Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knock about pants

Boolit Grand Master
    I wear Key bib overalls in the winter, both grandpas wore them, I like the fit. They are a bit warm for summertime wear what with the bib of denim over your stomach.

This year I started wearing what I always called painter's pants, in blue denim. Carhart's version is lighter than jeans, and has an extra pocket on the left leg that holds my cell phone. Key calls this style a dungaree.

Walmart carries this style of pant in the Dickies brand in a lightweight canvas, cheaper than the Carharts; but the first pair I bought had quality issues, the seam on one of the front pockets was missing for about an inch.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Painter pants have an advantage of being cooler (light color) and used them for a few years on the farm. They do show dirt and grime quite admirably however.

For many years now I use uninsulated bib overalls in the summer and insulated Carharts in the winter.

The overalls give a guy lots of CCW options.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Tractor Supply has their Schmidt brand. Been using them for years. Comfortable and give good service. All cotton too. They have blanket lined for winter. Almost that time of year again.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am way too cheap to buy anything from Duluth. They may the best product, but I will never know. My loss...maybe.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I've tried the Duluth stuff- good quality but overpriced. Most of my work jeans are Carhardt from the farm supply store.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    I settled on these for the cooler months.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/wrangl...nt-3W060.html?
    dwvar_3W060_color=3W060BR

I really liked Cabela's/Bass Pro's canvas zip off (convertible) pants for the Summer months. However, like everything else, they change suppliers and quality suffers. Most other brands have too long of an inseam for the shorts. I don't want shorts that go down to the knees................7" inseam is perfect for me. Otherwise, I'll stick with long pants.

Tried a pair of Bass Pro lightweight rip stop carge pants for this Summer and I like them. They are cool and light, plenty of pockets but I wouldn't call them ripstop. After the second washing, the reinforced zipper/crotch area is already starting to pull away.

So I went on Duluth's site, looking for cool lightweight pants. Ordered a pair of their CoolMax Fire-hose pants, which happened to be on sale ($63), at the time.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-d...-cargo-pants&e

Disappointed, that they are still made overseas, for that price point. Also they have asymmetrical cargo pockets.............none on the right side. Not a big deal to me, since I'm left handed. Don't know how righties deal with it. Haven't had them long enough to determine their lifespan. Needless to say. I didn't return to their site to order any additional colors.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gone_rabid View Post
    I’m employed in the maintenance field and really enjoy the flex firehouse pants at Duluth trading. Lightweight, comfortable, stretch in places you need to stretch. I find myself wearing them all over as I bought the shorts as well.
    Yup. Bought these when Levi's went Left. All I wear now and I can CCW for really discreet doc visits in my front right bottom cargo pocket.

Boolit Master

But the Duluth last a Loong Time.

Haven't bought anything from the ripoff artists at sportsmans guide in 20+years. And I never will again.

Is Anything made in the U.S.A. that we can afford ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    But the Duluth last a Loong Time.

Haven't bought anything from the ripoff artists at sportsmans guide in 20+years. And I never will again.

Is Anything made in the U.S.A. that we can afford ?
    Prison Blues are US made. They are more than 10 bucks however.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

I ordered a pair of the CQR tactical pants off of Amazon for work for $30 and found them extremely comfortable and resistant to stains. Ordered three more pairs in different colors. I used the Propper tactical pants for a few years, but they stained easily and they raised the price from $30 a pair to $50. So I switched to CQR and found them more comfortable and a little nicer.

Just checked since I could use another pair and they raised the price to $38...

My favorite pants of all time were the green pants I wore when in Naval aviation on the carrier. Super comfy and durable and under $15 at the Exchange. Don't make them in my fat guy sizes though, I suspect.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I looked at the Dickie brand of cargo pants at WalMart last Thursday. They are light weight like I need in Dixie, but so cheap looking that I didn't buy any.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Moderator Emeritus

It is crazy when we have no problems paying more for lunch than we do for pants.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

At work i like to were these they hold up well https://tacticalgear.com/propper-uni...al-pants-black
    but at home it's Duluth Fire hose they go on sale a lot and the pockets are deep just right for a J frame
    https://www.duluthtrading.com/?srcco...16a55ff36dfe40
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Hmmm I don’t think Mama won’t let me out of the house in jammies... painters pants are intriguing but I’m really not good with white....
    Cabela's 7 Pocket Hiker Pants don't look like jammies or painters pants...
    they have a manly military look to them ... mama would let you out in public with them .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

when im not in wranglers or carharts im in sweats.

Boolit Master
    Final resolution, we hit our local Gander Outdoors this weekend and found some real tree pattern Camo pants for $14, lined Canvas work pants for this winter on the clearance rack and Momma insisted on some Columbia Cargos for work till they get worn or stained as usual that I can be see on public wearing.

The $14 set are the sacrificial lambs till they fall apart

Boolit Master

allamericanclothing.com Not cheapest but made here.

Boolit Master

I used to buy 5-11 BDUs when I was SWAT, but tru spec brand is serviceable and affordable. I still like cargo pants because of the utility of being able to carry useful items like a seatbelt cutter/knife, utility tools, spare magazines for my EDC.

Inner pockets that hold M4 mags also hold larger smart phones. I was so used to carrying gauze and ace bandages in my thigh pockets that sometimes I still do. Of course the gauze is sealed and ace bandage is new, but you get the idea.

I’ve responded to so many accidents off-duty that such things were practical in rural areas. Go box with rations and water, portable stove, you know, basic Boy Scout stuff. I guess I’m rubbing off, oldest daughter has her SUV loaded with such items, as does my Wife. MREs can suck sometimes but they store well in the trunk. Heck, HAM radio is a hobby but I’ve had to use it in the tall and in cut country.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Painter pants have an advantage of being cooler (light color) and used them for a few years on the farm. They do show dirt and grime quite admirably however.

For many years now I use uninsulated bib overalls in the summer and insulated Carharts in the winter.

The overalls give a guy lots of CCW options.

Three44s
    How do you ccw with bibs?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

I was at the local hardware/building supply store that has a fairly large clothing section with Carhart, Caterpillar, and Dickies work wear. I was waiting for some deck paint to get mixed, so I thought I'd look for some pants. They had some nice looking Dickies work pants. $62!!!

I just looked them up on Amazon and they are $29.99 in my size. I like to support local business, but not at 100% mark up.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12