Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine

Boolit Master

There’s a guy on YouTube (Tnoutdoors9) with a video shooting an iron-sighted 43 Inland from a bench rest at an 18” x 24” plate, 300 yards out. Surprised at some of the accuracy he achieved. I’ve never tried mine for accuracy past 100 yards but have taken two deer with it, one at 45 paces, the other at 74 paces. Neither went 20 feet after hit.
    BTW my paces average 3 feet.
    M1 carbines sure went up in price the past year. At 30-plus cents a round on sale I don’t see surplus ammo as being cheap. Glad I roll my own.

Quote Originally Posted by gunauthor View Post
    And, the icing on the cake is that it is truly a WEAPON OF WAR. Tell that to any snowflakes you know.....
    No, it's just a nice wood and steel sportsman's rifle, can take 5 round magazines, and doesn't look like an evil black rifle. No nasty features like threaded barrels or vertical pistol grips. Let it lie out of the snowflake's sight. lol

Love my Underwood, can't be bad, was made by a typewriter company.

I’ve had two Ruger .44 carbines, I’ve had two M1 Carbines. On a good day either of the Rugers would put three bullets into a soccer ball sized group at 100 yards from a steady rest. My Winchester and Howa .30 carbines would put 15 rounds into a tennis ball sized group at 100 yards from a jacket on a truck hood. 50 yards and under, the roaring Ruger was great on white tails but my SBH easily out shot the “10-22s on steroids”!

I never knew what the twist was on the ruger but it seemed to have pretty good groups.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy
    I have a postal meter m1 carbine, and it is one of the most fun guns to shoot I own. I don't shoot iron sights well at my age, but can shoot the carbine pretty well. in addition to the gi mags, I have a bunch of the Korean ones, and they work really well, and are priced good.
    Barry

Boolit Master
    best part is they make a full auto in 2sec and remove and put in pocket
    bit hard to hold down on full ,but fun till ammo runs out

Boolit Master
    just remember that there are PEOPLE WHO WOULD KICK, IF YOU HUNG THEM WITH A BRAND NEW PIECE OF ROPE!!

Boolit Master
    some people would puke on anything, no mater what! just the nature of the beast. go with your gut feeling.it is usually rite!

Just FYI-- there are a whole bunch of genuine WW II vintage M1 Carbines about to come on the market as imported from Ethiopia by Royal Tiger Imports. They were given to Ethiopia by the U.S. as military aid after the war, and have been in storage all this time. They are said to be used but serviceable with good bores.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    best part is they make a full auto in 2sec and remove and put in pocket
    bit hard to hold down on full ,but fun till ammo runs out
    Shot a lot of M2 Carbines over the years in SF. With a little practice they are quite controllable if used as intended.....with 2-3 round bursts. I could keep a 3 round burst on an E target at 100 yards and 2 of the 3 on the E target at 150 yards. Even a 30 round [for S&Gs] burst could be kept on the E target at 50 yards. The diminutive M2 carbine proved excellent in CQB with 2-3 round bursts in built up areas or jungles.......can say that with confidence having been there, done that and got the T-shirt.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I've never seen InRange TV, but it sounds like it's someone with a video camera and an opinion, which makes a lot of folks instant ex-spurts.

I'm very new to M1 Carbines and have bought three in less than three months! I enjoy shooting them and do so every chance I get, including tonight when I got home from work! One of the things I enjoy most about them is they (mine at least) shoot cast bullets very well, and bullets cast from the RCBS 30-115-SP mold all but duplicate the military loads trajectory and velocity with loads used with jacketed bullets. And since this is a gas check bullet, I have been able to cast with ACWW and run them near 2000 fps with zero leading.

Accuracy has been pretty decent as well.

I also cast from the Lee 309-113-F mold and while accuracy isn't quite as good, it's still not bad-

Soon, I'm going to buy another of the RCBS 30-115 molds and have it converted to cast HP's.

If I may, all three shoot PPU ammunition and jacketed handloads well-

If you're thinking of getting one, better hurry. Prices have skyrocketed lately.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Great photos and shooting, 35 Whelen. I also have two carbines made by Standard Products. Fewer of them made than some of the others. M1 Carbines are almost always good cast boolit shooters with the right combination of bullet and load, and the nice thing is that their gas system doesn't foul easily.

When I get to fire guns again, the .30 Carbine will be the first center fire brought out. So much fun to tear up clay birds and dirt clods with 113 Lees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

USMC 77, USRA 79

I also wanna get a HP version of something for my rockola... its never too late for an old dog to learn a new trick I always say...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    M1 Carbine with a red dot is my home defense gun. An old gun dealer I know used one to hunt hogs.
    Nothing wrong with the M1 Carbine.
    Last edited by Sailormilan2; 09-19-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I also wanna get a HP version of something for my rockola... its never too late for an old dog to learn a new trick I always say...
    I'm going to have one of these done. Should feed perfectly.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
    M2 Carbine with a red dot is my home defense gun. An old gun dealer I know used one to hunt hogs.
    Nothing wrong with the M1 Carbine.
    You have an M2 for home defense ? Is there a california version ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    You have an M2 for home defense ? Is there a california version ?
    Oops. Typo. Fixed it. I wish I had an M2.

Boolit Mold

M1 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    USGI in good shape being considered because of the cheap Korean surplus ammo. Wondering if others have found them reliable (rifle and or ammo). People on InrangeTV seem to hate them. Not sure if the potential over penetration is acceptable for my situtation but lots of ammo is available so I wonder. Comments and suggestions most welcome.
    I shot my first deer with my fathers USGI M1 Carbine. It was made by General Motors.

My grandfather hated them in WWII. He said they were not accurate, so he preferred carrying the heavier M1 Garand (Battle of the Bulge and served under Patton).
    Daniel 11:35 and some of the wise shall stumble, so that they may be refined, purified, and made white, until the time of the end, for it still awaits the appointed time.

Boolit Mold
    A shotgun is the best home defense weapon. The sound of chambering a round most often will make the person flee. Put the right shot in it and you will not kill loved ones on the other side of the wall, but will stop an intruder. You also do not need to rely on sites in the dark. Hope that helps.
    Daniel 11:35 and some of the wise shall stumble, so that they may be refined, purified, and made white, until the time of the end, for it still awaits the appointed time.