Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: It Was A GREAT Year For Basil!

Vendor Sponsor

It Was A GREAT Year For Basil!

I built a new raised bed this year, filled it in with 3" of rock and cement dust in the bottom to keep the voles from tunneling, then 6" of composted leaf mulch, 4" of raised bed soil anf finally 4" of potting mix, the whole time I shoveled in a few bags of Black Kow composted manure into each layer until I got it full, Oh man! The tomatoes and basil TOOK OFF!! I have been harvesting basil leaves and making a lot of pesto. I had ran out and wanted enough to last a couple of years but sheesh! I bet we put 8 pounds of pesto in the freezer!

I had enough basil to experiment with some cheeses, and you want some really aromatic and strong flavored aged hard cheese for pesto. I hunted around and found some Cantal which is a French cheddar, made some with this cheese and used roasted salted pistachios for the nuts. VERY flavorful and aromatic pesto yep!!

Next batch I found some Comte, another French cheese that is aged, also got some Pecorino Toscano, and some Reggianito which is Argentine parmesan. All these make good pesto, and for nuts I used pine nuts and walnuts, next batch I will try some Macadamia nuts.

This is my recipe, you can use any aged hard cheese, and basically any nut will work but I try to stick to the light colored soft, buttery flavored variety like pine nuts, walnuts, these two are probably the most used nuts in making pesto. This recipe is for a full size food processor.

Revised Basic Basil Pesto

Ingredients
    • 2 ½ - 3 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
    • 1 cup freshly grated Cantal cheese (2.8oz)
    • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 cup pine nuts or walnuts
    • 5-6 garlic cloves, coarse chopped
    • 1/3 teaspoon salt, more to taste
    • 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more to taste

Pulse basil and nuts, add garlic and cheese, pulse several more times, scrape down sides, add salt and pepper, stream in olive oil, makes 15oz. Pesto.

To use the pesto, make a pot of pasta noodles, drain water off, stir in a big tablespoon of pesto and stir until well dispersed. Serve as a bedding underneath fried or broiled fish, fried softshell crab (my FAVORITE!) you can also use it under fried eggplant topped with some mozzarella and fresh basil.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the recipe, the wife and I make a Basil pesto flatbread and this recipe will come in handy.

Boolit Master

We've had a great basil year here too. My wife likes to use lightly toasted pecans instead of pine nuts. The pecans are so much cheaper. She has also made batches using toasted cashews and toasted hazel nuts. We use the stuff as a spread on sandwiches, dip for French fries instead of catsup, or as a bit of topping on just about anything. - not to mention pasta. You can also make it without the cheese - just use a bit more garlic for flavor. It was a great garlic harvest this year too.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    A little fresh basil and maybe some dill in the pan with sauted? zucchini will make your mouth water.

Boolit Buddy
    Pesto! I'd like to add I toast the walnuts lightly. That adds flavor. I used to use roasted pine nuts but found walnuts seem just as good.

Moderator Emeritus

Need to pick a bunch of basil and dehydrate it... mine didn't do very well, I need to add more potting soil and fertilizer to my cut in half 55 gallon white plastic barrels I use for raised herb beds.

Boolit Grand Master

DougGuy ,
    Thanks for the recipe !
    We have several plants in a bed , let some go to seed and they re-grow new plants every year.
    Usually I cut long stems of leaves and hang them next to the gas water heater to dry .
    Then finely crumble the dried leaves into a large spice jar , for use in cooking . I'm drying my second batch right now .
    But welcome a recipe to use the fresh basil . Easy to grow , easy to harvest but I just don't have many recipes for fresh basil ...so I appreciate any good ones .
    Any more favorites you like , please post them . I've got DG's pesto recipe just need some more ideas on how to use it or what else can you do with fresh basil .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Doug,

I AGREE, I've never had such a stance of Basil in Oklahoma EVER!!
    I've frozen a bunch, had numerous meals of shrimp / scallops etc. with pesto on pasta!!

I'm a VERY happy camper!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1954.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	267726
    Bob

Vendor Sponsor

I made a second round of pesto after posting the first recipe, I used the same recipe but used different cheeses and different nuts..

Pecorino Toscano & Pine Nuts and also a separate batch with Macadamia Nuts

Comte & Pine Nuts and also a separate batch with Walnuts

Reggianito (Argentine Parmesan) & Walnuts

All of these are hard, aromatic and sharp flavored cheeses, they work great in pesto, and any of the "sweet" nut varieties would work, you could use cashews too.

Food should NOT be boring! I was glad to experiment with different flavors in pesto, we will enjoy the fruits of this year's garden for a few years before having to make more pesto..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.