Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W in an AR pistol

Boolit Master

.40 S&W in an AR pistol

In the past I've purchased molds without much research afore hand. I'd like to take a more targeted approach this time. I have an AR pistol on order, but it won't be here for a couple months. I may buy a can down the road, depending on what the world looks like after Nov 3.

I'm looking for suggestions. I've got an oven, plastic bowls and a 3lbs order of Smoke's PC on the way, so lube grooves are optional.

So whudaya think? Thanks.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    I’d look and see what Accurate molds has in that size range.

Boolit Master

Another vote for Accurate. Fine, fine molds. Any flavor you can dream up.

A side note. What possessed you to order such a thing. Old Eugene would probably have a stroke if he saw that.

Banned

first mold id suggest for a new caster of 40s is the lee 180 tn. It feeds in most. My favorite though is the mihech 160 round flat. it feeds flawlessly in anything 40. Who is building your 40? Id love an ar i 40 myself. Ive got a couple in 9mm but the forty is just my favorite. All i have to scratch that itch with a stock on it now is a micro roni with a glock 22 shoved up in it and a high point. I love my little 4.5 in ar15 in 9 and would love one just like it in 40. After the months of tuning on that 4.5 inch gun to get it right i think id go your route with a 40 and just buy one.

Boolit Master

I bought 2 from Arsenal , as my lighter weight MP mold would not feed in my pistols reliably after powder coating , needed a certain length and nose was just to fat , they were a nice ranch dog mold with a nice wide meplat and a round nose copy of h&g 34 , both gave me what I needed in length and able to chamber and feed .

Boolit Master

I have built a few AR 15 pistols, in 9mm 10.5", 300 BO 10.5", and the oddball, 5.56 at 7.5". The 9 was easy, I just had a local smith cut down and crown a rifle barrel. The 5.56 is obnoxiously loud . . . and I like it! Granted, my loads are downloaded to 2250 fps for lead and sintered copper frangibles, mostly for steel plates from 25 to 50 yards. Rolling cans as well.

Digging through my things, I recently found another pistol lower. I think I was going to build the Wife a 9mm, but now I think she might really need a 40 S&W

Edit: I always buy/build 2 of everything unless she says 'no thank you.' She didn't want a 5.56 or a 300 BO as she said, 'I can always shoot yours.'
    Last edited by fcvan; 09-08-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

A real 10" AR15 in 10mm, no blade or tube would be neat. For 40sw, longer barrel would take to 165gr better for higher fps.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    a real 10" ar15 in 10mm, no blade or tube would be neat.
    ^ this!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Another vote for Accurate. Fine, fine molds. Any flavor you can dream up.

A side note. What possessed you to order such a thing. Old Eugene would probably have a stroke if he saw that.
    Since the obummer administration I've been picking up handgun ammo as the inspiration hit me. Over the years, .40 has been the most available and I've found that I have a bunch of it. Provided I can keep myself in primers and powder, it's something that will get a lot of use.

I may be causing Eugene some anxiety, but he'll get lots of sympathy from John Moses, John C, Sam, Mikhail and the rest of the gang.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    first mold id suggest for a new caster of 40s is the lee 180 tn. It feeds in most. My favorite though is the mihech 160 round flat. it feeds flawlessly in anything 40. Who is building your 40? Id love an ar i 40 myself. Ive got a couple in 9mm but the forty is just my favorite. All i have to scratch that itch with a stock on it now is a micro roni with a glock 22 shoved up in it and a high point. I love my little 4.5 in ar15 in 9 and would love one just like it in 40. After the months of tuning on that 4.5 inch gun to get it right i think id go your route with a 40 and just buy one.
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...-review/367776

CMMG sells 3 models of the Banshee : 100; 200; and 300. I'm in line for the 200. If the 300 came with a Geissele trigger I might have been tempted, but both the 200 and 300 come with milspec. It uses the Glocke 22 mags. Comes with an 8" barrel.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

I love mine!!!

I had some issue with how this manufacturer made the ejector. But once I fixed that its been great!!

I shoot a couple differ et bullets and have done for using the gun as a "rifle" in my pcp matches here. Works great the extra momentum thatbthe 175/180g bullets carry @ 1000 fps is a nice addition on steel too!

Im shooting a 175 LEE TC bullet. The TL version was Pitifully IN Accurate. The TCversion is great! Also my older Lyman 180 rnfp I have forgotten numbers 402634 maybe???

Clays, Power Pistol, Unique, HS6, & Longshot have worked well.

I used to shoot the LEE 145g but this gun wasnt 100%. But that was before my ejector mods. I should try again as THAT BULLET @1000 shot softer then a 9mm!!

