RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 1934 1903 Springfield Scout build

1934 1903 Springfield Scout build

Bought this sporterized Springfield a while back for another ‘03 idea that I had but decided to do a scout rifle out of it instead as while the bbl was uncut it had been turned down to make it lighter. I modded a demilled M1 Garand gas cylinder to use as a front sight and put it inside of the upper band. I will have the bbl threaded for the Vortex FH which will screw tight to the band. I still have a bunch of wood work to do but it’s tight as it is now. I plan on using a XS Clifton Mauser forward scope mount. When I carry it to my smith to thread the bbl I’ll have him turn the bbl down for the scope mount.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	090131E6-C924-477C-B454-C2DA4B3D9210.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	267172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C4878DFC-7F79-44A7-AA09-618EBE78FAC9.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	267173
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0F4AF803-6EAC-4627-AB50-C0C36F22C068.jpg  

Banned

What a thing to do to a 1903! To each his own I guess!

Name:	92CCA732-01F9-4B69-89B5-2277208277AC.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	267186
    I agree but it had already been sporterized by a po, recvr d&t for the Redfield sight and the 4 groove bbl turned down to lighten it I assume. The bbl dates were totally gone. All I did was bubba the bubba. Hurt my soul to cut a 4 groove but it was already ruined. When I’m done I’ll have a ‘one of’ Springfield Scout. Besides, I’ve already remilitarized two 1903 ‘sporters’ that bubba got ahold of. The short one was pretty much intact and only minus 3 inches of bbl and a rear sight and the long one [a Mk1] was d&t on the side next to the Pederson Device hole. Both are great rifles, I’ve shot them both in BAM matches. They don’t miss.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 09-11-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Boolit Master

Nice! Have you put it on a scale?

I like your project. Couple of questions: Tell me about the magazine? Is it a modified M14 mag? Using an M1 front sight on an 03-A3 is an interesting idea. How did this work out for height? Since the 03-A3 has that rear peep sight, I can see where it might be about right? Last, I'm kind of curious about the Vortex FH. Is this for looks, or for practicality? Or both?

DG

Name:	C9FECE84-3165-434F-B497-56FDCEA5DA5F.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	267218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4E7B127-D0B4-4E68-BEA8-3FCB78A83DA9.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	267217
    Thanks, DG. The mag is one of Sarco’s 10 rd mag extensions. Mine holds 11+1. Feeds fine on my other ‘03, haven’t tried it on this one yet. The sight base is from a boogered gas cylinder that I bought to experiment with [just to figure out my bbl and stock/ handguard dimensions] for my ruger mini 300blkout/garand build. I had removed the splines from it so it would slide onto my builds bbl. For this build, after sawing the sight base end off of the cylinder I used a wood mandrel and sandpaper to open the opening up to fit my ‘03’s turned down bbl. The height of the sights are very close. The Vortex fh is for looks as are most bought nowadays, don’t expect to be in a situation where hiding my muzzle flash is important anytime soon. Here’s a closeup. I like the vortex look and use them on a lot of my builds.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 09-06-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Makes sense to me. An interesting rifle and project. Be sure to post about your Mini/Garand build.
    DG

Not a big fan of putting guns which were made in the millions onto a pedestal.

Now if it's in really good shape (most aren't) then maybe leave it alone.

If it has been buggered in any way, or in poor shape IMHO it is fair game to be customized, and more importantly shot after you fix it up!!!!.

I have seen this with all makes of Military Firearms, and really found some "Dyed in the Wool Wanna be Collectors" in the Jeep World. Note: they don't actually have a Jeep, they just want to criticize yours!

If you think people chastise others for modding a gun, you should see what they do to a person who takes a rotted Old Dog Jeep and makes it into something nice and usable. The criticism never stops unless he returns it to its pristine original state,,, which everyone modified for better performance back in the day anyway!

I have a friend who owns Advance Adapters. His family has made a good living making Adapters to put every kind of engine, into every kind of Jeep, Toyota or ? with every kind of Tranny known to man for the last 50+ years and business is booming!!!

People like to make things their own! I built my own Jeep from Scratch just to make that point.

I also will mod any gun I own, any way I want, forever. Because it's mine to do with as I see fit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Also I usually make nice stuff that is usually an improvement over what I started with.

My .02

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-04-2020 at 07:46 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I really like the looks of that scout rifle. I've purchased a couple extra drill rifles when Dupage had them,also have a shortened barrel and a cut off C stock that could be spliced longer. I just need to get an extended mag and a donor gas cylinder. That would make a useful truck gun with a lot of class !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Not a big fan of putting guns which were made in the millions onto a pedestal.

Now if it's in really good shape (most aren't) then maybe leave it alone.

If it has been buggered in any way, or in poor shape IMHO it is fair game to be customized, and more importantly shot after you fix it up!!!!.

I have seen this with all makes of Military Firearms, and really found some "Dyed in the Wool Wanna be Collectors" in the Jeep World. Note: they don't actually have a Jeep, they just want to criticize yours!

If you think people chastise others for modding a gun, you should see what they do to a person who takes a rotted Old Dog Jeep and makes it into something nice and usable. The criticism never stops unless he returns it to its pristine original state,,, which everyone modified for better performance back in the day anyway!

I have a friend who owns Advance Adapters. His family has made a good living making Adapters to put every kind of engine, into every kind of Jeep, Toyota or ? with every kind of Tranny known to man for the last 50+ years and business is booming!!!

People like to make things their own! I built my own Jeep from Scratch just to make that point.

I also will mod any gun I own, any way I want, forever. Because it's mine to do with as I see fit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Also I usually make nice stuff that is usually an improvement over what I started with.

My .02

Randy
    I'm with you Randy !

I would never take a pristine, all original, historically accurate rifle and modify it. However, as you correctly point out - very few of them are original or pristine.

I agree the people that think vehicles should always be "all original" generally don't use those vehicles, other than to trailer them from one car show to another. The Jeep fanatics are some of the worst offenders. If you're going to put it in a museum, sure, restore it to as close to original as you can. If you're actually going to drive the thing - make it work for you.

I always cringe when I first see a small block Chevy engine in a Jeep or Toyota FJ40. Not because I'm opposed to it but because it is so often poorly done. I've seen some real backyard disasters. Kind of like the sporterized rifle by Bubba.

But then I see projects like yours; and admire the engineering and execution.

I understand maintaining some historically correct examples of cars, guns, airplanes, etc.; so we don't lose that history. But for those of us that don't take our cars to Pebble Beach Concurs d'Elegance or have guns that will never be in the Smithsonian.......I think we can set our own standards.

Boolit Grand Master

Very good "scout" project. Cooper in his writings on scouts mentions a M1903 scout made in 35 Whelen I believe. I made a 30--0 "scout" using a M98-30-06 once, Had a 20" barrel with an M15 flash suppressor and front sight. Back then my eyes were sharp and I used the Lyman SMJ receiver sight mostly. Was a very good set up......I shot the barrel out......current scout is a modified FR8 in 7.62/.308W with the same SMJ receiver sight, an M14 flash suppressor and the barrel turned down for a SA scout mount. Very handy and very practical. It's got a Burris 2x7 scout scope on it.

Attachment 267329
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Bought this sporterized Springfield a while back for another ‘03 idea that I had but decided to do a scout rifle out of it instead as while the bbl was uncut it had been turned down to make it lighter. I modded a demilled M1 Garand gas cylinder to use as a front sight and put it inside of the upper band. I will have the bbl threaded for the Vortex FH which will screw tight to the band. I still have a bunch of wood work to do but it’s tight as it is now. I plan on using a XS Clifton Mauser forward scope mount. When I carry it to my smith to thread the bbl I’ll have him turn the bbl down for the scope mount.

Name:	090131E6-C924-477C-B454-C2DA4B3D9210.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	267172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C4878DFC-7F79-44A7-AA09-618EBE78FAC9.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	267173
    I like the looks a lot, especially the extended mag, flashider isn't bad either.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Anyone remember reading about the Bushmaster 03 that was used in Panama during WW2. It was an 03 cut down to about 18" for jungle use. My Dad carried one, said it shot very well but was a bit loud.

I have picture of him in 1942 setting on a Jeep hood with one.

Boolit Bub
    Beemer, Yes, one is pictured in Brophys book. Do you have a picture of him with it? Jaeger.