RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Maynard 1873

Boolit Master

Maynard 1873

I was looking at a Maynard marked 1873, but it had a smoothbore. The frame was nickel and had a tang sight. I can't find any info on Maynard smoothbores.
    Any ideas?

Little more digging - it looks like they were sold with interchangeable barrels. This one is probably 20 ga.
    Last edited by Battis; 09-03-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    1873 Maynards were sold with two smoothbores, a .55 and a .64 bore size. Many think the 64 is a 20 guage but it is not. There were a few actual 20 guage barrels made later for the 1882 model Maynard but they are scarce. The 1873 model used a "thick head" case with a rim about 3/4" diameter x .135" thick. Barrels were interchangeable on the Maynards and rifle barrels will fit the frame. In fact you can use an 1882 barrel on an 1873 but you must use the thick head cases because the frame is different, the breech face is cut back on the 1873 models.

Boolit Master
    Good info. Thanks. I got home, did some research, then called the store and bought it. I'll pick it up in the next few days. Interesting gun. It looks alot like the Gallagher. I probably won't shoot it but it's a good addition to an oddball collection. Do the rifle barrels ever show up for sale?