Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model 10 Smith strength enough to go to .357

Model 10 Smith strength enough to go to .357

I have a friend who is crippled shoulder wise and needs to hunt with a pistol. Pistols are unobtanum at the moment so I got to thinking he could use my model 10 smith and wesson- model 10-11 made in 1999- if I had the cylender bored from .38 to .357. THe cylender wouldn't be marked and I am unable to shoot heavy pistol loads in anything so no one beyond me would know the cylender was extended.
    He probably wont even hunt as badly hurt as he is. I would like to keep his outlook as good as I can. He certainly cant hunt with heavy enough loads to near heavy or +p territory.
    The reason I can't put together +p .38 loads is I have a colt .38 match pistol i want to soldier on for the next several centuries and won't have any heavy 38 loads in my inventory. The colt is my pride and joy and I will not have the possibility it gets stressed by even one not weak-titted load.

So, is a model 10 built in 1999 strong enough to drill out to .357 for occasional shots in .357? I cannot shoot heavy loads in any pistols with my inventory of injuries so this thing will get shot at most ten or 15 times in magnum loads.

I'm having a little resistance from the nephew who will mill the holes to .357. He says get a .357. I say, suggest, it is a kframe like my long ago model 19 which was in .357. What say you?

Ted

Boolit Buddy
    Since you asked...

I'd say this is like trying to remove a bolt with a too-big socket because you don't have the right size. You may get away with it---but if you bugger the bolt beyond removal, you'll wish you had used the proper tool. But I sense you have already made up your mind.

You point out that no one 'would know the cylender [sic] was extended.' I assume you mean the chambers. So if you sell it without disclosing what any ambulance chaser would call a potentially dangerous alteration...I suggest using your friend's ID.
    Last edited by El Bibliotecario; 09-06-2020 at 03:25 PM.

This is a very bad idea. The heat treatment of the Mod. 10 and the magnum models is different. I once knew a gunsmith and a Sheriff's Sgt. who did this on several Mod. 10s. S&W became aware of their conversions and sent them a very threatening letter from their legal department, explaining the difference in strength, and advising them that they'd face legal action if they didn't stop. You might get away with it for awhile, but maybe you'll have a hand grenade with the first shot. Don't do it.

Banned
    I'm not following your logic even a little bit.

I'll just cut to the chase - don't do it.

Answer: NO

FYI: even the K frame 357’s had know issues with repeated use of 357 loads—at least that is what I have read a few times in the gun magazines over the years.

Also, as Der said, I believe the heat treating is different.

Is a .357 even legal for deer?

So the thousands of 10-6 model tens that came in .357 were bombs? Did they blow up on the New York State police holsters or did they just blow up willie nillie? Maybe they were recalled by the Smith and Wesson people when the legal department realized what some fool did building all those guns for the unsuspecting police. Or maybe that was before a bunch of bitter, angry keyboard kings decided they could batter a person with a legit question. You keep this up you won't have people asking questions because of fear of public humiliation by some tight-fisted geniuses who know everything that has ever been learned or discovered by anyone.

Boolit Master

I'll say hunt with the .38. A 358-429 or even a 200 gr. bullet loaded over a stiff charge will sail through the lungs of a well hit deer. That is of course if .38 sepcial is legal in you area.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    So the thousands of 10-6 model tens that came in .357 were bombs? Did they blow up on the New York State police holsters or did they just blow up willie nillie? Maybe they were recalled by the Smith and Wesson people when the legal department realized what some fool did building all those guns for the unsuspecting police. Or maybe that was before a bunch of bitter, angry keyboard kings decided they could batter a person with a legit question. You keep this up you won't have people asking questions because of fear of public humiliation by some tight-fisted geniuses who know everything that has ever been learned or discovered by anyone.
    You asked for opinions and you got them. Don't criticize them for giving you an opinion you don't like. That is my opinion.

Load the +P .38s and give them to him with the m10. That way they will never be fired in your weaker .38. I wouldn't ruin the value of an m10 for a stunt like this as a + P .38 placed correctly will kill a deer just as effectively as a .357 Magnum. If he's in weak physical condition to hunt a rifle or shotgun is called for anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I wouldn't, by the way what the heck is a "cylender"?
    All my revolvers have cylinders.