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    A real 10" AR15 in 10mm, no blade or tube would be neat. For 40sw, longer barrel would take to 165gr better for higher fps.
    By real AR I guess you mean DI? I have several PCC and all are DI and yes I have both 40 S&W and 10mm. Both run great and are accurate and recoil is less then a blowback. Here is my RMW EXTREME DI 10mm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7LsF0aw.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	267460

Boolit Master

DI would be awesome for the 10. The 10 is allot to ask of a blow back. I have a mech tec. It works and shoots accurately but I cannot load the ten as it was meant to.

I have a Ruger carbine in 40 and its good too. But also find I cannot load it "hot". Its not at all a gun maker issue its the limitations of the blow back and the weight of the bolt. If ya made it to run heavies it likely would not run reg stuff. A DI fixes that.

My 40/AR is not for hot stuff so its great. I had allot of problem finding long 40 barrels. Everything was 6-8". I wanted 12.... I ended up with a 8.5" and had it pinned and welded to 12.5 for legality in my state.

Now Im working in a 357 Sig Conversion barrel. Takinh a 9mm and re chambering to 357 Sig.

CW

Banned

dont know how youd do a REAL ar without a buffer tube. Personaly i think the tube and brace is what makes these guns. Without it you have a extreamly heavy awkward pistol and would be much better off with a glock 20.

Boolit Master

I dont know why, a .40 AR sound silly and pointless to me. A 10MM however, that sounds more........effective.

Boolit Master

I dont know why, a .40 AR sound silly and pointless to me. A 10MM however, that sounds more........effective.
    Well a 40 in a longer barrel EXCEEDS 10mm ballistics from a hand gun...

This stupid prejudice against the 40 is pointless. Perfect example is the "new" 6mm ARCH. IT HAS NO LESS THEN FIVE NEARLY IDENTICAL CARTRIDGES ALREADY ESTABLISHED... (Its not even as "good" as some!!) Yet there it is... thats Just a example.

We have profound redundancies within calibers. If a given caliber is not for you.... MOVE ON!

CW

Banned

ballisticaly about the same as a 4440 or a 44 special rifle loaded on the warm side. Not many here would say thats silly. Yup the 10mm is more effective but why stop there why not just get a 50 beo. Whats silly is those who really believe the 9mm is as powerful and effective as a 40. A 40 in a rifle would push a 180 to around 1200 fps and that my friends is 41 mag pistol territory. Whats not to like. Cheap to load, easy to cast for. probably half the price per round as a 556. Easy to hit with for those handgun challenged and enough power to dispatch even a deer at 50 yards. Yup the 10 will do it too and i own a couple 10s that for the most part collect dust because finding cheap brass is about impossible and that alone makes it much more expensive to shoot. Add to that we here are bullet casters and anyone thats hunted big game with a handgun will tell you the difference in 1200 fps and 1500 fps on animals is minimal and for the most part just opens up alot of problems with alloys ect to get accuracy and penetration on game. i guess im in the completely opposite camp. I say why bother with a 10mm rifle when you can get one in 40.

Boolit Master

I couldn't find a 180 grain mold in the Lee catalog so I went with the Lee 401-175-TC as suggested. Midway didn't have .401 Lyman molds or sizing dies in stock, but I'm OK with the Lee push through. I'll try them out on the S&W M+P while I'm waiting, and see what Miha has on the shelf.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    I couldn't find a 180 grain mold in the Lee catalog so I went with the Lee 401-175-TC as suggested. Midway didn't have .401 Lyman molds or sizing dies in stock, but I'm OK with the Lee push through. I'll try them out on the S&W M+P while I'm waiting, and see what Miha has on the shelf.
    I like it!! Its held proper accuracy for me (8.5" bbl) past 100 yards. (Steel Plate accuracy.) up close, inside 50, nothing is safe. Even little "fat"golf ball bonus targets topple with ease.

Hope ya like it and that 6 cav makes a pile a bullets quickly!

CW

https://youtu.be/gpB7f0Oh-hI

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Well a 40 in a longer barrel EXCEEDS 10mm ballistics from a hand gun...

This stupid prejudice against the 40 is pointless. Perfect example is the "new" 6mm ARCH. IT HAS NO LESS THEN FIVE NEARLY IDENTICAL CARTRIDGES ALREADY ESTABLISHED... (Its not even as "good" as some!!) Yet there it is... thats Just a example.

We have profound redundancies within calibers. If a given caliber is not for you.... MOVE ON!

CW
    I think you mean the 6mm ARC.

It was designed to use a standard AR bolt face, fit in a AR15 mag, and use long heavy bullet, 107 gr for example. None of the other existing 6mm cases would do all of the above.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast