Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Shotgun cups

Boolit Buddy

Shotgun cups

copper shotgun primer cups were used as jackets for 32acp. Current cups seem to be steel w/copper plating. I'm sure these cups are not suitable anymore, but are any manufacturers still using copper?

Boolit Buddy
    Corbon used to sell a die set to make 25acp bullets using fired shotgun primers. They made SWC style slug. At about .250 dia the 209 primers are too small for anything else. Some of these primers seem to be made from aluminum . This idea seems to be a dead end.

Boolit Master
    50 BMG primers make a very nice 3/4+ jacket for 32 S&W long 85gr swc.

I have used shotgun cups to make caps for my muzzle loaders and haven't seen any steel cups yet.

Boolit Buddy

I reload all brands of 12 ga. hulls. all the spent primers these days are steel= no good for jackets.

Boolit Master
    If you are talking about the inner cup on a 209 primer, the part that holds the anvil, the top of the line trap shells, Win. AAs, Rem. Premiers, FED. Gold Medal, Rem. Gun clubs still use copper cups. Any other cheapos like Estates, Eley, any European Chedittes, etc all use a steel alloy of some sort. I know about this because The cheapo primers are harder and wear firing pins or chip them early. I had to replace firing pins on my Kreighoff every year until I stopped using those shells. Other examples of cheapo primers are Fiocchi, Rios. Some of the big names may go to them as it saves about 1/10 of a cent to not use the copper cups.
    It's like some outfits using the same type of base for their shotshells, which are not as good as brass, which is used in the premier American made trap loads, just to save a few cents, doesn't matter that folks have to struggle to get the empty out of their chambers.