards away. I had the bullet loaded at a max book load. My load book said it was pushing approx or a little over 3,000 FPS. To fast with to fragile of a bullet...right from the Sierra service tech’s mouth. He said he has seen it many of times. When I field dressed the deer it’s heart had a bullet hole poked through it and the bullet stopped and fragmented on the far shoulder with not doing any damage to the leg bone. It’s like it went in and made a pencil size wound cavity till it hit leg bone and disintegrated with very little damage. I asked Sierra if they wanted the rest of them back to test but was told no because it was not an uncommon scenario with that 150 grain bullet at close range pushed fast. I was told to slow the velocity WAY down or shoot deer at ALOT further ranges (300 plus yards I was told by Serra’s ballistic technician) so the bullet will have lost enough velocity to hold together enough to penetrate deeper. He also told me I was better off with a their 165 or 180 grain offering so I would get pass throughs.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-12-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

You won't know till you shoot them side by side. I have shot 270s that would group everything from 100 to 160 into a 2 " group at 100 yards to a 308 that would throw 180s 6 " off of the 150 group at 100 yards. There is no easy answer as it depends on the gun the barrel weight and the bedding. This is where you need trigger time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast