Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee TL430-240-SWC

Lee TL430-240-SWC

I have acquired one of these moulds with the intent to use it for quantity plinking bullets at around special to skeeter levels out of my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Do I crimp below the front driving band or over it? I know I can do either, I mean, whats everyone else's experiences.

I've read some on it and I've seen both good and bad reports for accuracy and leading. So I reckon I'll travel a trail often traveled and find out for myself.

Anyone have anything to offer by way of experience I'd appreciate it.

Bazoo

Boolit Buddy

I see no reason that this boolit won't satisfy your intent, of course "fit" determines everything. I shoot several different SWC designs thru my SBH that I am very happy with. I try and stay at or below 900fps and really enjoy the results. I'm personally loading with 4.0 gr of Clays at the moment with a minimum of crimp and it's my most accurate 44 plinking load to date. In fact, I probably won't be looking at another bullet or powder for some time

Well I got it running and cast some bullets. Shame, on the fat they are .430 but the skinny is .4285. Probably about 1/8 of the bullet is undersized. I'm going to load 100 and shoot them but I don't expect much. Probably end up beagling it but it shouldn't take much.

When I got it, there was a burr around the bullet holes at the mould top. I shaved it off with a razor knife. I stoned the block faces very gently to remove a couple burrs at the cavity edges. Bullets drop easily.

Am I happy? Yep, considering I have 7 dollars in it from my trading. I wouldn't be happy if I'd spent hard earned money though.

Anyways. We'll see how she does.

I often use that CB in my SBH, but find crimping a bit troublesome since the [crimping] groove is so shallow. With 8gr. Unique, I find it to be just as accurate with a taper crimp. It is quite accurate, but not quite as much as the Lyman and RCBS Keith designs I have.

Boolit Master
    I use it. I Taper Crimp on the top most groove and keep velocities at 1,000 FPS or less. Never had one jump the crimp. Mine cast out at .430"+; I don't size them. I get some minor leading....I use a jag tip, with a thin cloth and a patch of brass to clean it out---I can do so with just a few passes. The brass patch is from a 1" pipe screen.

I use that bullet for my S&W model 69. The as-cast diameter is 0.430", the same as the chamber throats. They shoot well with no leading. I tumble lube them with Lee Alox and load with 7.5 gr. Win-231. The cases are crimped to the bullet second lube groove.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Master
    I have a six banger and shoot as cast lubed with LLA thinned with a little mineral spirits.

I drive them with titegroup or clays.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

I have that same mold, my second mold. The first was an old used Lyman 429421 single cavity. I used a lot of the T/L bullets in my 44 Magnum and Special reloads and roll crimped in the second lube groove from the nose. But it didn't seem to matter how far out of the case as far as accuracy/performance is concerned. I tried several different OALs crimping in different grooves...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I also use the lee TL430-240-SWC for pretty much the same reasons. In 44 SPL/Mag cases I load it usually over Bullseye or 700X for 44 SPL velocities out of my revolvers. I load it in the 44-40, again over BE or 700X, for use in my Ruger OM Vaquero and Chiappa M92.

In 44 SPL/44 Magnum and 44-40 cases I seat to and crimp (light roll crimp) in the first lube groove. In 44 Special cases if I load Skeeter's load [7.5 gr Unique] I seat and crimp in the 2nd lube groove which gives me instant visual recognition of the load.

You might try adding a liitle tin to your alloy and casting at 700 - 725 degrees for better fill out and round bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I fired some of the box I made up and I got minor leading consistent with the gun, reasonable accuracy, and mild recoil.

I'm thinking on working a load up, in magnum cases, using bullseye, to get me in the +P range. Anyone have suggestions to this? The casings are Hornady and are trimmed to 1.255, so .020 shorter than normal. Might make a good all around plinking load.

I also am going to work the same load but with the RCBS 44-245-SWC, so if anyone can offer bullseye suggestions here that'd be great too.

Both bullets I'm thinking, pressure range below the skeeter level but still with more authority than special levels.