MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Hi Point 995 Range report.

Hi Point 995 Range report.

I recently picked up a Hi Point 995 9mm Carbine for peanuts. The rifle is an earlier model know as the “1st Gens”. Anyhow, it has quickly become my favorite plinker and wanted to share some of my experiences with the carbine. It seems to feed anything I feed it. It has been reliable 100% of the time and has been extremely accurate as well able to hit the 8 inch gong at 100 yards with ease.

I have attached some pictures of the 50 yard paper target. It opened up on a mag dump that I did but still quite acceptable for the distance. I fired a total of 80 cartridges.

Load:

LEE 356-120-TC sized .358 Lubed with Carnuba red.
    3.8 grains of Titegroup Powder
    S&B SPP
    100% Function

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B0FC5C2E-6F25-4592-A90D-F5DCF2D76174.jpeg 
Views:	281 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	267411
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B42876E-7C17-47E1-80F9-A10A8A509353.jpeg 
Views:	273 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	267412
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Master

I have the later models in 9mm and they will feed anything I have tried , 9mm pistols have a load they will not feed , I run them through the hi-point , and they are quite handy as a pickup truck or camp gun . Upper right looks like the shape of your bullet , nice guns for the money .

Boolit Grand Master

I got my HP in 45 ACP, M 4595, about a year ago. It has fed and fired everything I put in it after I found the OAL that fits the magazine, just about .006"-.007" shorter than my hand gun ammo (and now I load all my 45 ACPs to fit the HP magazine). I also got very good accuracy, first magazine full went under 1 1/2" at about 20-25 yards. Pretty good for an old guy using ion sights...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

My 1st gen ran flawless. The only thing I hated about it was the stock would flex and open enough in the comb area that it grabbed your face hair and ripped it out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    My 1st gen ran flawless. The only thing I hated about it was the stock would flex and open enough in the comb area that it grabbed your face hair and ripped it out.
    Now that sounds fun !
    That's why you never see pictures of mountain men with Hi Points

An inexpensive firearm firing inexpensive ammo that functions perfectly and is fun to shoot; there is something wonderful about that.

Boolit Grand Master

I was impressed enough that I added my HP 4595 to my JIC arsenal (Just In Case). I bought 3 extra magazines and my carbine has never failed to function...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy

Reminds me. I'll have to take mine out and play soon.

Boolit Master

I had the .45 carbine, but honestly wasn't super impressed. I will admit it was reliable 100% of the time, but that's where the positives end. Sights were total crap, and misaligned. Mags were small, 8 rds I think. For whatever reason the recoil impulse stung the tar out of your cheek. I'm no Nancy and not recoil shy. Never felt that from any other firearm. Add to that, shooting .45 at any distance is akin to throwing bowling balls. It was never very accurate no matter the load. Everyone I know who owns a 9mm version loves them, that may have been my problem, or I got a lemon. Sold it and bought a Grand Power Stribog SP1. Favorite gun of 2019.

Boolit Grand Master
    The gun has remarkably good reviews and I have been tempted more than once to get once.

Then reality sets in. If if could take Glock magazines...maybe. But it does not offer much in terms of practicality. For a SHTF or home defense gun if lacks the power, accuracy, firepower, and range of the 5.56. 9mm ammunition weighs about the same as 5.56...a factor if you need to travel and defend yourself during an "event". I am heavily invested in the 5.56 so a change would be difficult to justify. But as a "fun" gun it has a place. My "fun" guns are .38/.357's so that need is covered. For a person who does not reload, stocking up on 9mm when it is going for less than $200/case makes it is a great carbine choice.

I keep thinking the US Army got it right in 1940 when they brought out the .30 Carbine. Light and handy platform. Good enough to 150 yards. Decent magazine capacity. Ammunition not too heavy. Twice the performance of the 9mm. Alas the days of cheap .30 Carbines and ammunition are long gone. Wish I could turn back the clock 40-50 years.
    Don Verna