Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deck finish?

Banned

Deck finish?

The oldest boy and I have been replacing all the planks on the deck on the front of the house the past few days. It needed it, but it was enough trouble and expense that I sure don't want to be doing it again soon. We used treated 2x6" planks, and it looks good, just wondering what the best stuff to use on top of it to weather proof it is.

I know that Thompson's Water seal is good stuff, but it'll need to be painted too. Is paint Ok on top of that stuff and is it really necessary? Whatever I put on it, I want it to seal up and be durable.

Recommendations?

Banned
    I believe you have to allow some time for the pressure-treated wood to cure before you can put anything on it. I wouldn’t paint it, personally. The wood sealant might be your best bet. Several coats is best. Paint probably won’t adhere very well to water-sealed deck boards.
    R/Griff

Banned

Some kind of stain, perhaps?

I have used oil base deck stain on brown tone pressure treated and it works well.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't Thompson make a stain/sealer?

Boolit Master
    Thompson only lasts a couple years if that. We used to use Pentathin (sp) but it's off the market now.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Deck stains look good for a couple of years - then need to be refinished, particularly if not covered by a porch. I rebuilt the back porch 3 years ago after an Ice Dam fell and broke the 50X14 deck down the length. I extended the roof to cover the entire deck, and then stained the new deck a Forest Green. After 3 years, needs a new deck stain job. The need for a new deck stain job would be less apparent had I used a more wood neutral tone or brown/reddish color. I did not use treated wood as the deck was totally covered now, but I like the green color so will continue to Re-Stain every 3 or so years if needed.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 09-07-2020 at 01:42 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Painters that go behind me use Behr that they buy at Home Depot. If you wait to stain, then you have to clean the surface to apply. You have to reapply every couple years. Paint is slick when wet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    I have used oil base deck stain on brown tone pressure treated and it works well.
    Do you have a brand name and place that sells it?

Boolit Master
    There is a product called Behr Deck-Over. The wood needs to be dry and seasoned for it to adhere well.
    I actually used it on the fiberglass deck of my boat. I was impressed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    There is a product called Behr Deck-Over. The wood needs to be dry and seasoned for it to adhere well.
    I actually used it on the fiberglass deck of my boat. I was impressed.
    Thanks. How long are we talking for treated lumber to cure? It's right in direct sun for half the day, starting to cool down, but Kansas still has some brutal hot days left I'm sure.

Boolit Master

Treated lumber often drips water for several weeks to months after one picks it up from the Big Box Lumber stores. If you can feel the end and it seems wet - to is. After 3-6 weeks installed it should have assumed ambient % humidity.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 09-07-2020 at 01:49 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

The company that makes what I use is called Sikkens, Cabot is also a good choice. Go to a contractor paint supply store. They will have a better product than your local home improvement store.

Boolit Grand Master

Typically wait six months for fresh pressure treated wood to dry before you cover. It doesn't have to be completely dried through but the surface needs to be very dry and the inner drying pressure low enough that it doesn't lift the surface finish. Thompson's Water Seal is basically a wax coat that will wear off. Use a deck stain.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    sherwin williams deck paint and sealer,rot and mold resistant,many colors to choose from

Rich: I built and finished a lot of decks in my years as a carpenter and I hope to steer you away from Thompson's Water Seal. I've never seen it protect much (Just my opinion of course) If you can find it in your area there's a product called Sun Frog that is excellent and can be had in clear, cedar or redwood oil base stain. It will last years. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

We've used Flood CWF UV on the deck at camp for 20yrs and started using it on the log sided camp itself. Wears great and the deck is still good after 3ft of snow in the winter. We do the deck every couple of years but the siding lasts 5 or more. Comes clear, cedar and redwood I think
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    We've used Flood CWF UV on the deck at camp for 20yrs and started using it on the log sided camp itself. Wears great and the deck is still good after 3ft of snow in the winter. We do the deck every couple of years but the siding lasts 5 or more. Comes clear, cedar and redwood I think
    I'll second Flood. It's on my pine-sided house, two porches and one deck. I spray it and back-brush it, one coat, and would agree with JonP. Every couple years for exposed deck. Every 5-6 for the house.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderator Emeritus

If you like blackish-grey for a color, here is what I do, and it's so easy.

Let the wood weather/age for a year.
    Then coat it with boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits (50-50) on a hot day.
    Repeat once a year.
    It's easy to apply, like brushing on water.
    No need to clean the wood, leave all that good blackish grey patina alone, just coat with the thinned linseed oil.

In 1994, I built a small deck and steps from rough cut Oak for the Minnesota house I still live in. That lasted until 2019, the top boards were still good, but the foundation, which was sitting on dirt, rotted out. So, in 2019, I rebuilt it, reusing the top boards, because they were still in excellent condition, but I changed the design, so it's more like long, wide steps, instead of a small Deck.

The image is from 2019, right after I completed the rebuild and coated the underside with the tinned linseed oil, but hadn't coated the top side yet, so you can see the aged look...and a several areas the thinned linseed oil flowed to the top.

Attachment 267395
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Solid stain will last much longer than the transparent stain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast