RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .38 special load

Quote Originally Posted by dlbarr View Post
    . I'll switch to Unique as I have plenty of that. Somewhere I thought I heard Blue Dot was the powder for .38 snubbies....
    I've always been a big fan of Blue Dot for 4-6" .357s.
    For .38s, I seem to always find myself coming back to Unique, or Bullseye if I can find a good deal on it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Ditto!
    231 for ALL my standard handgun and subgun loads. 4.0 for revolver over H&G #51 for 38.
    Same here. My "231" reads HP38 & 4.0works with#358432 & 359429.

For a friendlier load in the snub nose light revolvers: I load 3.0 of WST with the MP-130 (a 9mm boolit) sized to .358 for the ladies as an introduction load.

Boolit Buddy
    try red dot! it's very fast burning(if you can find any!)

I will second Red Dot. If you can not find data, I believe you can always start with Bullseye’s published minimum load and work up. I like Bullseye, but Red Dot burns at about the same speed, is usually cheaper, and fills the cases to a higher level. I do think the down side of Red Dot is that it is dirtier than Bullseye.

3.1 RDot and a 148 Full Wad Cutter gives me 820 from the four inch, and 830 from the 6inch. Even though they are two different guns, I like to think that my data shows that the load is good for a four inch gun.
    Last edited by 1006; 09-12-2020 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Removed snub data

My Alliant BlueDot data says 6.3 for the 158 LSWC, 38 Special +P. The burn might cleanup with more pressure, or a magnum primer.

Boolit Master
    I concur with PAKMC and 1006 concerning the use of Red Dot. Economical and clean-burning, very consistent results. I'm not in front of my notes nor a reloading manual, but I seem to remember that 3.5-4.0/RedDot/158 SWC worked well in snubbies & 4" barreled .38s, without straining anything.

I DO recall, clearly, that my 5.0/RedDot/158 gr. LSWC/RNFP load in .38 Special cases never failed to exceed 1000 f/s (nor make my firing hand hurt) in any snubby with a 2" or longer barrel. In fact, the velocity was high enough from my 3" S&W M36 that I dropped the charge weight by one or two tenths of a grain, to go easier on my revolver AND my hand. Now I caution that this is a load which exceeds SAAMI specs for the .38 Special, and should only be used in modern guns with steel frames, and only for situations in which life hangs in the balance. It REALLY should only be used in revolvers chambered for .357 Magnum, but I relate the data for the purpose of equipping owners who are constrained to the use of .38 Spl. snubbies with a load significantly elevates the probability of a one-shot stop with an "A-Zone" hit.

On another note, I'm a HUGE fan of Unique, but it, too, can generate significant muzzle flash, even from 5" .45 ACP barrels. When using Unique, max or near-max loads, bullets over 150 gr. in weight, and heavy crimps are your friend. Unique isn't slow-burning enough to REQUIRE the use of magnum pistol primers, but their use often HELPS. Just watch your pressures with max/near-max loads.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I carry the same gun, and I load Unique under a 150’ish grain SWC. My load for my bullet in my gun is 5.0gr Unique, firm crimp, and that same SWC cast fairly soft (10-12 BNH).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    My Alliant BlueDot data says 6.3 for the 158 LSWC, 38 Special +P. The burn might cleanup with more pressure, or a magnum primer.
    I actually was using a magnum primer in this load. I went light on the charge as a veteran reloader told me to be careful about "spiking" the pressure..appreciate your input though.

Boolit Master

A lot of different things will work but it is hard to beat a 150 to 165gr swc on top of a nice round number of 5gr Unique. The first two years I reloaded in the 70s, fresh out of the Navy, that is all I used. Lyman 45th and a pound of Unique it was a good choice...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12