Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Help identifying a Hollywood press

Help identifying a Hollywood press

Are there any gurus here than can help identify this press?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Identify it as the best press you will have on the bench! It’s a cast iron Hollywood Sr, I have 2, my rockchuckers know are shelf queens. These are ridiculously strong.

Boolit Master

That old worn out ugly thing would look good on my bench!

Nice press! Use it and enjoy it.

Banned
    Hollywood Senior, cast steel frame model, mid range (time) production. They were made from 1953 to 1959-60. There is also an aluminum frame model. The mid way holes in the link arms let you shorten the stroke for swaging. Your shellholder is also Hollywood as is the primer punch.
    I cannot see the top of the press but I am assuming there is not and extra 7/8" x 14 threaded hole in the head. Some of these have it, others do not.

They are nice presses and very smooth to operate though the leverage is considerably less than it's RCBS competitor, the A series presses.

Ken

Yes it does have an additional 7/8 14 hole on top. What is the purpose of the extra hole? Thanks everyone for the info. Would this be an adequate press for swaging?

Banned
    The extra hole is for what ever you want it to be for. Notice that the frame is one solid piece, there is a small cone shaped hole in the top for the tail stock center when the frame is stet into a lathe for machining. Later presses have the 7/8 threaded hole.

Yes, you can swage on it. Hollywood made swaging dies up to 30 caliber that I have seen. I have no knowledge that they made larger dies as 30 caliber would put a lot of stress on the press.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    Those presses have a cult following. don't let anyone know where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    The extra hole is for what ever you want it to be for. Notice that the frame is one solid piece, there is a small cone shaped hole in the top for the tail stock center when the frame is stet into a lathe for machining. Later presses have the 7/8 threaded hole.

Yes, you can swage on it. Hollywood made swaging dies up to 30 caliber that I have seen. I have no knowledge that they made larger dies as 30 caliber would put a lot of stress on the press.
    Ken
    Any idea where I could find the swaging dies?

Hollywood Gun Shop made swaging dies in .357" diameter for sure, since I have them. I'll have to check my other Hollywood swaging dies to see if any of them are bigger than .357" diameter.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    Identify it as the best press you will have on the bench! It’s a cast iron Hollywood Sr, I have 2, my rockchuckers know are shelf queens. These are ridiculously strong.
    I agree that it's the best on the bench as I now have 2, but I thought they were cast steel?

Boolit Buddy

I have two presses just like in the first posting. One is steel, the other aluminum. Is the aluminum press as strong as the steel press for resizing up to 30-06 brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Alas, I only have only one of them, but it is a beast!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice

Boolit Bub
    Excellent and accurate information posted above on this great little press. Here is an ad listing rifle bullet swage dies from 22 to 375, and revolver bullet swage dies in 357, 44, and 45. I have other adds posting more complete caliber lists for swage dies including 8mm, and 9.3mm. You will need to save the image to your computer and enlarge to read. The ad is from 1959.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ad008 1959.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	324095