Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Sierra 110 JHP Varminter bullet in .30 Carbine ??

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama

Sierra 110 JHP Varminter bullet in .30 Carbine ??

Seems most everybody is out of the normal 110 SP and HP bullets used to load for the carbine but several have supply of the Sierra Varminter in 110 grain . Have any of ya'll ever used this bullet for the .30 Carbine? Only interested in info for use in the carbine itself not single shot pistol . Thanks .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 09-13-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

Have tried it, will work but too shallow an ogive. Has to be seated deep to fit in magazines. Case mouth may be unsupported.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Thanks Larry . That's exactly the info I needed .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Believe it or not, the proof round for the M1 carbine was a 150 gr FMJ! Obviously it had to be single loaded. I don't know about the powder charge though. I have one of the proof rounds in my collection, but I'm not about to tear it apart to find out.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I found the Speer 110-grain Varminter the bullet of choice for the Ruger .30 Carbine Blackhawk, 7-1/2" revolver if I wanted better penetration than obtained with a "varmint" bullet, in which case the .309" Hornady 90-grain XTP was best. I never got the Speer Varminter to feed reliably in my 1944 Inland GI carbine, but I confess that I left my DCM gun completely as-issued and never polished the feed ramp. The various 110-grain JSP bullets from Remington, Speer, Hornady, Sierra all feed fine, give deep penetration and expand well enough in full-charge loads. I would use them for home defense, but they are less than ideal as deer loads, being inferior to a 7.62x39 or .30-30 with factory softpoint loads.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I've used the 100-110 gr speer plinker which has the half jacket and the rest lead part of the bullet, Also used the 110 gr varminter, sierra 110gr hollow poink and some Czeck 65-90 grain bullets from Czech submachinegun ammo. The latter shot the worst.The varminter was the best for overall accuracy and the little plinker was second in accuracy. Don't hunt anymore so sll of my shooting is punching paper. Frank

SP and HP bullets are out there, you just have to know where to look (and be willing to pay the sometimes ridiculous prices)!

Here are some-

30 Cal .308 Diameter 110 Grain Round Nose

500ct .30 carbine Speer 100gr plinker bullets

SIERRA 30CAL 110GR RN M-1 CARBINE BULLETS

Remington 30 Caliber 110 SP Bullets - 69 Total

I've been casting from an RCBS 30-115-SP mold and the bullets feed flawlessly and shoot with wonderful accuracy, so my plan is to send the mold to Hollow Point Bullet Mold Service and have it converted to a hollowpoint mold like this one only with a smaller HP cavity to preserve the bullets profile. Then I won't be beholden to bullet makers.

So watch Gunbroker like a hawk. A few weeks ago I bought 200 ea. Remington 110 gr. RN soft point bullets for $30.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Have ya tried 90g XTP? I have shot a bunch in the SS 300 BO and them buggers PREFORM!!! Even way past 30 carb velocities!! Great lil bullet and pretty cheap!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Have ya tried 90g XTP? I have shot a bunch in the SS 300 BO and them buggers PREFORM!!! Even way past 30 carb velocities!! Great lil bullet and pretty cheap!

CW
    Attachment 267866

That's out of my M1 Carbine.....Very deadly on varmints and a great home and SD load.

Attachment 267867
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I had a highly sporterized carbine a few years back. Fancy stock, Blue and scope. Unfortunately as neat looking as it was, it didn’t shoot that well. I tried several bullets and the Sierra 110 was feed problem. The Speer 110 HP was not , nor the RN FMJs of Sierra. I’m talking function only- nothing shot well enough for me to keep the rifle. I still have 30 carbine bullets out the butt from trying to get that gun to shoot. I have couple boxes of Hornady 90gr XTPs. I didn’t have them at the time and haven’t shot any yet. They are .309” dia. I’ve been using the carbine bullets in 16” Marlin 30/30. It shoots them all within acceptable hunting accuracy at 100yds. Wonder what they will do up around 2000fps? They should be like a bomb on varmits. I forgot to add in the M1 carbine I also shot GI ball, Rem & Win commercial ammo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Attachment 267866

That's out of my M1 Carbine.....Very deadly on varmints and a great home and SD load.

Attachment 267867
    Yup!! . Looks good Larry!!!

Its many guys favorite as a plinker or SG bullet in the BO/Whisper. Trail Boss and this bullet is another guys with suppressors like.

I dont like TB and jacketed.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw