Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a Maytag ringer on my property

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Found a Maytag ringer on my property

Is it worth anything or should I just scrap it? I didn’t realize what the ringer part was and already took it to the scrap guy...but I’m sure I can get back.

I was debating on making a minnow live well out of it and putting it in the garage. Just wondering if it’s worth anything to make up for my time and gas I used hauling four loads of scrap to the dump that was left on my property before I acquired or if I should just give it to my scrap guy?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-08-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You got rid of the part that was most valuable!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Dad and I launched one of these, always cleaned shop rags in gasoline in one. We would park in out in the middle of nothing in the barn lot in case something went wrong... finally did! I swear it was headed for orbit!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You got rid of the part that was most valuable!
    Lol, yep I know. If it’s still there and he lets me have it back I’ll grab it. Might not be worth messing with. The machine has a couple of decades on me so I didn’t know what the ringer was.

Is what I have pictured worth of any value of I don’t recover the ringer?

Boolit Master
    Only if somebody is rebuilding one.

Boolit Master

antique shops will buy them but you wont get a lot, more than a scrap yard though. I have one in pristine shape with motor in one of the barns and probably 3 or 4 more in about the same shape as yours. city folk like to turn them into planters for their yard
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

^^^lol ...that’s what my sister said to do. I have enough crap in my yard.

Boolit Master
    I had one we picked up on a clean up week on the curb by the street.I didint thank it would be worth anything. It was in very nice shape. It went for over 600$ at a small auction.

Boolit Buddy
    Young 'uns? or victims of spell check?

Wringer as in wring your neck...or tit in a wringer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	109f866444c9ecaadd00fe719058f6ee.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	267421

Ringer is the part of a telephone as old as the washing machine that made the bell noise

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1704_1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	267422

Boolit Grand Master
    Depends if you can get the wringer back or not, first.

Second is if you can get all the dirt and stuff out of the drive gear, it looks pretty packed to me.

Third, it has been taken partially apart by someone so it probably has issues.

I used a few as a kid in the seventies when you could find them for $5-15, and would like to have a working one now for greasy stuff, but that one looks too far gone to me.

Robert

Probably both.lol

I’m sure it was sitting out there because it obviously was broke so there’s got to be something wrong with it other than the dirt packed in it and it’s rusting like nobody’s business. My relatives who previously owned the land would still be using it if it worked.lol

As much as I think it’s neat I think the scrap man’s probably going to get it. He took two refrigerators at no cost so if he sells this thing for any money he at least will get paid back for doing the favor of taking the two old refrigerators for free. I gave him thee truckloads of scrap as well. I was just happy to get the mess off my property. It’s about 35 minutes each way to the scrap yard so I figured by the time I ran back-and-forth with gas I probably would’ve lost money trying to sell the scrap myself.

Any redneck in Arkansas would be proud to have it.

Repaint it and put it on the front porch.
    It'll look great with a commode flower pot and '75 T Bird up on blocks in the front yard.

You can spot the rich people out there too--
    they have two '75 Thunderbirds up on blocks in the front yard.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Now yer talkin Ed!

My dad told me that’s where the saying came from “don’t get your tit in a wringer!”...and he told me my grandma actually did!!! Good thing there was a reverse on it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-08-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    On wash day, usually Monday, what little boy didn't think it was a good idea to stick his right hand in the wringer, just to see what would happen? I tried it. Good thing Mom wasn't far away. About the one you have, scrape it. Who needs that kind of trouble. Time wasted.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    theres a house down the road that has one like that on the front porch. I'm pretty sure they still use it on wash days. you sure won't find a new washer that will last as long as those old time American made ones.

Boolit Master
    Don't know how waterproof that thing is now, but with a few coats of Refrigerator enamel might juts make a dandy beer cooler. Guy not too far from me has an old big John Deere tractor out in front of the house. And some folks on a neighboring street have two Kubotas sitting way back on their lawn. All rusted to heck. Seems a shame they let them get that way. Nothing but scrap metal now. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    theres a house down the road that has one like that on the front porch. I'm pretty sure they still use it on wash days.
    The real old ones that had the hand lever to make the agitator turn would survive a 12 megaton blast.
    (Most people got rid of those when the kids grew up and weren't there to operate it anymore)
    The gas engine ones would go and go too.
    The newer electric motor ones would out live several motors if they didn't rot away from underneath in the weather.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Id rather have one of those than one of these crazyfornia water saving pieces of crap like i bought a few years ago
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

I inherited my Mothers Wringer Washer (hand crank wringer) I used the Wringer for shop towels, car towels and such. Wish I still had the Wringer now.

Boolit Master

What I don't know is why a washing machine has , or needs, blue teeth??
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast