WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine

Boolit Master

M1 Carbine

USGI in good shape being considered because of the cheap Korean surplus ammo. Wondering if others have found them reliable (rifle and or ammo). People on InrangeTV seem to hate them. Not sure if the potential over penetration is acceptable for my situtation but lots of ammo is available so I wonder. Comments and suggestions most welcome.

If the price is right I'd grab it.

They're fun, cheap to feed, and great to have & teach kids to shoot with.
    It wouldn't be my first choice to hunt with, but they're fine for target shooting and even home defense.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Mom shot her biggest deer with her plainfield .30 carb back in the 80s. Its pretty much a magnum pistol rnd chambered in a lightweight rifle
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy

I've owned several, only have one now, a Winchester. Lots of fun to shoot. Never heard of InrangeTV

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve killed 3 deer with a M1 carbine. As far as the rumors go about them lacking penetration power, I asked a Korean War vet and he told me that he never had a problem and he knew of 10-12 North Koreans who wouldn’t complain. I use the NOE 121-Rn with 2400 powder

Attachment 267370

Boolit Master
    jsm180 where do you live around green swamp

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    With softpoint ammo the .30 M1 carbine is good home and ranch defense and varmint gun.

Attachment 267371Attachment 267372
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Most of a lifetime ago I knew an old guy in his 70s (now I am!) who had arthritis pretty badly. He had an M1 Carbine before it was legal to own them (hadn't yet been released for sale by the Govt.) and used it to get his deer every year. He liked it because he didn't have to work a bolt or lever, which caused pain in his hands, and the recoil wasn't excessive. They can be pretty accurate if in good condition, and a hit in the head or neck will almost certainly drop a deer. I like to think of them as a .357 Mag. equivalent, and lots of guys seem to be hunting with the .357 Mag. lever actions.

I also see the S. Korean surplus ammos for sale, but it doesn't seem cheap to me!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    jsm180 where do you live around green swamp
    North of rockridge and east side of 98

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I also see the S. Korean surplus ammos for sale, but it doesn't seem cheap to me!
    I recently bought a new made carbine by Auto Ordinance, neat little rifle.
    I bought a couple cans of the Korean ammo, like you, it doesn't seem cheap to me either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post
    North of rockridge and east side of 98
    cool the wife and i just moved from socrum loop about 1/2 way between 98 and bethel baptist church

My wife has one. I’ve got my eyes peeled for another. Enough power to stop trouble and everyone in the family can shoot one accurately. Our armed forces used them successfully in three major wars. It sounds to me like that Inrange TV show has an idiot problem
    Joe Cirillo- the VERY experienced gunfighting NYPD Satakeout Squad leader listed the M1 Carbine with 110 hollow points as the #1 fight stopper they used to stop armed robbers from breathing any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Mom shot her biggest deer with her plainfield .30 carb back in the 80s.
    Back then I knew some folks in Louisiana, and it seemed like everybody there hunted with a .30 carbine, or grandpa's .30-30.
    Ranges were fairly close there. When ya got over to the bean fields, then everybody had 7mm or .300WinMags.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Back then I knew some folks in Louisiana, and it seemed like everybody there hunted with a .30 carbine, or grandpa's .30-30.
    Ranges were fairly close there. When ya got over to the bean fields, then everybody had 7mm or .300WinMags.
    Dad gave her the carbine cause for some reason he thought a ruger m44 was to much and got rid of it. She regrets it to this day but now shes got the carbine + 2 44s a henry and a sbh i gave her. If i was her id have shot him with the dang thing
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Hey, Ozark Mike, I had the same experience with the Ruger semi-auto .44 Mag. carbine. One of the most unpleasant guns to shoot I've ever encountered and something of an extra chore to clean. Today, seeing what they sell for, I wish I would have kept it as an investment.

I've been wanting to buy one for quite some time.

Some people hate 'em, though, as you mentioned.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Buddy

Love my M1 carbine, basically use it on paper and to plink. Not super accurate, but would shoot minute of burglar. And, the icing on the cake is that it is truly a WEAPON OF WAR. Tell that to any snowflakes you know.....

Boolit Master
    Biggest deer I have ever killed was with my GI M1 carbine using a reload with a Lyman 311227 round nose boolit. One shot through the neck as he was running straight at me and dead right there. Distance about 15 or 20 yards.

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the most under-rated SD rifles out there IMHO. Light, handy and more than adequate for two legged varmints out to 100 yards.

A lot of women and elderly people cannot rack a semi-pistol slide. The M-1 is easy to operate and has good magazine capacity. Rifles are also easier to make hits with.

I have one and plan on setting it up for home defense and to address coyotes that wander in. But ammo is far from "cheap".
    Don Verna

Super Moderator

I have an Inland that I bought from the CMP back when the Italians returned a bunch of them. It's a great shooter, both with Cast Boolits and jacketed. As stated, it's lightweight and reasonably accurate. Mine is very reliable, and I would trust my life to it in a heartbeat. They are just a barrel of fun at the range too, everyone loves shooting them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast