RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I have the Saeco 315 which is their benchrest bullet

Boolit Master

I have the Saeco 315 which is their benchrest bullet

I have a Saeco 315 which is their benchrest bullet. What I am having problems loading a loaded cartridge into my model 70 match rifle. I've heard of bullet nose diameter reducing dies. I have to mention that the rifling in the throat is almost new and I'd be suprised
    if the rifle actually had enough rounds down the barrel to even slightly allow this particular bullet to pass into the throat. I have to fight with the bolt to get a loaded round to fully seat in the chamber. Ball park reduction would be on the order of .003-.004 and only part of the nose needs to be resized. So my question is are these dies made commercially or special order. Thanks for any assistance. Frank

Boolit Master
    I'd make a pound cast of the throat/leade and then you'll know what your dealing with. You might have to do no more then change a sizing die.

Moderator Emeritus

If you are seating into the lands you might need to shorten your cartridge to get it to chamber. A pound cast or a way to check chamber length will help.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    AFAIK that is a tapered boolit, some throats let you seat it out far, others not much at all, either way it is a very accurate boolit unless it's base dia is smaller than your bore.

Boolit Master
    I have some that I cast sometime ago so will measure them to find out the diameters. Those Saeco molds do cast a beautiful bullet. Thanks for your input. Frank

Boolit Master
    I've used the #315 for thirty or more years, off and on. While very accurate in many rifles, I prefer a heavier bullet. I have no #315s on hand to measure, but with the taper, chambering shouldn't be a problem with this bullet. How does the M70 chamber handle other bullets?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Coat a reload with a magic marker. Chamber & extract it. Look where the scratch is .... bullet or brass or both
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I have a couple dummies made up with the 315 and an old Saeco copy of their RG-4 bullet. Will have to dig them up. The M70 is an old M70 target rifle with what I would call a excellent to mint bore and very little wear in the throat. Bought it years ago and it's still in that same shape. Figured what with the virus I'd go on a casting binge for both bullets. Also have an old NEI mold that casts a 180 grain round nosed bullet with a wedding ring just below where the round nose turns into the bore riding section is. Walt Melander designed the bullet when he had his shop in Oregon. Frank