MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Scope mounts on a Sharps

Boolit Man

Scope mounts on a Sharps

Looking at buying a used sharps rifle that has the scope mounts drilled and tapped on the barrel, wouldn't be using them and I think the mounts are ugly and ruin the clean looks. I'd want to remove them but not sure anything could be done about the holes left. Are there any options or should I just look for another rifle? Thanks
    Chris

Fill em in with solder or set screw
    Or get a period correct scope
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Pachmayer sell a scope mount screw kit (about 260 pieces) with quite a selection of 'blind' screws.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Should be able to remove those scope blocks and put 6-48 plug screws in the holes
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Never trash those screws you remove from any firearm you buy. Think they come in two variations. One is just a screw to plug the hole. The other has a slight ring around it so the screw will only go in so far. Have a small pill bottle clearly labeled as to the contents. When it comes to firearms there is very little I don't throw out.Frank

Boolit Grand Master

What is the spacing on the blocks ? If for modern scope then it may detract from value if they are correct for a period scope then it may be a plus. I believe the closer spacing is 7.2" for 1 min and 17 for 1/2 min on the MVA scopes. If other then the period scope adjustments wont be correct. External adjustment scopes are dependent on the ring spacing.

Removing the blocks and using blanks to fill holes is an acceptable practice. If you really want the holes totally gone then use screws long enough to bottom out remove head and file down to barrel then refinish.

Removing the blocks and plugging the holes with blind screws the shop may throw in to seal the deal the only thing showing will be the driver slots, if these line up parallel with the bore then it wont be as noticeable

Boolit Man
    I'll just use some plug screws like comes in rifles already tapped, probably have some already as I never get rid of gun parts, have a couple of Tackle boxed full of parts and screws I've removed over the years. Thanks for the replies.