If it makes you happy do it.
    If for some reason your friend gets hurt you may be in a law suit.
    This is even if you don't modify it.
    Just something to think about.

Vendor Sponsor

You'll have to find a smith that pays the $2,200.00 annual "fee" as prescribed by the O **** stain EO of 7-22-2016 making conversions like the one you want to to from simple gunsmithing into "manufacturing." BATFE has the authority to go after those who don't ante up retroactively.

Just b/c it's a K frame (and S&W did indeed make K frame guns in 357 magnum) doesn't mean the cylinder is automatically strong enough to withstand magnum pressures.

I wouldn't do it. I would find another gun to hunt with. Who says it has to be a 357? If you can't come up with a decent 40 something caliber revolver to hunt with you aren't looking very hard.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

So the thousands of 10-6 model tens that came in .357 were bombs? .
    Sorry you got honest answers instead of confirmation bro.

That conversion might end up being like putting nitro-methane racing fuel in your car:
    It'll work,,,,, at least for a little while.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

This is not smart or reasonable. A m10 is a fixed sight service revolver. It is a K frame but m19s that are K 357s are built heavier.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    No model 10 was ever chambered by the S&W factory in .357, where did you get this info? Pure LGS BS.

The fixed sight NYSP .357s were not built on K-frames, they were L-frames.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Long time back. S&W made a run of M66 - 6" bbl'd for the LAPD. They were M66 but chambered for .38Spl as the Chief Ed Davis Did Not Allow .357Mag chambered revolvers to be carried, Period.
    According to a Retired Armorer they did not have the Heat-Treated Cylinders of a Model 66.
    These were all private purchases by individual officers through the Academy Armory Shop.
    Basically M67 with M66 - 6"bb's.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Another nail in the coffin of this idea is that K frame 357 cylinders (M13, M19, M65, M66) are longer than K frame 38 Special cylinders. Place a loaded 357 round along the side of your 38 cylinder to check this out.
    Last edited by Nueces; 09-05-2020 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Long time back. S&W made a run of M66 - 6" bbl'd for the LAPD. They were M66 but chambered for .38Spl as the Chief Ed Davis Did Not Allow .357Mag chambered revolvers to be carried, Period.
    According to a Retired Armorer they did not have the Heat-Treated Cylinders of a Model 66.
    These were all private purchases by individual officers through the Academy Armory Shop.
    Basically M67 with M66 - 6" bbl's.
    Hey--I remember those now. I had completely forgotten about them. Almost bought one as a PPC gun. I'll bet they're worth a premium now!

I know what you're referring to here. S&W did make a run of Mod. 10s for NYSP, but if you research it you'll find that they received special heat treatment, as I have read many times. Try the Roy Jink's book, "History of Smith & Wesson." You're falling into the same trap the fellows I mentioned in my first post got deceived by. A Mod. 10 is a "K" frame, and a Mod. 65 or 19 is a "K" frame, but the heat treatment is different. These guys actually wrote an insulting letter to S&W and accused them of deception about the strength of a Mod. 10 in order to sell more revolvers of different models in .357. I wish we wouldn't have rubbed your feathers the wrong way, but if you don't believe us (after having asked!) why not call S&W and ask them. Phone calls now days are cheap, and they pay people to answer phones and talk to you. No one here wants to offend you, it's just that you have a bad idea; but, you're not the first to have it.

DG

Banned

all that expense and work and you still have a lame deer hunting cartridge that in my opinion is going to be less effective or at best no more effective then a 180 cast out of a 40 smith. Plus you destroyed any value the smith 38 had because only an idiot would sell something like that to an unsuspecting buyer. No self respecting gun shop owner would touch it with a 10 foot pole. Id about bet if your buddy went on sites like buds hed find something that started with a caliber starting with .4 About the only guns in short supply at shops around here are 9s and snubby 38s. Not to many yuppies are flocking to the gun shop to stock up on 44 mags or 45 colts and most of them never heard of a 41 mag. You want to hunt deer with a pistol do it right or dont do it. Buy yourself something starting in .4 and shoot it extensively for a year till your competant with it. It makes me cringe to think that someone would punch out a model 10 or 15 and buy a box of 357 ammo and think there ready to kill a living creature humanely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast