Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you have a Chrony I came up with a way to make it better

Boolit Master

If you have a Chrony I came up with a way to make it better

I have a Alpha Chrony. I don't use the steel rods and top screen with it as I know if you hit a rod, you will damage the version. For years I uses plastic soda straws as a sighting guide, but my Chrony would only work reliably on an overcast day. I tried an opaque plastic "tent" ...but it would not hold up to the wind and muzzle blast. I noticed two sets of slots on the steel Chrony box--- I fashioned a piece of corrugated cardboard to fit and cut out a "V" slot in it as a "guide". The width of the cardboard allows it to have a one inch edge on each side that I bent like an "L"...one can use masking tape to connect to the Chrony box. On the top of the now U shaped cardboard I stapled a 2" strip of opaque plastic milk jug plastic that works to stabilize the cardboard and makes a sky screen. I can now use the Chrony in bright sunlight. Sadly I cannot attach a photo as the insert image function on this website I have yet to master....I am a cut & paste person. In closing---Chrony should have developed this long ago, but I guess that they like the steel rods so they can sell new ones.

Boolit Grand Master

The very first Chrony I had, maybe F1- maybe just CHRONY, had black cardbord ends with an oval hole white letters marked scope and open sights, can't remember for sure but I don't think it had a diffuser top, you know 30 years ago.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Topic of these old models just popped up elsewhere

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...quick-question

Some replace the metal rods with appropriately sized dowels to allow for a better breakaway on the various chrony's

For the shooting Chrony (mine is red) a member sent me a scanned version of the original Oval hole "guides" and top diffusers. I glued a printed guide to a piece of heavy cardboard and cut the diffusers out of an old thin plastic cutting board.

Boolit Master
    The new ones don't come with that..I had mine for a good 20 years...they use a steel rod and a plastic diffuser cap.

Boolit Master
    Shooting Chrony is out of business AFAIK.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Use to use bamboo skewers to replace the steel rods.

Winelover

Boolit Master

My old one had the cardboard guides that were such a P.I.T.A. i tended to use it without which was a terrible mistake as I ended up shooting to low and killed it!
    The old ones did have a diffuser of sorts it clipped into the cardboard.

Second time I used new one I clipped the steel rod it did not damage unit but I never found the top part of the rod in my lawn! I glued to bamboo skewers together and cut them to length and they work great!

I get some really weird readings with the new unit in direct sunlight I find a beach umbrella fixes the issue quite well .
    One note on the new unit over the early ones some rounds have a lot of muzzle flash for instance my 10" Contender in 30-30 loaded with RE-7* would have to be over 50 feet away from early unit to get good readings ( 110 grain bullet at 2275 f/s @ 50 feet) . New unit 4 years old seems unaffected by flash so far .

* This was the older RE-7 that wad fine grains with red indentifers (not like red dot ) the current RE-7 looks almost the same as IMR-4227 and I have not loaded any in 30-30 but will have to work up any load all over again .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

I too use the bamboo skewers. I added masking tape flags to the front set to give me the vertical location to aim for. hey work great.

hahaaa...my first chrony...84 I think?
    Anyway...I cut this triangle tube from some of those voting signs, plastic corrugated boxboard-I think is the name?
    Cut 4 short wire stubbs that fit the chrony where the risers went & plugged the new sky tunnel into those stubs.
    Worked like a champ...as far as I know it's still working fine, I gave it to a kid over in Missouri several years back.

The backstop, if you are wondering is a trash can filled with rubber mulch.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post

Winelover
    Same here. I got a Labrador but still haven't used it yet. Told myself I have to finish the pistol range first. I hate myself at times

Boolit Master
    You'll like it. The LabRadar retired my Shooting Crony.

Winelover

Winelover
    Yupper! Very cheap and just the right size.

I ordered a sheet of translucent plastic from McMaster. Cut into strips with scissors it made a couple dozen screens. Milk jugs will also work but not quite as elegantly.

People malign the Chrony because the firmware is a little counter-intuitive. OK with me, people now give them to me. I have never shot a Chrony, but if I ever do I now have spares. I spent a small fortune on a LabRadar a year or two ago, but it's a LOT more trouble to make work than a Chrony, so it's gathering dust.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I've been using this method, (bamboo skewers), for many years now. Only took one mistake to get me to see the light.

Boolit Mold

Winelover
    Thank you for your advice....

Boolit Master
    Here were my mods to increase reliability and because it was shot once a 1/4 inch thick deflector plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chrony6.jpg   chrony5.jpg   chrony.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    For nearly 30 years now, I've never shot my chronograph. On day one I cut two 4 inch high bits of cardboard I put at the bottom of the diffuser supports; if I can see my targets I can't hit either one of the screens.

Boolit Buddy
    I use my Chrony stock as it came. It all fits nicely in the original box that way. I also look both ways before I cross a street.

Boolit Master

A fellow shooter told me "If you shoot your chronograph, you've got more problems than bullet speed spread"

Boolit Master
    as other have experienced in the past, a gas check can put your chrony out business

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    as other have experienced in the past, a gas check can put your chrony out business
    Wow, that's something to remember.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast