Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in hell?

Boolit Master

Do you believe in hell?

Do you believe in a literal hell?

Is the idea of hell a biblical concept?

Is the idea of hell as an actual place discussed in the New Testament? How about the Old Testament?

Would a loving God send anyone to hell?

Did Jesus talk about hell?

What do you think?

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    I beleive in the bible....I go by what the bible says....

see> https://www.biblestudytools.com/topi...-bible-verses/

Revelation 21:8
    8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Revelation 20:13-14
    13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.

Matthew 10:28
    28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Boolit Buddy

Yes. God does not desire that anyone go there but that all would receive his free gift of salvation that is in Christ alone.

Luke 16:19-31
    New International Version
    The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post

What do you think?
    God made heaven for his own children (John 3:16) and hell for those who reject him (John 3:17, 18). Therefore, it's clear that he doesn't make that decision, we do. Why would a loving God make mindless sock puppets of us and deny us the right to make our own choices?

Jesus spoke more about hell than heaven.

What I "think" about it hardly matters; HE is God, not me!

Boolit Master

I don't think you can believe in one and not the other.

For anyone who is so steeped in evil that they refuse to repent of their sins. There dang well better be a hell.

For many years I did not really believe in it as a physical place. I do now.

I also think a lot of people carry their own version of it along with themselves.
    They somehow can not admit that the choices they made resulted in where they are. So they prefer to blame others. And we all know misery loves company.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Is the idea of hell as an actual place discussed in the New Testament? How about the Old Testament?

What do you think?

exile
    Since you brought it up, what do you believe.

Boolit Master

Nah, this is a human concept.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Yes, there is a literal hell

It is a bible concept....the greek uses the word "hades" & "sheol" for hell..

In the King James Bible, the Old Testament term Sheol is translated as "Hell" 31 times, and it is translated as "the grave" 31 times. Sheol is also translated as "the pit" three times.

God doesn't want any to perish...He wants us to choose life, but the choice is ours.

Yes, Jesus mentioned it...

In Matthew 13:42, Jesus says: "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Hell is the second death...all those that reject Jesus will face that fate.

What do you think?

exile

Boolit Master

When it comes to the fate of the unsaved, the careful student should forget everything they think they know and study the Bible passages that deal with the issue. The idea that the lost are tormented for all eternity does not have much biblical support. The natural reading of these passages (keeping in mind Jesus' use of highly symbolic imagery) leads one to believe that the lost are punished for their sins and then annihilated. They cease to exist.

Boolit Master
    I believe Hell is a choice we can make, or not.
    Deceiver has only one lie "Did God really say...?"
    And we reply "Why would God allow...?"
    If I were God I wouldn't do that.
    But I'm not. He Is.
    Choose well.
    Choose life.

Boolit Buddy

The question of the existence of hades is often debated. But we need to ask ourselves what will become of us if it does exist. If it doesn’t exist, then no problem. But if it does exist, we have a problem.

Is eternity the same for Mother Teresa and Adolph Hitler? Is it the same for Joseph Stalin and Billy Graham? Where’s the dividing line? The dividing line is Jesus Christ. What about you and I? We All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Hell and death will be cast into the lake of fire. It is a place that a righteous and holy God prepared for his enemy, the devil and his angels. The smoke of their torment will rise forever.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    Thunder Stick,

My understanding is that if Hitler truly accepted Jesus before he died, he is saved, and lives eternity with the Lord. It seems unfair to me, but I am not God. BTW a friend suggested I read the book the Shack and it seemed a man who had murdered a small child was going to be saved...God asked the father of the murdered child to forgive the murderer.

I struggle with the concept of "judgment" as well. If a person has accepted Jesus as his savior, that person goes to Heaven...what is being judged???
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I struggle with the concept of "judgment" as well. If a person has accepted Jesus as his savior, that person goes to Heaven...what is being judged???
    There is the judgement of the lost; those who died without having Christ as their savior. The only outcome of people facing this judgement is condemnation.

Then there is a different judgement of believers to determine if they deserve rewards. These people will not be condemned, but may not receive rewards if their faithfulness was limited.

Boolit Master
    HELL YES I do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    When it comes to the fate of the unsaved, the careful student should forget everything they think they know and study the Bible passages that deal with the issue. The idea that the lost are tormented for all eternity does not have much biblical support. The natural reading of these passages (keeping in mind Jesus' use of highly symbolic imagery) leads one to believe that the lost are punished for their sins and then annihilated. They cease to exist.
    IF anyone studies the scripture in pursuit of understanding it would be impossible to honestly draw the conclusions you suggest; to get there they would have to start with a fixed belief and ignore everything that counters what you are determined to not see.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    IF anyone studies the scripture in pursuit of understanding it would be impossible to honestly draw the conclusions you suggest; to get there they would have to start with a fixed belief and ignore everything that counters what you are determined to not see.
    We've already been down this road before. I know you disagree with me. But to suggest the people that have reached the conclusion I have are not honest...well, that is just ridiculous.

Have you taken a fresh look at the idea of annihilation vs never-ending conscious torment? Or are you just operating on what you have been told from a young age?

I studied the idea of annihilation with great apprehension. I had always believed the (modern) traditional view of hell (this was my fixed belief). But my mind was changed when I looked at all the passages.

My view now is that the teaching of eternal torment is in direct contradiction to the Bible's teaching, contrary to the character of God and an embarrassment to the Church.

Can you actually tell someone their kind old grandmother is being tortured for eternity in Hell because she was a non-believer? You really think God is like that?

Boolit Buddy
    Can you actually tell someone their kind old grandmother is being tortured for eternity in Hell because she was a non-believer? You really think God is like that?[/QUOTE]

If someones kind old grandmother wanted nothing to do with God in this life, He loves her enough that He is not going to force her to spend eternity with Him in the next life and there is only one Other alternative

I'm going to step WAY out on a limb here.

I was worried when my father died. Macualar degeneration, Glaucoma and age had him blind, frail and pretty much only able to yell at mom.
    So for the last 5-6 years of his life that is pretty much what he did. Mom found a place in her head she could go and not hear him, so mostly she went there or slept.

So when Dad died I asked the Lord in Prayer "what is going to happen to my dad?"

And I got an answer back. He is being punished, but he repented before he died. So his punishment will not be that long or that hard.
    He can see now what he was doing was causing pain for mom and the whole family and he is sorry.

Mom followed him some 3 months later. And I got an update. Mom was allowed to visit dad, encourage him, and his time in punishment was shrinking.

Then one night I had watched a movie about a good mother. I was sitting in my chair crying, my wife holding my hand. She knew I was grieving for them both.

Then I swear I felt mom's hand on my left shoulder, and her voice strong and vibrant once again saying "Your doing just fine Bill, just keep on doing it!"
    Then I felt dad's heavier hand on my right shoulder and a very quiet "Love you son"

Then I got a vision, clear as could be. Mom and dad standing behind me, with their hands on my shoulder. And behind them was Jesus with his hands on their shoulders. And I KNEW that all was well, that dad was no longer being punished. That Mom and Dad were together, as they would want to be. And they were both with the Lord, and had his favor to send me this message and vision.

From that day there has been no pain. Yes I miss them both, but when I think of them there is no pain.

Now since that day I have seen, heard or been given anything about them. Perhaps they sleep in the Lord until the last trump sounds.

I can't prove any of this. I'm no preacher, I'm just a poor sinner, one who stumbles, fails and falls daily. But every day I try to do better.

But I swear this happened just the way I described. On my Mother and Fathers grave, on my hope of salvation I swear tis true. Take it as you will.

Do as you will. As for me, well I BELIEVE! The whole Bible, the Virgin Birth, the Resurrection, ALL of it. I BELIEVE.

Revelation 20:11-15;
    20:11 Then I saw a large white throne and the one who was seated on it; the earth and the heaven fled from his presence, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne. Then books were opened, and another book was opened—the book of life. So the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to their deeds. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and Death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each one was judged according to his deeds. 14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death—the lake of fire. 15 If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, that person was thrown into the lake of fire. 21:8 But as for the cowards, unbelievers, detestable persons, murderers, the sexually immoral, and those who practice magic spells, idol worshipers, and all those who lie, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. That is the second death.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    If Biden gets elected....
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast