RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refilling 1lb propane bottle

Refilling 1lb propane bottle

Ive been thinking about buying one of theseClick image for larger version. 

Name:	61PHNYgYWpL._AC_SX425_PIcountsize-2,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	267197 to replace my ageing seva123 that i have used to melt lead with for the last 15 years or so. But anyways i was trying to find a way to refill a 1lb bottle out of my 80lb bottle to cut cost and stumbled on this and thought id put it here for others incase they would like to save money using there little torches and whatnot
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master
    I didn't watch the video, but I've been refilling the 1 pounders for some time now. It works fine, I put the empties in the freezer overnight, then refill 4 or 5 the next day. Harbor Freight sells the adapter.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    I have one as well, filled a couple last winter. Have you had any issue with them leaking down? Had one that just didn’t want to hold a charge, any fix?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I find it work best for me when I turn my 20lb upside down to fill. It fills with liquid propane, not just gas.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    id be a bit Leary to put a pot full of lead on that stove that screws to top of 1lb propane bottle without some more support.

I've used my little Coleman single burner before with a 3 quart pot on top and its a bit sketchy full of molten lead but it uses regular unleaded gas and is cheap to run.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Campi...51160566&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    id be a bit Leary to put a pot full of lead on that stove that screws to top of 1lb propane bottle without some more support.

I've used my little Coleman single burner before with a 3 quart pot on top and its a bit sketchy full of molten lead but it uses regular unleaded gas and is cheap to run.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Campi...51160566&psc=1
    My lead pot sits on a homemade steel stand that aint goin anywhere. My gas stove sits underneath the pot but doesn't touch it

I use one too. The bottles have what looks like a tire valve on one side near the screw stem. It is a bleeder valve that works opposite of a tire valve. You pull to let air out instead of push. So when filling use a small forceps to pill on it to bleed the bottle as it fills. I make sure this valve is at 11 or 1 oclock to keep from over filling the bottle. Fill with the big tank upside down so you get liquid propane going into the small bottle. I usually let the small bottle fill as much as possible before pulling on the bleeder valve, once it starts sputtering I let the bleeder close then turn off the big one. If you do it this way you will fill all but about 3/4 of an inch which leaves room for expansion when the bottle gets warm. Eventually the seal in the bleeder will go bad and the bottle is then trash.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Ill try ebay tomorrow and pick one up they are refusing my card tonight. They probably got a virus cause i just put my paycheck in my account so i know it aint my debit

There's a label on the bottle saying it's illegal to refill. Dumb question, is it really illegal and if so, why?

Dot says it is because the walls are thinner but propane on a hot day can get to 300 lbs. Its one of those at your own risk deals

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I have one as well, filled a couple last winter. Have you had any issue with them leaking down? Had one that just didn’t want to hold a charge, any fix?

I quit refilling the 1 pounders after I had the valve on a bottle I'd refilled three or four times stick wide open after removing the torch for storage. I wanna tellya you haven't felt fear until you've had mostly-liquid propane spewing wildly in a small basement with potential ignition sources all around. Never went up those stairs so fast before or since.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I think the DOT warning is in regard to transporting refilled containers. They don't want you to transport something that could explode or be hazardous.

Yes, the valves do not last forever on the 1lb bottles.

I do not bleed the bottles, just put them in the freezer and fill as full as they will go.

Due to the valves on the small bottles not sealing , I usually fill and attach the torch head or other type of device that will be used directly to the bottle after filling.

Boolit Master
    I have a hose and adapter that connects my larger tank directly to my small propane burner similar to that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Refilling 1lb propane bottle

I have the HF adapter. It doesn’t fill the 1# bottles up as fully as new. So they run out quicker. But this does prevent you from overfilling them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I think the DOT warning is in regard to transporting refilled containers. They don't want you to transport something that could explode or be hazardous.

Yes, the valves do not last forever on the 1lb bottles.

I do not bleed the bottles, just put them in the freezer and fill as full as they will go.

Due to the valves on the small bottles not sealing , I usually fill and attach the torch head or other type of device that will be used directly to the bottle after filling.
    This is my feeling.

I've had brand new bottles leak down. Be aware that it is a cheap valve. I don't leave them inside buildings without the torch/stove attached.

Watch those single stage $10 BBQ regulators too. They don' last forever and you can have 90 psi going to your burner. I've had it happen. That's why they are for outdoor use.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I refill my 1 pounders too. One thing I've found is that the "cheap" Ozark Trail bottles tend to leak out. The Coleman brand ones haven't. YMMV.

I refill 8-10 a year for camping trips....they work great.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I just use a hose to attach my stove to a 20 gallon bottle.

No messing with small bottles for any purpose unless I go hunting and need a small easily portable source of gas.

Over the years I have found (2) 20 lb bottles attached to BBQ grills on the curb for the trash pick up.
    With my own bottle I have (3) 20 lb bottles so I can easily load up on propane without messing with 1 lb bottles.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I quit trying this on-toe-cheap refill thing years ago. I have tried 4 different types of adapters and although they all work to get liquid in the little tank (you MUST turn the larger tank upside down and pull the relief valve out with needle nose pliers) 80% of the refills leaked either around the main valve or the relief valve. Lost way more propane gas than it ever saved me money.

That little "tire-valve" thing on the top is an emergency relief valve to prevent over-pressure and explosions. It is not made to be actuated but once in an emergency situation! The seals in it will not re-seat properly after that and all your gas will leak out.

Buy/user beware! Not a good money-saving idea. And the "illegal" thing refers to transportation of refills, especially across state lines.

And a 1# bottle will get you hardly any burn time for re-melting!!!!!! You will spend more time trying to refill than than you will ever do melting Pb.

Boolit Master

bangerjim,

Because of the leaking relief valve, I never actuate it. Freezing the small tank allows it to be filled mostly full, >50%, and attaching the torch or other appliance seals off the main valve to prevent leaking.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I once found 13(!) old 20 lb bottles on the side of the road right after they stopped refilling them. Most had at least 1/2 gas if not near full.
    Filled my van!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast