RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in hell?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by a danl View Post
    the bible tells us what hell is like. just read your bible, it's in there. noone should ever have to go there because it will never end.
    I don't believe everything in the bible. I know what it says. You have to take it with a healthy dose of salt.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I don't believe everything in the bible. I know what it says. You have to take it with a healthy dose of salt.

Tim
    i disagree, you either believe it or you don't. and if you don't that makes you an unbeliever and that's not good. i would not want to die in that condition.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    When it comes to the fate of the unsaved, the careful student should forget everything they think they know and study the Bible passages that deal with the issue. The idea that the lost are tormented for all eternity does not have much biblical support. The natural reading of these passages (keeping in mind Jesus' use of highly symbolic imagery) leads one to believe that the lost are punished for their sins and then annihilated. They cease to exist.
    i will reply with a verse. proverbs 3:5 trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.

Boolit Master
    i disagree, you either believe it or you don't. and if you don't that makes you an unbeliever and that's not good. i would not want to die in that condition.
    I believe in God the creator of all that is. There is but one God. I believe just not in the Bible.

Tim

Boolit Master

i will reply with a verse. proverbs 3:5 trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
    I have no idea why you posted this. Do you want to clarify?

Boolit Buddy

Trying to sumarize the posts here, I think there is a pattern.

1. The Bible says there is a hell.
    2. People say there is not.
    3. people say there is but it is temporary and not eternal. (Pergatory?)
    4. When you die, that is the end. There is nothing after that.

So, who of us is fully prepared for any of those scenarios when we, "shuffle off this mortal coil"? That is the "what if" scenario that all mankind struggles with and it is good that we discuss the issue. I think there is a saying along the lines of, "I know there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell."

God sent His Son to seek and save the lost. Christianity is the one unique faith among all religions. You cannot earn salvation of your soul. No pennance, no duty, no traveling to holy sites, no being good or anything else to "do" to earn salvation. It is "done" by Jesus Christ when he suffered the penalty we deserve for our sins through His death on a cross. His blood has washed away the sins of all who believe Him. Salvation of your soul is His free gift to you. Put your faith in Him and you won't need to worry about the details.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Amen, good post.

Boolit Master
    I believe in God the creator of all that is. There is but one God. I believe just not in the Bible.

Tim
    If you don't believe in the God of the Bible then which god are you believing in ?

Boolit Master
    Can you actually tell someone their kind old grandmother is being tortured for eternity in Hell because she was a non-believer? You really think God is like that?
    Your question is poorly phrased. We are not puppets; I really think God loves us enough to grant us the privilege of making our own choices. For eternity, there are only two options; if we reject God, he isn't going to over-ride our decision and make us go where we really didn't want to go.

The doctrines of hell's fires are poorly taught; not all who go hell will spend eternity on a BBQ spit. Fact is, the lives of the lost will be judged fairly and their punishments will precisely match the harm of their sins. But, at it's best, hell will be a hell of a place and that's why we Christians try as best we can to get the lost to open their eyes and see. (Satan hates that so he prompts hell bound sinners to resist and resent our best efforts.)

I would never tell anyone else where a good ol' granny who wasn't a follower of the Lord - has gone. Fact is, none of us really knows where their granny is going because that's between them and God. That's what I tell people who ask; then I try to get them to grasp the spiritual truth for themselves.

Life is real, it's not a pretend place where man can safely pick and choose what he likes from the huge buffet of other lost men's lofty ideas. The Bible is what God has given us to know him. If we say we "believe in a god" but reject the God of the Bible we cut the only secure anchor line that can hold us safe in the rocky shoals and storms of life. Choose what you "believe" wisely.

Boolit Master
    Can you actually tell someone their kind old grandmother is being tortured for eternity in Hell because she was a non-believer? You really think God is like that?
    Parson is right and your question is poorly phrased.

We are not puppets; I really think God loves us enough to grant us the privilege of making our own choices. For eternity, there are only two options; if we reject God, he isn't going to over-ride our decision and make us go where we really didn't want to go.

The doctrines of hell's fires are poorly taught; not all who go hell will spend eternity on a BBQ spit. Fact is, the lives of the lost will be judged fairly and their punishments will precisely match the harm of their sins. But, at it's best, hell will be a hell of a place and that's why we Christians try as best we can to get the lost to open their eyes and see. (Satan hates that so he prompts hell bound sinners to resist and resent our best efforts.)

I would never tell anyone else where a good ol' granny who wasn't a follower of the Lord - has gone. Fact is, none of us really knows where their granny is going because that's between them and God. That's what I tell people who ask; then I try to get them to grasp the spiritual truth for themselves.

Life is real, it's not a pretend place where man can safely pick and choose what he likes from the huge buffet of other lost men's lofty ideas. The Bible is what God has given us to know him. If we say we "believe in a god" but reject the God of the Bible we cut the only secure anchor line that can hold us safe in the rocky shoals and storms of life. Choose what you "believe" wisely.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Parson is right and your question is poorly phrased.

We are not puppets; I really think God loves us enough to grant us the privilege of making our own choices. For eternity, there are only two options; if we reject God, he isn't going to over-ride our decision and make us go where we really didn't want to go.

I don't know who Parson is.

It sounds like the hell that you believe in is so objectionable that you will not subject those who ask to its "realities"--unless we're talking hypothetical. Why not give an honest assessment in accordance with your understanding? Why water the whole thing down?

Why not say, "If you grandmother died without Jesus, she has a terrible eternity ahead of her. She might not be standing in the fire, but her situation is not good!"

Annihilation is a message of peace. It is not a perfect outcome for a human being, but the sinner will be rescued from the torment of a sinful life and sinful environment. This is done because God loves people.

I'll ask again, have you studied this subject with an open mind or are you falling back on what you've always been taught?

Has it never bothered you that God told Adam and Eve, "The day you eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge you will certainly die," but left out the part about eternal torment in hell?
    Last edited by Ickisrulz; 09-11-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have no idea why you posted this. Do you want to clarify?
    tim, he is leaning on his own understanding of what he alone thinks is the way of salvation. he doesn't believe the truth about what the bible says. i'm sorry for the mislead, it was supposed to have been directed to tim. i understand why you asked me the question.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Stick View Post
    Trying to sumarize the posts here, I think there is a pattern.

1. The Bible says there is a hell.
    2. People say there is not.
    3. people say there is but it is temporary and not eternal. (Pergatory?)
    4. When you die, that is the end. There is nothing after that.

So, who of us is fully prepared for any of those scenarios when we, "shuffle off this mortal coil"? That is the "what if" scenario that all mankind struggles with and it is good that we discuss the issue. I think there is a saying along the lines of, "I know there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell."

God sent His Son to seek and save the lost. Christianity is the one unique faith among all religions. You cannot earn salvation of your soul. No pennance, no duty, no traveling to holy sites, no being good or anything else to "do" to earn salvation. It is "done" by Jesus Christ when he suffered the penalty we deserve for our sins through His death on a cross. His blood has washed away the sins of all who believe Him. Salvation of your soul is His free gift to you. Put your faith in Him and you won't need to worry about the details.
    as i said earlier, if people would read the bible they would get their answers. the problem is that they keep questioning god and what the bible says. we don't question god,
    we just have to obey. he is our creator and we are the created. it's like he is the potter and we are the clay. does the clay question the potter about anything? no , the potter makes whatever he wants out of the clay.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes. All that's available is jacketed bullets. No Powder & Primers. Pure Hell!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Your question is poorly phrased. We are not puppets; I really think God loves us enough to grant us the privilege of making our own choices. For eternity, there are only two options; if we reject God, he isn't going to over-ride our decision and make us go where we really didn't want to go.

amen, good response ..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    If you don't believe in the God of the Bible then which god are you believing in ?
    God is not of some book. God is and people make up stories about God and write books.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Didja ever read it?
    Didja ever attend a Wednesday night and pray?
    Didja ever see prayer answered?
    I have.
    Faith is not complicated.
    Faith is easy.
    Faith is a choice.
    Live shut into your world
    worshipping yourself
    or live in God's world
    and thank Him.
    Serve Him.
    Hell is a choice. Choose well.
    "For me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
    said Joshua
    In honor of the day, dig out
    Isaiah 9:11 and 10...
    Rezim was the king of syria
    who were his enemies? The arabs.
    The sycamores survived 9/11 and protected that church
    the church where Washington consecrated America
    across the street from ground zero
    Washington declared a covenant
    with God there that day 1792.
    We forgot. God doesn't forget.
    We dug up the sycamores, planted pine trees.
    I like Psalm 19:11 better...
    Choose well.
    To fail to choose is a choice, too.

Banned
    If there is a hell, there has to be a road that leads there. Better check the ground under your feet, gentlemen, for good intentions.
    R/Griff

Boolit Buddy

God is not of some book. God is and people make up stories about God and write books.

Tim
    "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," - 2 Timothy 3:16
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I don't know who Parson is.
    Parson is a guy who addressed the question a few posts back.

It sounds like the hell that you believe in is so objectionable that you will not subject those who ask to its "realities"--unless we're talking hypothetical. Why not give an honest assessment in accordance with your understanding? Why water the whole thing down?
    Going to the core of your question, there is a vast difference between "watering down" the realities of hell and deliberately causing unnecessary and pointless grief in remaining loved ones; jamming the total truth down grieving throats would be emotional cruelty without purpose and I, for one, don't feel like doing that.

Why not say, "If you grandmother died without Jesus, she has a terrible eternity ahead of her. She might not be standing in the fire, but her situation is not good!"
    Now, that's a "lovingly" cruel approach, isn't it? Truth is, I have no way of knowing what spiritual state of heart granny was in when she exhaled her last breath. Nor do you. And my loving ol' grandpa once told me that if what I'd like to say is harmful instead of helpful to just keep my mouth shut. I try. (I wish more people would live that way.)

Annihilation is a message of peace. It is not a perfect outcome for a human being, but the sinner will be rescued from the torment of a sinful life and sinful environment. This is done because God loves people.
    Nonsense. Annihilation is hardly a message of peace. It has been a message of emotional terror since the dawn of time, way before there was any knowledge of an eternal hell.

You're more studious and innerlecshal than me so you'll have to tell me how a dying unbeliever would be afraid of a hell. That would require that he believe in something he doesn't believe in; how would that work??

In God's love, he has explained in detail how to avoid hell and then He - in the person of Jesus - paid the penalty for our sins himself so man will never need to face it.

Salvation is simple to understand and easy to do. I can't fathom how/why so many people (who know better) still reject the present joys of a well lived Christian life, and that's before heaven comes into play.

I'll ask again, have you studied this subject with an open mind or are you falling back on what you've always been taught?
    I suspect I've spent much more time studying the coming life in heaven and hell than you. And I know there's a vast difference between having an open mind or an extra hole in the head.

Has it never bothered you that God told Adam and Eve, "The day you eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge you will certainly die," but left out the part about eternal torment in hell?
    "Has it never ....?" Not for a moment; why should it?

You're stewing over gauzy things that make no difference. Do you not think God and Adam had a lot more conversation than the very brief condensation recorded in Genesis?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast