Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first bear

Boolit Grand Master

My first bear

I've been dreaming of hunting black bear for many years. After failing to draw for a number of years, I decided to give it a go in the no-quota area. It was a 4 hour drive to the area I thought would give me my best chance. I had two baits out, but only one got hit. Thankfully it was the one I would rather have anyway. This was public land, only accessible by boat. On top of keeping hunters out, it also made for easier work for me. I drove up every weekend to rebait, and had a bear on this site within two days. Over the course of three weeks, I never saw anything huge, but I was more than happy. Not only was I getting multiple legal bears, they were coming in reliably, and well into the daylight. 8am and 4pm were the key times.

Those who say baiting isn't easy are not kidding. Between all the gas and travel time, gathering bait, setting up the site, etc. It is one of the most time consuming hunts I've done. Baiting is simply the only way you will ever be successful in this area though, so not much you can do about it. By comparison, I thought the sitting and shooting would be a slam dunk. I was half right. I couldn't leave early, so I missed opener morning. The camera showed bears had been there at both 8 am and 10 am. Just after noon, when I was ready to head out for the first sit, the wind started picking up. Howling 20+ mph, and from the south. I had my entire setup for mainly northern winds, but east or west wouldn't be bad either. I had to set up on the opposite side, the ground blind out in the open like a lump on the side of the hill. The spot I originally intended, I had brushed in heavily. To make matters worse, I forgot the thermacell, and the mosquitoes really got me. I did not see anything except a skunk come in.

Wednesday, I had a bear coming in right at 8am. I don't know if I spooked it, or just bad luck, but it ended up walking right on by, never giving me a clear shot. The wind again howling, I sat over the empty bait all day until things settled late in the afternoon. Around 7pm, I noticed a second bear coming in. When it got behind some brush, I tried to raise the rifle. I really doubt it heard or saw me, but for whatever reason, it knew something was up. After a few seconds, it turned right around, and ran back into the swamp. That night winds continued to howl 20+ mph from the SE right up until about 10:15 pm, when I noticed thunder. A quick check showed something bad was coming in. As it turned out, an intense storm from the NW was coming in at 60 mph, and collided right on top of the area with the strong SE winds. The result was a storm like I've not experienced while camping before. The wind instantly changed to a NW intense 70 mph gusts, sideways rain, nickel size hail. I took shelter in the truck. It came in hard, and just like that, was over in less than 10 minutes. The hammock made it through the ordeal just fine, and only a couple trees came down.

The next morning winds were still very strong, but had died down to the previous 20 mph or so, although this time from the west. This allowed me to set up my blind in the brushed in spot, which is better hidden, and has clear shooting lanes. I did not see anything, and at noon decided to head in for lunch, and possibly find some smelly bait to help me out. I ran into a local who hunted bears, and we got to talking. He said they can be skittish about smell, but over bait, anything can happen. It will be over in seconds. This left me with renewed confidence, and I resolved to not go near the bait to keep my scent down, and simply sit back down in the blind. The wind started to calm to more normal levels, and the sun came out. Naturally I fell asleep in the blind. I had been sitting alert since 4pm, and right at 5pm this boar came strutting in. He wasn't nervous like wednesday, he came in like he owned the place. No drama, brought the rifle up, and shot him middle of the middle. He let out a nice OOF, and sprinted about 30 yards before tripping over a log. Seconds later he let out the death moan.

I hit exactly where I intended. I was a bit skeptical about the "middle of the middle" shot, but as it turns out, that center punched the lungs, and took out a chunk of the heart. The rifle was my TC Renegade 54 caliber with hand cast round ball, the bait he was standing on was 36 yards away. The ball expanded nicely to at least 3/4", and exited the far side. The lungs fell out in chunks. Thankfully it was easy going with the game cart, only 200 or so yards to the boat. All in all, it was a great trip. They always are whenever you combine water and hunting. I hope to do it again next year.

I have no idea what he weighted, but it is similar to our deer 150-200 pounds. By comparison, I am 6'5" 320 pounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2020-09-03-17-41-09.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	267226

Name:	0903201738.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	267223

Name:	Screenshot_2020-09-03-22-24-09.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	267224

Name:	Screenshot_2020-09-03-22-22-29.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	267225
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 09-04-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Congrats on your first bear. I got my first one last year. I know exactly what you mean about all of the work involved in baiting. How soon do you plan on going again?

Boolit Master
    Great Bear, Great Pics, & Great story! Thanks for Sharin'

Boolit Grand Master

We are only allowed one per year, so hopefully this time next year.

Boolit Master
    Great story, I enjoyed the read. That’s hunting, round balls still doing the job too. Question, you got a camp picture? I use my Hennessee as my primary camping shelter, hammocks work well.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

This was from a different day, but the setup is the same. It is a Dream Hammock, the Raven model. It is double layered, and I got the cinch buckle straps. I have used ground pads, but I really like this UTG underquilt. It is like sleeping on a heated cot. It was rather warm, only dropping down to 45 degrees at night, but all I needed on top was my Fairbo wool blanket. The tarp is the Superfly from Warbonet, and is great when the weather really turns sour like it did. In the first picture you can see the gun pouch with my S&W model 57 hanging from the ridgeline.

Last edited by megasupermagnum; 09-04-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, nice setup. Several years back, I was camping in a state campground in my hammock. Came a downpour, like 3 inches of rain. I almost slept thru it! Got up in the morning to everyone pouring water out of their tents and trying to wring water out of their stuff. I had left my hunting boots hanging by the laces over a line under the edge of the tarp. Poured water out of them but that was all that got wet. Good thing I am happy barefoot, boots took all day to kinda dry. I had several other guys asking about my setup that afternoon! I need to make me an under quilt, but other than that your setup looks like mine. 50 degrees can get cold without the underquilt, I have been using a heavy fleece blanket when near a boat or truck, dang things to bulky for hike in.
    Have been asked if I was worried a bear would consider me a snack, all wrapped for him! My 696 lives in the ridge line bag.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    A good friend of mine is a MN veteran of a foreign war. He gets a tag for a quota area every year. I'm like you and have to build up preference points. He shot a 250# bear a couple days ago, a 330# bear last year (mine weighed 208#). In the past, he got a 408# bear, all via the same outfitter, where 13 hunters of the 14 present got bears in a week. Since he has 4 or 5 trophies in his den, his wife tells him to shoot a nice young meat bear each year. Last year, it took him 2 days to admit what he had shot.

Boolit Grand Master

I have never once been bothered by a bear, they are simply too smart. Deer on the other hand walk right up to almost touching before freaking out and making their scared wheeze EVERY SINGLE TIME. If they did it once and ran away, fine, but they sit there and do it over and over until you are good and awake. When I pick a spot, I try and get off of the deer trails, but it only works sometimes. I once had a racoon run up my tree, but that was no big deal. My big worry is people. You get back into some of these state and federal forests, and there are some strange folk out there. I've never had any issue, but once in a while you cross paths with someone with one tooth left that makes you wonder what kind of drug operation they have going on.

Your run of the mill pop up tent sucks. That's all there is to it. I've tried a number of them, and my favorite was an aluminum framed one, but it was still prone to getting wet, bugs, and bumpy ground. Unless you have a thick self inflating ground pad, or air mattress, they are not that comfortable.

Canvas wall tents are great. I would live in one. We used to sleep in them in boy scouts, and we went through some real crazy storms, and they hold up great. They still get wet inside, but being as you use cots in them, it's no problem. The wall tent's only problem is that it is huge and heavy.

Sleeping in your car or truck works ok, as long as you have room. Mine is always stuffed, so to sleep in it, I would have to put the stuff outside. It does work well though.

Trailers, or campers are good too, but then you can't tow anything else like a boat.

Hammocks are great. They are dry, they are comfortable, and with the right set up are as warm as anything, maybe warmer because you stay dry. Other than the buzzing of mosquitoes, most bugs are a non issue. My entire set up with blanket packs up into about half the space of my big backpack, my wool blanket alone probably weights as much as the hammock, tarp, and underquilt combined. The only draw back is you need to hang them. I'm not sure how one would work out in say, Nebraska. I do have a couple 2x4's I screwed together that can be used to support one side. I tie to one tree, then loop the other sides stap over the 2x4's, and then finally anchor to something like the hitch of my truck. I've only ever had to use that system in places like parking lots for dirt bike races. I've always been able to find 2 trees. Any two trees about 12' to 40' apart, and I'm in business.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 09-04-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Boolit Master

Great bear hunt story, great description of the gear. In the boy scouts, I used a mesh style hammock and a tube tent. I strung a line over the hammock so the tube tent was suspended and around the hammock. I just climbed in and pulled the tube tent over me. Every time it rained the other guys had to deal with their leaking pup tents and I woke up dry. The only problem I had was the down sleeping bag compressed and therefore I literally froze my but off. The fix was to put my sleeping pad in the hammock, problem solved.

My brother and I saw a hammock that was different, you strung it up but the hammock was strung laterally instead of length wise. The rain fly was unique and covered well. I also think there was an optional netting for the bugs. Funny thing, I didn't have mosquito problems as I think the plastic tube tent was a deterrent to gnats and mosquitoes.

My bear story is pathetic, never bagged one. Last fall I tracked a bear for 350 yards when I lost his track in a creek. I probably could have picked up his track but my hunting buddy wanted to go back out for deer. He bagged a deer and a bear some years back and shared some bear sausage and venison steaks. I was hoping to return the favor. This year, he is too in-firmed to go this year. We might go for a few drives in the woods but hunting is out of the question.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nice bear! Imo playing the wind is a major factor along with setting up your blind as far away from the bait as possible and still get a good shot. Next time I’m drawn I plan on setting up a good 50 to a 100 yards from my bait. The last two times my buddy and his kid got drawn All the Bear that were coming in at all times of the day disappeared. Same with another buddy of my mine. He’s been drawn three times and evert time he instantly nocks all the bear nocturnal on opening day with his smell imo sitting within 15 yards of his bait. Imo they all sat way to close to the bait. Bear noses are way better then ours and were are not in Canada where bear are like flies and there is way to competition for food. I have to normally drive 4.5 hours one way to bait myself. Ive also learned by the time I buy all the bait and gas back and for every weekend to do so it cost me more in the end then any of my guided hunt over bear bait in Canada trips. Still WAY fun...but ALOT of work! If always feels good to know it paid off doing it all by yourself, doesn't it!!! I’ve shot one with bow and two with gun so far. Maybe I’ll cast boolit my next one.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-05-2020 at 09:31 AM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

really great Job MSM!!!! i knew you would get one! you planned it, did the work, and came home with a nice eater!!!! Good for you sir!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    What a great hunt ! Congratulations on your bear .
    It sounds like you earned it .

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I wish I lived closer to Northern WI. I’m on the southern tip...on the IA/MN boarder. I see WI changed the zones again so it’s now legal to hunt bear anywhere in WI if you get drawn. I have only seen one bear and tracks on my land in over 40 years so I have to go up north to hunt. I saw two bobcat this year though. One on trail cam and one I had to slam on my brakes two miles down the road at 10 in the morning running in front of my truck. I saw their tracks in the snow two years ago when coon trapping so I knew they moved into the area. Would like to know of the DNR dumped them off. My buddy who owns property about 15 minutes away from the other side of town has started seeing bobcat several times in the last two years as well. All I can say is they better leave my turkeys alone. I’d give up deer hunting to be able to hunt bear every year! If they expand the bobcat zones I’ll brake out my caller. I have called in over a dozen bobcat out in AZ.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-05-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Good job with your first bear.

Stomp
    nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently motivated fool

Horsepower will never be a substitute for shot placement

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks guys.

Tripplebeards, I read what you said in the past, and one of my considerations was to get back from the bait. Once I was fairly sure where they were bedding, and traveling, I picked a spot that I thought I could get a clear shot from a ways back. I cleared the brush, and brushed in a spot for a blind. It seemed to be well back from the bait. I was surprised when the rangefinder only found 36 yards. The woods I picked were so thick, there really isn't any way to get farther. Like you, I had noticed so many set up only 15 yards or so, and way up in a tree stand. They practically shoot down on the spine of the bears they are so close!

I never did like tree stands. Sure, being up gives some advantages, but most of those can be matched with a ground blind with a well picked spot. I forgot to mention, it rained every day I was out there, including the very first evening which had bits of frozen rain, not quite what I would call hail. Nothing beats the elements like a ground blind. This was my Lucky's Blinds canvas blind, not one of the cheap pop up's either.

Boolit Grand Master
    sounds like an excellent hunt
    camp sounded fun as well
    could you pm me with the set up you used
    it sounds like you have it down to a science
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Great postings

Thank you for sharing and the pictures

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    sounds like an excellent hunt
    camp sounded fun as well
    could you pm me with the set up you used
    it sounds like you have it down to a science
    Well, I wouldn't call it fun, but very effective. A lot of where I go involves the gray area of "stealth camping". Meaning I camp on public lands that don't particularly support camping. I show up after dark, leave before sunrise, and don't make noise. Cooking is done on some kind of stove, I rarely start fires.

In this case I was somewhere that did allow camping, but I still didn't do anything except sleep there. I'd be glad to go over the specifics of my setup, although I wouldn't call it a science. I'm always changing things. If you read into hammock camping, especially the backpackers who care about ounces of weight, you will find a lot of overly complex set ups. I like simple. I only use a single knot for any line that needs tying, a taut line hitch. Everything else is simple loops or clips.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast