Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Scandium J-frame durability with magnum loads

Boolit Master

S&W Scandium J-frame durability with magnum loads

A friend has a new revolver, a Model 360 I think. It's a lightweight, scandium frame 5-shot .357 Magnum revolver.

He wants to reload for it, and he thinks he wants to shoot large quantities of full magnum loads in it. Given the historical durability issues with K-frame S&W revolver and .357 magnum ammo, I have to wonder how these little alloy J-frames can hold up.

It seems that they are really intended (as a pocket gun) for occasional use, and not really high volume shooting or competition. I wonder what this little revolver will look like after a thousand rounds of magnum ammo. Any ideas?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Posting this again so that you don't have to search the archives.

Attachment 267351

The S&W 340PD pictured is a .357 J-frame. During annual requal cop fired 5 rds of 38 +P 135 gr HP Gold Dot SB. Chunk that came off hit the instructor running the course (no injury). Low round count, just carried a lot in an ankle rig. It continued to run after the chunk came off (round 2 or 3 of 5) as the shooter did not notice it.

Apparent stress corrosion cracking initiated by notch sensitivity. The failure crack most likely originated from a tool mark left over from broaching the cylinder recess in the frame. S&W would be well advised to increase the filet radius as well as improving surface finish in the filet and/or shot peening. Looking at the brown stain adjacent fracture looks familiar, this appears to have been working a while and picked this time to let go.

A cop-armorer friend in SoCal had to send 2 or 3 standard aluminum J frames (642/442) back to S&W that cracked the frame at 6 O’Clock below the forcing cone. S&W said that happens sometimes from hoop stress transferred through the aluminum when the machine screws on the barrel or when they thread the frame for the barrel. They replaced the entire gun each time.

The so-called S&W "lifetime warranty" has its limitations. The same now-retired LE armorer bought himself a retirement-gift all steel 640 and the “hammer stud” broke off flush with the frame with a few hundred rounds on board. From the gitgo dry firing it did not feel quite right, but was still working as the side plate kind of holds the stud (pin) in place...When he popped off the side plate he saw the internal parts slightly shifted...well that’s not normal.

Attachment 267352 Scandium Night-Guard KaBoom

For a number of reasons I won’t get into S&W needed to replace the frame (they can’t repair aluminum frames so those are replaced when this happens) they sent him a bill for $145 even though they said it had nothing to do with anything he had done. I had to get the local S&W LE rep involved and even he could not explain why this fell outside the normal “lifetime” warranty. Somehow he eventually made the bill go away. Those without a badge or retired credential probably won't be as lucky.

A broken hammer stud is becoming more common with the shift to MIM. Especially on the N frames. Machinist buddy fixes a lot of them because guys don’t want to wait 30-60 days for S&W “service”. As for screwing on barrels, they sure torque'em on tight. Forcing cone constriction has been a problem with the late production guns I’ve inspected. It's usually $100 gunsmith fix to set back and refit, but shouldn’t be necessary if they fitted correctly just cut a UNF-Class 2A thread, not a 3A, then just screw it in correctly and pin it, Like they did in the old days. One of many reasons I prefer the older revolvers. That stud as now manufactured is now a MIM part press fit into a slightly raised collar instead of being screwed into the frame. The repair is to drill it out and then tap thread the frame and install a new stud the old fashioned way.

Reinforces my gut instinct that "an old gun that works is worth more than a new gun that doesn't."

None of my older (1970s) S&W Model 12 Airweight M&P .38 Specials have failed firing standard pressure (NOT +P!) loads.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Why?, it’s a lightweight self defense revolver built to be carried a lot but shot a little, imo. I guess it could be but why beat the gun up or your hand and wrist. I worked with several guys over the years who had to deal with carpel tunnel issues, a very painful disabilitating condition. He needs a 2 inch s/s K frame if he wants a pocket .357. You don’t gain much velocity anyway shooting a magnum out of a snubnose as the bbl is so short. My .38 scandium j frame is loaded with hornady critical defense +P ammo which is plenty for me.

Boolit Master

Firing several hundred rounds in a scandium frame .357Mag, seems like an exercise in masochism.
    I fired a M60 in .357Mag when they first came out. Actually fired 2 rounds.
    Never again.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Some have had problems and others never have an issue. The only thing you can hope for is if it has a catastrophic failure you will still have all your appendages to call the factory and utilize the lifetime warranty.

I own the 340PD and love it. I will continue to trust it, because I’ve seen numerous other types of guns fail that are not scandium.

Practice with the M60. Carry the 337PD. Both in 38 Special. The 38 +P ammo in a 10 oz gun is all the recoil anyone may want ?

The titanium cylinder can have issues also.

Boolit Buddy
    His hand will probably quit before the gun does.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 360 scandium Smith in 357 mag. It is a fine carry gun and plenty accurate. Several have tried it out with 38 spl wadcutters ( 2.7 grns bullseye) 38 spl std 38 spl plus P ( most stop here) and a few with 357 mag ( I normally have a box of the speer short barrel load in the pistol box) none have fired more than 2 rounds before stopping. Im one who stopped at 38 +p 135 grn loads, .

At the light weight of 12 ounces even the light bullseye wadcutter load is a handfull for most. recoil is violently quick and sharp.

Its a great carry gun and mine rides in a suit coat pocket or clipped in my jeans with a set of hip grips.

The most comfortable load Ive shot in it is a 5/8" long wax bullet with a large pistol primer for power. This is comfortable to shoot and very accurate.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    His hand will probably quit before the gun does.
    You betcha!
    They are CC pistols not shooting pistols! Not at all fun to shoot until it is necessary!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I practice with my 442 almost ever week. I carry Federal 130 grain HSTs 38 SPL +Ps, which are the best ammo you can put in a airlight or airweight J-frame whether 357 or 38 rated. Low recoil, accurate, and the best gel performance there is. I've done a lot of testing myself and it even defeats barriers well...a steel cookie sheet and plywood and it still went 9 inches and expanded over a half-inch.

I duplicated that load with a 130 grain Lee RNFP bullet to shot same POI at 21 feet. Can't really afford to practice with $1/round ammo. Literally thousands of rounds in an no trouble other than a filthy revolver. I only shoot 25 rounds in a session and always check to see if any lead accumulates in the forcing cone, throats, and then clean it if some does.

One of the great things about a common $350 revolver is that I don't mind so much if I ruin it. I would feel very differntly about the scandies which cost twice that, though I do like that they have pinned front sights. I always carry a flashlight and practice with it (even during the day sometimes). I think a bump-n-trough and flashlight beats any fancy night sight as long as the sight IS BLACK. The 442 and 340s don't have this problem, but it is hard to see the 642s/638s with intense light overhead.

The late Steve Camp wrote a good book on these revolvers if you want to read it. His wife still sells it. His newspaper ballistic testing is next to worthless IMO but everything else in the book is sound advice.
    Last edited by curioushooter; 09-11-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Firing several hundred rounds in a scandium frame .357Mag, seems like an exercise in masochism.
    I fired a M60 in .357Mag when they first came out. Actually fired 2 rounds.
    Never again.
    I have this little fire breathing dragon. It's a heavyweight in comparison to the Scandium versions but it still is impressive from the back end. I shoot a medium level 357 load with a 158 grain MP Hammer GCHP at 1050 fps. Not fun exactly, but accurate and controllable. The Federal 125 JHP Magnum load is something I've fired a cylinder full and called it good. I did keep it loaded with them for years, but it was not fun and not controllable.

I can't imagine shooting what the OP described often. If nothing else he could start forest fires with the muzzle blast and the wicked flinch could be a conversation starter.

It's not just the S&Ws in light 357s that will beat you up. S.I.L and I took my daughters Ruger LCR carry gun to the range with some full tilt 357 ammo. 10gr. Blue Dot under 158gr. SWC Didn't take long to get tired of that. LOL Gp

I'd never buy one new...you can get a great deal on used ones that have only had a cylinder full of 357 Mag through them.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    I'd never buy one new...you can get a great deal on used ones that have only had a cylinder full of 357 Mag through them.
    Kinda like a Freedom Arms 83 in 454. Great idea at the time, but turn it loose and....

When Taurus brought out the first snub .357, a friend bought one. I shot 5 158gr Remington .357s through it. He asked me what I thought, and I told the truth. My opinion then and now is that you need additional power for self defense, get a 4” full size revolver rather than a marketing ploy. IMO, .38 Special, 9mm, .32 Magnum and ilk are THE effective snub nose rounds because they are shootable for good hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    When Taurus brought out the first snub .357, a friend bought one. I shot 5 158gr Remington .357s through it. He asked me what I thought, and I told the truth. My opinion then and now is that you need additional power for self defense, get a 4” full size revolver rather than a marketing ploy. IMO, .38 Special, 9mm, .32 Magnum and ilk are THE effective snub nose rounds because they are shootable for good hits.
    I agree. For a carry gun don't over do it. In a defensive situation you aren't likely coming up against a brown bear or bull moose at least not in the city limits. Bad guys are pretty thin skinned as critters go. I don't feel under gunned with my 32 H&R snubbie or my 380 LCP and either carries so comfortably that they are almost forgotten. Gp

Boolit Master
    I have a 3" model 60 pro series. 125 gr. hp loads are not punishing with it but I only shot 5 rds. of that. It gets hbwc or lswc over a reasonable load of bullseye. Why beat up a small snubbie with magnum loads? I had a 3" SP 101 that could handle magnum loads all day. Buying a new revolver these days is a crap shoot. I have recently purchased 3 revolvers and the newest one was born in 1987, the oldest in 1956. That model 60 is the only one newer than 30 years old. It's got a great action and shoots good. Hope it lasts.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    This is exactly how I got my M&P340...it also came with a couple of partially full boxes of ammo.

Boolit Man
    I have a Scandium/ Titanium 340 SC. This is a good reminder never to use .357 ammo in it. Currently mine is loaded with the "FBI Load".38 Special +P 158 grain SWCHP.

I also a a L frame 386 Mountain Lite Scandium /Titanium. It has done well for me with .357 ammunition. Snappy, but not punishing recoil with the Pachymyer Sorbothane grips. I think I will greatly limit full power .357 magnum use in this revolver in the future.At 18 ounces unloaded, it is great to carry. I don't want to wear it out.

Boolit Master
    My sweet wife once bought me one of the fancy briefcase hardcase 3"396s for my birthday. I have shot two full cylinders of a friend's .50 S&W mag loaded with factory 420 grain lead flatnose boolits and it was very manageable compared to the 396 shooting factory Gold Dot HPs. A year or so later I quietly got rid of it in a trade and it's one that I'll never miss. I'm working up some moderately loaded .44 Special full wadcutters for my to Charter Arms .44s and I'll call it good. Oh, I do have one of the Pro Series 640s with front and rear night sites and a Crimson Trace laser (traded for it that way). I've shot full power .357s in it, but carry Rem .38 110 grain +P HPs in it. It's pretty handy with the moon clips and much more comfortable. I may work up some of the full wadcutter .357 loads that have been discussed here lately that are loaded moderately. GF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast